New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New 2006 LTZ owner...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Default New 2006 LTZ owner...

Greetings! I just took possession of a 2006 Monte LTZ with only 44,000 miles on it - formerly owned by my in laws. Just getting to know the car, as I haven’t had it for even 24 hours yet... but I’m really happy with my purchase!

it did start acting up on the way to work with a “Service Traction Control System” alert popping up randomly on the way to work... but I’ll do some searching around to see what that’s all about. It did sit for a while - they only put 11,000 miles on it in 6 years (mostly in the first 3) so maybe it just needs some exercise.

Anyway ... hello everyone!

Old 12-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum Nice find!

Old 12-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Let me know what you find out about the traction control issue. I'm having the same issue.

Oh, and welcome!

Old 12-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome! Feel free to be a part of the members' blog, check it out and say hi > https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...e2/#post707946

The 'service traction control system' could be a wheel hub going bad. Have you gotten an ABS warning too? My 03 SS threw those warnings occasionally before it was determined one of my rear wheel hubs was bad - more so the sensor in the hub that goes bad and, since it's integrated into the hub, the whole hub needs to be replaced. The one bad thing about that situation is when it throws the 'service traction' warning it disables traction control, and in the winter that can be bad.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Welcome! Feel free to be a part of the members' blog, check it out and say hi > https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...e2/#post707946

The 'service traction control system' could be a wheel hub going bad. Have you gotten an ABS warning too? My 03 SS threw those warnings occasionally before it was determined one of my rear wheel hubs was bad - more so the sensor in the hub that goes bad and, since it's integrated into the hub, the whole hub needs to be replaced. The one bad thing about that situation is when it throws the 'service traction' warning it disables traction control, and in the winter that can be bad.
That was my first thought... my wife’s 2006 Saturn Vue has had bad sensors that would trigger the ABS light - oddly this was only happening for a second or 2 then the light would go back off yesterday... today on the way to work it came on and stayed on - ONLY the traction control light though not the ABS light. Also the passenger airbag was giving an error. I was about to post and ask if the airbag is tied into the seat heaters like they are on the saturns. Since it is just the trac control light and not the ABS it makes me wonder just what could be going on.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One of the best ways to begin resolving the "Service Traction System" message is to have the car scanned with a tool that can access the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module, aka the ABS computer). The GM Tech II can do that. It will then tell you the trouble code for that system and from there you can better find information to resolve the issue.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

But in the meantime ... PTAaron! LTZs come pretty well loaded, with like only two or three options; what color is yours? Of course you're always welcome to share any pics too.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 PM

On that note, does anyone know why they whacked the 3.9? Just the higher output of the 3.6? Had an LTZ been available to me anywhere other than a boneyard, I'd have been perfectly happy with that--it had the same hp as my Grand Prix GTP, with no drag on the engine.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sidestreet
But in the meantime ... PTAaron! LTZs come pretty well loaded, with like only two or three options; what color is yours? Of course you're always welcome to share any pics too.
Thanks, it is black with black leather... I’m loving all of the options! Definite “feature upgrade” from my 2009 Jeep Patriot!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
One of the best ways to begin resolving the "Service Traction System" message is to have the car scanned with a tool that can access the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module, aka the ABS computer). The GM Tech II can do that. It will then tell you the trouble code for that system and from there you can better find information to resolve the issue.
I’ll try to see if any of the local parts stores have a tech II capable scanner... they’re a little pricy to go out and buy one right now. My basic OBD2 scanner is apparently dead - check engine light popped on today so I tried scanning and it won’t link, same issue it was having on my Jeep and I figured it was the Jeep... guess it’s the scanner