New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

my monte is giving me a headache

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 AM

Did you ever get a chance to get your codes scanned?

Your blower motor sounds like garbage. It should spin freely and make little to no noise. Also check to make sure your blower is getting power to it before buying a new one. If there is power going to it then reference what it's suppose to have, if good rule out the module/resistor (I believe it's one unit but unsure)

I noticed you said you pressure tested a few times, did you pump it up to 16 and let it sit for a few minutes with no leak in pressure? If yes then you can probably rule the blown gaskets out.

One car I had awhile back I was rather ruthless on and my cat broke loose and plugged up the muffler itself creating to much back pressure and eventually started to warp the heads. Get your cat checked, bad running engines can also ruin the cat. Don't drive the car unless completely necessary until your overheating issue is fixed.

Also have you checked to make sure your cooling system is functioning properly? No air in system, filled with clean coolant, fans are turning on, thermostats opening, and no chunks of cheater gasket in it.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 PM

When I pressure tested it after the water pump installation I let it sit for about 5 minutes and pumped it to 15psi and the gauge did not move.
I haven't scanned the codes yet. But I will soon and I think I by this weekend I'll have the thermostat done. So I'll have an update about what's going on with this car

Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Thumbs down need someones help!

okay so I have a 2004 monte carlo 3.4 engine and I am having a over heating issue. All started my water pump was leaking, so I got that replaced and after that I starting having a issues with over heating, my needle on the dash board rises and drops all the time. Lately it has been getting worse, to were it goes all the way up to 260 and the light comes on and I turn it off and it takes at least 20 minutes for it to stop doing that, sometimes ill turn it back on and it wont rise at all past the half but other then that it will do it 15 times a day. I changed thermostat and water pump and flushed out my radiator to clear of any blockage. I bled out the engine yesterday and my heat worked all day (it was about 40 degrees) now today (-9 degress) I cant even get 3 blocks without it over heating and I have no heat or anything...does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to what It could be?? I need some type of advice before taking it to a shop and paying hundreds of dollars let me know if anything thank you everyone !!!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

@majj_25 - First, car cold, open the radiator, see if the it's full of fluid, if not, fill it up. Then, I'd get the loan-a-tool radiator pressure tester, leak test the car. If you have no leaks, attempt to re-bleed the cooling system. You have to still be riding with air in the system or air is getting into for it to appear to over heat in about 3 blocks.... Hot air can drive a temp sensor crazy. You may also have a bad temp sensor....

Do you ever get large clouds of white smoke or steam from the exhaust?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM

@The_Maniac okay right now my hood is frozen shut so I cant get into it, but my mechanic didn't change the sensor when he changed the thermostat which I told him to but supposably he said it wont make a difference, and yes I get large white clouds sometimes when I start my car and im trying to let It heat up, how does air get into your engine??

Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM

10 Year Member

If you have any coolant leak, that's how air would get into the system.

Those white clouds *might* be the source of your problem. Next time you notice some big ones, give them a sniff. If they smell like anti-freeze (which some people say smells sweet), then odds are you have a blown head gasket.

If the head gasket is blown, compression gases could enter the cooling system. This creates an air pocket, and it causes a crazy reading on the temp gauge. It will also over pressurize the cooling system. If this is happening, prolonged usages can cause other damage, such as blowing out a hose or radiator (basically, what ever might be weak). Now, the clouds.... When the car is off, the over pressurized cooling system releases some of that pressure to the cylinder(s) that are linked with the coolant passages by way of the damaged head gasket. That pressure can be air, it can be coolant. If it's coolant, when the engine is running, it will burn the coolant out (which runs as steam out the exhaust).

So you may want your mechanic to check for a blown head gasket.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 PM

@the_maniac okay, do you think that I should try checking my hoses and change my censor first?? because it reads over heating but after I check the car the coolant in the radiator isn't even hot its still cold what do you think that could mean?? some people are telling me change the censor and the hoses first but I don't know how accurate that could be?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM

10 Year Member

Honestly, if you are getting excessive white smoke, I'd pull the plugs, one at a time, compression test the engine and inspect the plugs (if you find one that is covered in coolant, you are into ripping the head out).
While you are at it, if the plugs have not been changed and are due, this is a great time to change them (unless of course you find coolant in a cylinder.

Here's what the shop book says about coolant in the cylinder:
DEFINITION: Excessive white smoke and/or coolant type odor coming from the exhaust pipe may indicate coolant in the combustion chamber. Low coolant levels, an inoperative cooling fan, or a faulty thermostat may lead to an "overtemperature" condition which may cause engine component damage.

•A slower than normal cranking speed may indicate coolant entering the combustion chamber. Refer to Engine Will Not Crank - Crankshaft Will Not Rotate .
•Remove the spark plugs and inspect for spark plugs saturated by coolant or coolant in the cylinder bore.
•Inspect by performing a Cylinder Leakage Test . During this test, excessive air bubbles within the coolant may indicate a faulty gasket or damaged component.
•Inspect by performing a cylinder compression test. Two cylinders "side-by-side" on the engine block, with low compression, may indicate a failed cylinder head gasket. Refer to Engine Compression Test .

Old 01-09-2014, 02:20 PM

@the_maniac okat thank you for the information! I went outside today after not running the car for the past 2 days just to get the engine running and see how it goes but I didn't drive it or anything and just let it run for about 20 minutes and after that 20 minutes it went straight to overheating and I checked under the hood and nothing is hot or smoking or anything and there is no smoking coming from the exhaust or anything...so im not exactly sure what could be going on?? I plan to take it in but id like to have a few ideas what to bring up to the mechanic, instead of having him rip apart the engine, im shooting for the cheapest plan to start instead of going in and that not be the problem and costing me more then necessary you know?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Well bubbles in the reservoir
Guess it's the head gasket. Thank you all for the help

Quick Reply: my monte is giving me a headache