New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Monte Fam

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Default Monte Fam

Hello fellow Monte Carlo enthusiasts! So glad I can join this forum. My name is Melvin. I am 24 and I work at Scottrade Brokerage firm. I am also currently in gradschool as well as running my own marketing business. In other words I am very busy. My wife and I decided to embark on a 3 year debt free plan which included selling my 09 Dodge Challenger R/T. As sad as it was to see it go, I am comforted by my 87 Monte Carlo SS restoration project. It was my dad's first car and he gave it to me when I graduated college. Talk about sentimental value! Anyway Im not well versed in autos but Im excited to learn a lot here Currently the car does start when its warmer, but there is a serious knock that sounds like its coming from the alternator. Well we arent getting any younger! Where do we go from here??

Old 11-04-2015, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by mbanks2587
the car does start when its warmer, but there is a serious knock that sounds like its coming from the alternator. Well we arent getting any younger! Where do we go from here??
I know all too well of the sentimental vehicles!! Well first, the knock probably isn't coming from the alternator It's most likely coming from the pass. side bank [behind the alt.] of the engine. Does the engine run? What happens when you give it gas? Knocking can be caused from busted push rods, bad ignition components, wrong timing, and exhaust leaks as well.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by MNmonteSS
I know all too well of the sentimental vehicles!! Well first, the knock probably isn't coming from the alternator It's most likely coming from the pass. side bank [behind the alt.] of the engine. Does the engine run? What happens when you give it gas? Knocking can be caused from busted push rods, bad ignition components, wrong timing, and exhaust leaks as well.

The engine does run. When I accelerate, the knocking increases in speed. Im going to get a tune up tonight so maybe they can solve the push rod issue. I wouldnt be surprised if there was an ignition issue. Im starting the car with a screwdrive because the key broke off in the hole. Timing could be an issue. Last time I worked on it I changed the spark plugs/wires myself 👀. I really took my time to make sure I put them back on correctly. Idk maybe a new distributor cap n rotor and spark plugs/wires are in order. Let me know what you think! Ill keep this thread updated as progress ensues. Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:15 PM

If it was me i would absolutely buy new plugs, cap and rotor.. I had a 350 with a bad main bearing last year that caused a wicked knock, they sell this stuff called "motor honey" which thickens oil, and made my knock almost silent. "CD2 lifter treatment" is another oil-additive designed to quiet (mechanical) knocks, i've had good results with both.

I also find that spark plug wires don't fail very often you'll save yourself some $ by testing the resistance of each with a multimeter ( super easy) if you have one... My 30$ multi-meter has saved me countless hours of guess work in diagnosing electrical issues.