New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Monte Advice/Help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Default Monte Advice/Help PLEASE

I'm wanting to purchase a "project" '86-'88 Monte SS to give to my father for his 70th birthday. This was the years he had an ss before us kids took more money to support.

What my goals of the project is: 1. super smooth ride, like riding on air 2. fuel economy to the max and then some

I'm looking at a '87 all original with a carburated 305 high output. What are some questions I should ask when looking at buying my project car?

What are some suggestions on reaching my goals?

I'm a dirt track racer so Chevy performance parts are already in the shop. What does the computer in those years control?

Can a guy go and take-out all the emmissions "stuff" and strip the motor compartment down to a basic system with no air sensors and computer wires, just a motor, carb, rad, just like my race car to make it super simple?

Thanks, guess that is more than a start.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'm going to direct you to a link
Removing the computer from your 4th gen

Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Welcome... smooth ride is nice, id suggest going to air ride systems. You can actually. Adjust the ride quality and height. You can swap to a lt1 or fuel injection. Im not too sure on more fuel economy on older v8s, I have never heard anyone asking about that.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sorry didn't reply much on my origional one,

With the 4th gens things too look at are,
The Frame, (front to back, the rear section below the trunk are known for rusting out,don't be supprised while looking into some of the mount holes if they are rusted out)

The body,(Check everything! Floors, quarter panels, windshield frame(A pillars), Botoms of the doors, see if there is any damage that has been repaired)

i was getting 17mpg in my 305(non HO) with the TH200 3 sd trans, so if it's an SS would come with the 2004r (4spd) and would probably easily get 20+ mpg

Computer controlls'
Carb,Dist,and tourq converter lock up

Easily removed, just put a non comp controlled q-jet or throw on a intake and Any carb you want or like me get and addapter plate and throw a squarbore carb on the spreadbore stock Q-jet intake

Then get a vac advance dist base and hook that up

and for the tourq converter you can get a non lock up one,(may have to do some modding in the trans) get a lock up kit like noted in the link i orgionally posted or wire up a switch but that's easy to forget about and would be easy to burn up the trans

Here's a pic of my top end pre assebled ( was just checking everything would fit cleanly will be stock 350 4Bolt with 305 heads, stock 350 q-jet intake, Edelbrock adapter(square to spread) Edlebrock 1405(i think) 650cfm stock polished gm vac advance Gm Dist base, accell supper coil

Like i said tho this was just a trial fit one day when i was bored so when i get done it'll be all clean and painted n what not