New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Mass air flow miss diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Default Mass air flow miss diagnosis?

Hello, I hav a 96 Monte Carlo n it has a remand engin in it, ithas given good service for 2 years, over 30,000 miles on it. A few days ago when I started it I seen a lil puff of blue smoke, jus thought something odd happend. Didn't think about it much. When I got a few miles down da road the check engin jus started flashing, when I made it to town n stopped, I noticed idle was rough, took it over to autozone n had them check it and two things popped up no.6 cylinder miss fire and mass air flow sensor. I was fixing to buy da maf when a worker suggested that I check vaccum lines first. I thought it over n didn't buy it. I got to checking around n replaced a few worn looking lines, n I replaced the plugs n wires, which didn't help any. So i went ahead n bought the maf, replaced it and no change. Idles rough, and when I pump da brakes RPMS fluctuate and sometimes it dies. It'll go down da road but jus as soon as I let off da gas RPMS fluctuate. Any suggestions? Thank you so much

Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 AM

Welcome to the MCF. I am not an expert on the front wheel drive Monte's but what you have going on some generic advice may work. You have a #6 cylinder misfire and you changed the plugs and wires which was a good start. I suspect that you have a coil pack that is breaking down. That is the next thing I would change out as well as checking all your vacuum lines for cracks and breaks. I am sure that other members will jump on here an offer more advice. You may also post your question in the tech section of the forum.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:35 AM

Thank you, mouse, I will take all advice..

Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 AM

You are welcome. I hope you find a quick and easy solution. Gregg.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Check the brake booster and the hose coming from it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 AM

Thanks again, Greg. I'm jus hoping it's not a major problem, like it leaking at the heads or intake. I checked da line going into da booster, but didn't think to check da booster itself, thanks, nitehawk.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, please do not double post (you started the same thread on two different parts of the forum).

Do you have the exact codes that were thrown?

The MAF can be cleaned 90% of the time with a special cleaner for the MAF sold at the parts stores (less then $10).

As far as vacuum leaks, get a can of starting fluid and mist it around all the vacuum lines as the car idles (including the brake line). If you have a leak, the line will suck in the starting fluid, thus you will hear a noticeable change in your car's idle. This gives you a good idea where to focus on.

As for the #6 cylinder, it might be worth popping the plug out and inspecting it (see if it's good or if it became damaged). You can also see if it's covered in fuel. Check the plug wire for signs of damage as well.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM

I dont have the exact codes.
I did clean the maf sensor and this did not change anything, i even replaced my maf with one off of a similar car, no change.
I did chang out all the plugs and wires in the front and the no.6 was covered in fuel, while the other 2 was dry n pretty clean.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Stacey billy
I did chang out all the plugs and wires in the front and the no.6 was covered in fuel, while the other 2 was dry n pretty clean.
Since the #6 plug was covered in fuel, it's obvious it's not sparking. Next step, inspect the wire, then inspect the coil.

If the wire is not damaged, check the other plug that coil controls. Each coil fires two plugs at the same time. If the other plug is also covered in fuel, I'd suspect the coil, maybe even the ICM (sits under the coil, AutoZone can test the ICM).

You can swap the coil with another one on the same car, see if the mis-fire follows the coil or the that cylinder. If it follows the coil, get a new coil. If it stays on cylinder #6, pull the ICM, have the parts store bench test it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM

thanks for the tips, maniac.

Quick Reply: Mass air flow miss diagnosis?