New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Made the switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Made the switch

Great looking Monte...was wondering how the stripes looked (I like!)

Old 05-01-2007, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Glenn, are you breaking it in on Synth or Dino oil? I'm just curious because I've heard lots of times that it's better to break in on synth if you plan on running synth. Unfortunately my car was purchased used, so I didn't have a chance to do that, but my coming oil change I'm making the move to synth. I've already got a 5 qt jug in the back seat wating to be utilized.

I am breaking it in on the original dyno oil. I don't know if it really makes a difference or not.I will, however, make the switch to synthetic on the first oil change, which I will do shortly after the breakin period is done. I am kind of surprised the V8 MCs don't come from the plant with synth in them like the Corvette does. Hmm...

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: omb76

Great looking Monte...was wondering how the stripes looked (I like!)
Thanks Dave.

I really dug the stripes when I saw them on the car. I would've been cool with or without them, but in the end I was glad I got them. I actually looked at a black SS with silver rallystripes, but living in sunny FLA I did not want to contend with a 'mostly' black car. They are awesome looking though, no question

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 05-01-2007, 11:53 PM

I changed mine over right at 400 miles on it to full syn. Mobil 1

And i have to agree why do they not put it in from teh Factory. I guessw we dont have the right emblems on our cars LOL
I know the Vets do it it is just a shame they dont think so hig of some of the other cars even teh Grandams and the Firechickes dont have the Syn. in them

Old 05-02-2007, 01:20 AM

In reality if you think about it if Chevy just came out and reccomended a particular brand of Synth oil (like they do for a certain weight) they could easily make up the difference with advertisement fees. Say Pennzoil says ok, if chevy puts in our synth oil from the beginning and we agree to give them X amount of dollars, or just give them the oil for free, they have to figgure they're going to make so much from Chevy reccomending that particular brand from the start. Not to mention, Chevy gets the benefit of increased protection and reduced wear on their warrantied vehicles, so there's less chance of warranty-covered claims. It's really a win-win situation for both Chevy and the oil company. Plus, since currently Chevrolet doesn't reccomend any particular brand from recent memory of my or anyone elses manuals, it's not like they're breaking any existing deal.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 PM

Yeah I cantell you, from being a former Corvette owner, Mobil 1's gota good thing going on with Chevy. Hell not only do the Vettes come from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic in them, the oil cap has the Mobil 1 logo stamped right on it! And most of the guys on the Vette forums that I'm part of stick with the factory Mobil 1. I really don't see why they don't do the samewith the MC& Impala.

Cheers,
Glenn