New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Looking at a 72 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Question Looking at a 72 Monte Carlo

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum as I am looking to buy a 72 Monte Carlo I found just down the street from my home. stored since 2007 the folks lost interest. trying to figure out what engine it has. it is a transplant big block the number looks like either 899280 or 399280 I have the VIN which tells me original engine was 350 two questions for my fellow forum members, how much should I pay for this car? are the parts still available to replace interior items like the broken console?
the rest of the car looks good but the center console has a broken lid on the rear compartment.

I welcome any conversation and help on this decision.

thank you

Last edited by chipscap; 03-22-2015 at 05:15 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.
Seeing as the car was stored since 07, you may want to give the frame and under neath a very good once over, depending on how it was stored there could be some serious rot out under the car, not too mention the suspension may need a bunch of new parts as it hasn't moved in years which is more harmful than good, hopefully the car was up on blocks with a tarp underneath it to prevent moisture from the ground or concrete going up and rotting the frame. You will also have to factor in new brakes all the way around as well as new tires and a full tune up on the motor.
I have mentioned all of this as it should reflect the buying price of the car, you should mention these factors to the seller during negotiations as it really does effect what you will have to invest in the car to get it road worthy again, unless you plan on doing a full restoration then it's more or less up to you. Without seeing the car it's hard to determine a price you should pay, with the latest craze in old vehicles becoming popular again the price of older cars has sky rocketed and people are asking ridiculous amounts of money for cars that have been stored in a field for 30 years just because it's a "classic" that doesn't mean they actually sell for that much, but they ask. I recently saw somebody asking for $9000 for a dodge K car, so as with anything, you can ask whatever you want, doesn't mean it's going to sell for that.
The parts for you car are still available on the internet, e bay will probably have what you are looking for eventually as it always does lol, if not there are other classic restoration sites that have every part imagineable, RockAuto Parts Catalog may have the parts your looking for as well.

Here is a link that may help you determine what motor it is

Chevy V8 Engine Block and Head Casting Number Locations

keep us updated on whatever you decide to do

Old 03-22-2015, 06:26 PM

Hi Ohara,
thanks for the great tips. I did look at the suspension which the owner tells me was rebuilt in 06 and it looks great. I am a bit worried about the long storage as well. but it is a bit cold yet to get the car out of his garage and get it up on a rack where I can take a real good look. it has been stored on old tires and he has 4 new tires sitting ready to go on. I will have to ask him how old they are! he is in no hurry at the moment and is not pushing me to buy so I will take my time and keep you posted on what happens.