New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Looking at this 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Default Looking at this 2000 SS

My wife and I are looking at this 2000 SS. I am new to the world of bowtie and i was wondering what ya'll thought of this car? if there are any problems I should look for, what mods would help? ( i do all the work my self) and what a fair price would be. What is the best highway MPG that we could expect.

It is a 2000 SS with 53,000 miles on it. Very clean car that seems to run and drive very well for its age.

http://www.eastonmotors.com/listings...onte-carlo.php

Thanks for any and the all help that I can get! This would be my wifes daily driver so i am a little worried about it.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome!

I have a 2000 SS. I would say $4500 - 5000 for the car. It's not highly optioned, doesn't even have leather seats. But the mileage is nice, unless it's 100% city driving.

My MPG is about 32 highway, but I am modified. There are TONS of aftermarket things for the L36 (Series II 3800 Engine)

I would check all the fluids in the car, the transmissions are probably the weakest point on this thing (4t65e) but the car should be solid. I just rolled 171,000 miles this weekend.

Any other questions?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Hi Buster, and Welcome to the MonteCarloFamily.
That's a super low mile Monte S.S.
Does the dealer have a CarFax report that contains
number of owners/accidents and history of this Monte ?
The 3.8L is a Bullet Proof Engine `if it has been
maintained & Serviced...
Does the seller have the service records...
Explore the MCF and you find find volumes of information
on the 6th Generation Monte Carlo.
I am sure several member's will post the pro's and con's, but
I believe there are more pro's then con's, and a
Monte Carlo will give you a lot of bang for your $'s, plus
it will give you many happy miles...

How long have you been a firemen...I sure respect
your profession.
Check back on your thread, and see what our
Member's have to say...
You did not post the asking price, and there are
several links to determine the estimated price of the
vehicle that you are interested.
Let us know what you decide...We hope you get it, `if
it's as clean as it looks....
Good Luck and we will look forward to your future posts.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Well I personally lovee the 6th gen Monte Carlo & can't see myself without it. The car looks sharp & 53K miles for a 2000 is great! My 04 has 43K miles & that's considered low mileage for a 04.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Looks pretty nice.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The pics look pretty clean (but can only tell so much in a picture).

For grins, I went to KBB.com and did a rough run through for a private party value on the car. It ranges from $5135-$6235. I would probably set a target price of $5000 out the door on this if it's as good as it looks. ALSO, check comporable car listings in your area to help determine a fair price.

But give a it a good go through. At a dealership, I'd be surprised if they kept any of the old info/service records on the car. But, check tires, fluids, general feel of the car.

Heck, I Car-Faxed mine prior to buying it. Found it was in an accident I believe first year it was owned (helped as leverage to drop a little of the price). But I of course drove the car and inspected it completely and felt any left overs from that accident were minor (and the price I got it for was well justified given what else I had looked at prior).

Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Car fax is a good idea. Since it is at a dealership I will make them do it. I think they are asking around $10 ish for it.

32 mpg would be awesome. I was a little bummed when i read that it gets 27 -29 highway. My wife puts on a lot a miles so we need something that gets good mpg and won't leave her stranded. And of course looks cool and she is a bowtie girl.

I have had a BUNCH of mustangs, my last one was an 05 gt that super fast with only $1000 in mods and i could get 28 mpg all day long on the interstate.

I am kinda of exicted about so i guess we'll see how much they want to work.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Oh yeah, How good is the traction control on these. every other vehicle i had i allways turned it off?

I did a look and smell test on the all the fluids and so far so good.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM

I thought you were buying from this place but it was wrong. Still funny though if you fallow hockey:

http://youtu.be/Wpw-dJinzK0

Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Buster Hilltop
Car fax is a good idea. Since it is at a dealership I will make them do it. I think they are asking around $10 ish for it.

32 mpg would be awesome. I was a little bummed when i read that it gets 27 -29 highway. My wife puts on a lot a miles so we need something that gets good mpg and won't leave her stranded. And of course looks cool and she is a bowtie girl.

I have had a BUNCH of mustangs, my last one was an 05 gt that super fast with only $1000 in mods and i could get 28 mpg all day long on the interstate.

I am kinda of exicted about so i guess we'll see how much they want to work.

Welcome to the forum.

Something to keep in mind is the Monte Carlo is considered "Luxury Sport". It's not going to compare with a Mustang GT for performance. After all, it's a FWD V6. But it does have lots of power to get it going fairly well. And it's very comfortable. Take it out for a test drive and you'll see what I mean.

Like the others have mentioned, the 3800 Series II V6 engine has been proven to be one of the most (if not, THE most) reliable engine GM has put out in the last 20 or so years. The 53,000 miles on that engine is not much. With proper maintenance, you should be able to get 200,000 miles out of it without major problems.

During your test drive pay attention to the steering. If you hear a clunk when you turn the wheels, the ISS needs to be lubricated. The ISS is the "Intermediate Steering Shaft". Most full size GM cars have them now. Occasionally it needs to be lubricated. Not a major deal. About a 15 minute job at your local dealership.

From the picture, this seems to be a good car. But do the usual thorough checks on the car before buying. If the car was properly maintained, you should have a reliable car for many years.

Quick Reply: Looking at this 2000 SS