New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

It's Actually My Mother-In-Law's :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 AM
Default It's Actually My Mother-In-Law's :(

My Father-In-Law recently passed and left me his wife, her house with detached 1.5 car garage, the pool, and a black on black 2004 Monte SS (with ~13,000mis) in the driveway, to deal with. I'm pretty lucky on all fronts, really. Until he got sick, he did a good job with the property and my Mom-In-Law is a strong, independent, woman who cares a great deal about me and my family.
I've mowed the grass and kept the pool clean but, have just watched the car sit until a couple days ago. My boy has asked her about it and she agreed to hand it over when he turns 16. I'm not too scared to put him in it, he's a good boy but, it has sat for a while. She drives it every couple weeks and if she doesn't, starts it and lets it idle for 10'ish minutes. I think the oil has been changed twice and the transmission was reworked since he bought it. She let me pop the hood, clean up the engine bay and while I was under there, I talked her into taking it up to a local car show that happens once a month. My main motivation (besides having a reason to hang out with my son) is to see what the car's about. I want to make sure this thing is solid enough to put him in.
I'm in Industrial Maintenance, I deal with machines big and small at work and at home, I love puzzles in all shapes and sizes! I'm more of a motorcycle guy though, I've worked with Laverda's, Ducati's, Moto Guzzi's, BMW's, Vincent's, lots of old Jap's and one Brough Superior...I have four bikes myself. I'm no stranger to turning a wrench and I'm not scared to rip anything apart. But, I'm not scared to ask for help either, that's why I'm here!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry for your loss, your in-laws sound like great people. Not sure if I would want to inherit my mother-in-law...lol, but that Monte is a family heirloom to be passed on from generation to generation. Is it an "Intimidator"? Has it been garaged? Maintenance should be minimal other than fluid changes...steering, brake, oil, and transmisssion. Tires might have a bit of dry rot. Probably want to replace other rubber parts like belts and hoses also.
Please share pictures.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 PM

Thank you, he was a good man.
The car has sat outside but, stays clean. It's black leather interior has been protected with a dark window tint and the paint's in decent shape, with the exception of a weird swipe across the drivers side. It looks like there's been a wreck repair. I looked up the car fax and nothing. Maybe a crap factory patch job? The brake discs were rusted and yeah, the tires had rotted. They've both been replaced with quality parts and pieces. For 13yrs old, the car's in good shape. No special edition, just black on black and supercharged.
I figured on changing all the fluids (I'd forgot about the steering, thank you), hoses, and whatnot. Anything special with the Supercharger? I haven't got a chance to read up on the car (I promise, I will) but, when I popped the hood, I noticed a couple plugs on the side of it. There's bearings spinning and heat, I'm guessing there's lube.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member

Yes the supercharger oil needs to be changed every 30,000 miles.

Here's a how to video:

Old 09-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Under hood

A rainy day in Hooterville

Old 09-01-2017, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member

Simply a thing of beauty

Old 09-02-2017, 08:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Sorry about your loss.
Welcome to the forum and that is a very sharp Monte!