New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

I want to improve Performance AND MPG. Where to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by KingOf206
Could you recommend a site to go and find one of these?
You can just use the CAI, cold air inductions version. Its the best one because its insultated. Now thats its cold, it really doesnt matter, but in the summer, thats when it does.

3500 has minimal mods, you can CAI, and maybe tune the PCM, but tuning it would only benefit by doing better shift points, and it may help mpg, but only a minimal amount. And I dont think they make headers for the 3500 engine, only 5.3, due to the valves being different .

For the 3500, you can pretty much do a CAI, a better flowing exhaust system, maybe changing out the spark plugs to better performance ones, and about it. A tune would be minimal effect on this engine.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 PM
1 Year Member

Also, I had some other recommendations from someone about getting new parts for my car and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on if its worth it.

I was told (In Priority order) that I should upgrade and get a new:

1. Exhaust (Madrel Bent Catback)
2. Muffler
3. Struts

Will getting new/upgraded versions of these things help/increase performance on my 07 Monte ?

What are your thoughts on replacing these things?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
You can just use the CAI, cold air inductions version. Its the best one because its insultated. Now thats its cold, it really doesnt matter, but in the summer, thats when it does.

3500 has minimal mods, you can CAI, and maybe tune the PCM, but tuning it would only benefit by doing better shift points, and it may help mpg, but only a minimal amount. And I dont think they make headers for the 3500 engine, only 5.3, due to the valves being different .

For the 3500, you can pretty much do a CAI, a better flowing exhaust system, maybe changing out the spark plugs to better performance ones, and about it. A tune would be minimal effect on this engine.

What would be the BEST performance spark plugs I could get? website?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM

Also, I had some other recommendations from someone about getting new parts for my car and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on if its worth it.

I was told (In Priority order) that I should upgrade and get a new:

1. Exhaust (Madrel Bent Catback)
2. Muffler
3. Struts

Will getting new/upgraded versions of these things help/increase performance on my 07 Monte ?

What are your thoughts on replacing these things?
Exhaust will provide somewhat of an increase, minimal, but itll also let it sound pretty cool, or well better. Mufflers dont really provide an increase, but a better sound, and struts? They dont provide any increase, they are what controls your wheels and basically how high or low or rough or smooth of a ride you get. They will provide no increase. The only increases for HP, are the ones I provided, this is the main reason for me getting an SS, more hp and more mods

Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM
1 Year Member

Exhaust will provide somewhat of an increase, minimal, but itll also let it sound pretty cool, or well better. Mufflers dont really provide an increase, but a better sound, and struts? They dont provide any increase, they are what controls your wheels and basically how high or low or rough or smooth of a ride you get. They will provide no increase. The only increases for HP, are the ones I provided, this is the main reason for me getting an SS, more hp and more mods
OK I understand. Sounds like in the later future I may want to invest IN a new exhaust system. But the Struts are what I would be looking into. I DO want to get a Smoother/better overall ride when Im cruising. If I am looking to get a smoother ride would struts be the only thing I should look into when wanting to get a smoother ride?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 PM

OK I understand. Sounds like in the later future I may want to invest IN a new exhaust system. But the Struts are what I would be looking into. I DO want to get a Smoother/better overall ride when Im cruising. If I am looking to get a smoother ride would struts be the only thing I should look into when wanting to get a smoother ride?

Hard to say without looking under your car myself, imo take your car to a shop and have them look at your suspension, to check you alignment, tire balance, struts, tirerod bones ( ends & outs ), and thats pretty much it. What are you looking to do for your car? Cruiser? Racer? Over all ? How old are you? It really depends ! Its your car you can do so much.

When I had my 06 LS, I had 20 inch rims, not to big not too small, it road smooth as hell and I loved it. I didnt have any engine mods because it really wasn't worth the investment with the engine, but I loved it. I was planning on dual exhaust, and a CAI intake, then lowering it. Imo, I would have went 22s with new struts on that one though....Thats just my preference.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:04 PM
1 Year Member

Hard to say without looking under your car myself, imo take your car to a shop and have them look at your suspension, to check you alignment, tire balance, struts, tirerod bones ( ends & outs ), and thats pretty much it. What are you looking to do for your car? Cruiser? Racer? Over all ? How old are you? It really depends ! Its your car you can do so much.

When I had my 06 LS, I had 20 inch rims, not to big not too small, it road smooth as hell and I loved it. I didnt have any engine mods because it really wasn't worth the investment with the engine, but I loved it. I was planning on dual exhaust, and a CAI intake, then lowering it. Imo, I would have went 22s with new struts on that one though....Thats just my preference.
I am 27 yo. I am really looking to have a little bit of both racer and Cruiser. So Overall would be my answer to that. The plan next year is to get 21 or 22 inch rims so I really want a smooth ride for that! I am looking forward to making a lot of mods to my Monte!

Your help is really fast forwarding me!!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

I am 27 yo. I am really looking to have a little bit of both racer and Cruiser. So Overall would be my answer to that. The plan next year is to get 21 or 22 inch rims so I really want a smooth ride for that! I am looking forward to making a lot of mods to my Monte!

Hiroska is right, get your rims, keep yourstocks cause they are exchangeable and you can put them back on if you sell the cat. Get a CAI intake and keep the stock (cause you can put it back in if you sell it and the cai will fit in an ss) than beyond that save what you would spend on mods and get an SS. Doesnt have to be 7th gen but the SS' will all have a lot more mods available. I would like a 7th gen but I'm absolutly in love with the way red looks and you can't replace that.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Your rim size should be 18 or 20 then, 20 provides a smooth ride and your still able to hit corners like a sports car would, however, 22s do look much better, but are more a cruiser rather than a racer. Before you put on your rims, make sure your struts are decently good, you will need a NEW wheel alighnment when you get new rims.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 PM
1 Year Member

Your rim size should be 18 or 20 then, 20 provides a smooth ride and your still able to hit corners like a sports car would, however, 22s do look much better, but are more a cruiser rather than a racer. Before you put on your rims, make sure your struts are decently good, you will need a NEW wheel alighnment when you get new rims.
I would really like to get the best kind of Struts, I am leaning toward getting 22's but I might decide 20's. Either way could you recommend GREAT quality Strut's? Website?

Quick Reply: I want to improve Performance AND MPG. Where to Start?