New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi All - Another New Member

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum man.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As you probably know, a rental car has typically been abused and would have more problems than most cars. A lot of people avoid buying a former rental car. But that means you can usually get it at a good price.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 PM

I purchased an AutoCheck trial last night and ran the other car through it. It is listed as a one owner, but also is listed as a fleet/lease vehicle. Would it be hard to believe that an SS model could be a rental or a corporate fleet car? What would be the odds that it is just a dealer lease vehicle? Both show to be bought at an auto auction, which scares me. It's not the same as if it's a local vehicle and has been serviced for its life at the dealer that's selling it. One thing I don't care for with AutoCheck is the fact they don't list any service records like Carfax does. I may just have to run them both through Carfax as well, or get some more history and records from both of the dealers. This may make the GM Certified car a better value, that is if they went through the inspection properly and just didn't start checking items. From the way it sounded, the inspection did seem pretty thorough. Replaced the bowtie emblem on the back due to peeling (though why should that be peeling already?), replaced a bunch of bumpers on the front facia, and one other thing I remember them saying was flushing out the coolant overflow tank due to it being dirty inside. I wonder if they would give out a copy of the inspection if I requested it.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a couple links with some info on buying a fleet vehicle. It's not always a bad thing. But from what you posted about that one, it sounds like that car had a hard life.

Rental agencies at one time only had base models, with little to no optional equipment. But that's not the case anymore. Especially in larger cities. Tourists, travelling business people, etc, are demanding better cars with more. In many areas, you can rent almost anything. Sports cars, luxury cars, SUV's, etc.

Check the articles below.

Should I Buy A Rental Car? (from MSN)

Buying Fleet (Road & Travel Magazine)

Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in the hunt for a Monte Carlo.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

My 05 was an auction car. Most dealers that take higher mileage cars in trade in (in my case) send them straight to the auctions. A Carfax is a real good idea. I got a Carfax on mine and I knew it was a good one owner highway car.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Well I got one on Friday, got the '07. Haven't taken any pics yet as I haven't had a day off since. It's sitting in the heated shop hopefully thawed out from the 160 mile blizzard I drove it home in. Man, that trip was an awful memory to make. Crazy how it likes to drift when driven over a snow-coated area on the highway. And funny how the traction control has to be selected either automatic or off. Once spring rolls around i'm really looking forward to driving the car. If i'd have known that the car wouldn't sell, I would have waited another month or two to buy. But i'm really looking forward to it.

There's a few things that i'm still learning about. I'm trying to figure out how the climate control works when the car is remote started, how the theft control works, and if the car is equipped heated mirrors or not. I've had a tire pressure light come on a few times, so I have to figure out what the tires are supposed to be aired to, and see if it helps to air them up to spec. Also I had thought the VIN spec'd the car to be equipped with the Premium Sound option, but I don't see all the speakers. Also on rough roads their was an intermittent rattle noise back towards the rear window. Real hard to diagnose it when you're way up in the driver seat, pretty spacious interior in the car. So i've got a few things to learn yet.

Last edited by Veracious1; 01-09-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added Rattle Noise
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Jon

Setting the PACE of the new generation.

Welcome and goodluck on your next car.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find LOTS of useful stuff here. I just got a 2007 LT 3.5L and the only problem I've had with it is the Tire Pressure Monitor System. The light to check it kept coming on even though tire pressure was fine. The mechanic who fixed it said these monitors are very flimsy and break easily, and each tire has one so there's a chance you have to replace four of them. Luckily my warranty covered this. Three of the monitors have been replaced - so far the 4th is okay. Climate control: when you remote start, the fan comes on high and circulates the air as the engine warms. When you unlock the car and get in, turn the key to "on" and the heater will briefly shut down. Adjust the heat and fan settings the way you want. I discovered that any settings you have when you turn the car off the night before are disabled when you remote start. It always goes to the same setting. Heated mirrors: mine didn't come with them but that sounds like a good idea for Minnesota! Good luck with your's - what trim is it? I really wanted an SS but there were none available when my old Saturn broke down for the last time.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Congrats on your purchase!

Quick Reply: Hi All - Another New Member