New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Help me with MPG!!!

Old 03-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Default Help me with MPG!!!

Just got an 07 Monte SS. I knew it wouldn't get as good of gas mileage as my 08 Impala LT but it was a bit of a shocker to go from filling up every two weeks to once a week. Average MPG is reading 15.1, mostly city driving. Was wondering if anyone could tell me anything easy to do to improve fuel economy, like driving in a different gear or something? I don't hotrod around town but I don't drive like a granny either.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:45 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!!

Old 03-02-2015, 01:20 AM

Welcome to the site. Mid teens isn't terrible for almost exclusively city driving. I think my L67 V6s averaged in the 19-20 range in town as long as I stayed off the throttle. Best I've seen out of an LS4 is 25 on the highway. You're not going to get out of the teens with a V8 if you're only driving in town.

The biggest thing you can do to help fuel mileage is your driving style. That's usually the last answer anyone wants to hear, but it's the truth. My 09 Titan averages 15-16 during my day to day driving. Out of my 23 mile drive to work though, about 19 of those miles are interstate. Not bad for a 5300 lb truck, but I try not to accelerate hard and I have cruise control on as much as I safely can.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChevygalSS
Just got an 07 Monte SS. I knew it wouldn't get as good of gas mileage as my 08 Impala LT but it was a bit of a shocker to go from filling up every two weeks to once a week. Average MPG is reading 15.1, mostly city driving. Was wondering if anyone could tell me anything easy to do to improve fuel economy, like driving in a different gear or something? I don't hotrod around town but I don't drive like a granny either.

I love the Chevy Impala it gets great gas mileage, just as a test sometime see what it does on the Highway if your driving 75mph and the tach is below 2K you have a car that will get good gas mileage. The Impala probably did that.
Should know that anytime you get an SS or any performance car the mileage is not the best. I had several Impala's and a friend of mine decide to get one because of that, she got an 09 SS Red, she was surprised it didn't get very good mileage, but she wanted the Red Car!
Air filters should be kept clean, I use a Lucas Oil fuel additive in my SUV's and they will pick up 1 or 2 miles just doing that on the Highway. In the past I have seen a little improvement with oil additives like Dura-lube but they were high mileage cars.
Good luck

Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Hi ChevyGalSS,
How many miles on your S.S. ? How has it been maintained ? What type of gas are you using ? Have your spark plugs ever been changed ? Is there any modifications to your engine ? Please post 'OK to help our tech member's help you or post their thoughts.

Print out the below & maybe it will help

Old 03-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you just got the car I would start with a tune up plugs, air filter, spark plug wires if need, clean MAF sensor. Proper tire inflation is critical to mpg also. Gradual acceleration when taking off will also help (no jack rabbit starts). Minimal stops at lights also helps. If you see a red light ahead slow down so by the time you get to it you can cruise through a green light. Coast whenever possible and use your brakes as little as possible.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Sounds about right for the v8 honestly.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! It has just over 50,000 miles. Not sure about how it's been maintained since I just purchased it, it is previously salvaged due to front end damage and airbag deployment. I fill up with super unleaded, haven't changed spark plugs or anything like that. Thanks for the printable gas card! Haha. Sounds like I just need to do regular maintenance and drive more economically :/ Has anyone noticed a difference in mpg with traction control turned off?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Traction control on or off wont affect fuel economy. If you're primarily doing city driving its going to be difficult to get much better with a v8.