New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello from Peoria, AZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Default Hello from Peoria, AZ

Hello All,

My name is RJ and I live in Peoria, AZ. I was born in Pennsylvania, but grew up in Tucson, AZ. I have been a certified car nut ever since I can remember. When I was seven years old, the 70 Chevelle Super Sport came out with the hood and deck stripes. I loved the lines and stripes and thought it was the toughest car I had ever seen. Even though I was a long way from driving age, I set my sights on a 70 Chevelle SS as my first car.

That all changed when I was 15 years old and stumbled across a first gen Monte Carlo in a parking lot one day. My mother owned a 1974 Monte Carlo, and I really liked the lines and fender bulges. At first I didn't know what kind of car it was, but once I saw the Monte Carlo script on the sail panel and rear valance it started to make sense to me. I knew it was older than my mom's car, and I could see the evolution between the two generations. I immediately started doing some research and discovered the car was a 1970 model, and the first year for the Monte Carlo. To my surprise, you could also get a SS454 for 70 and 71. From that point on I wanted an SS454 Monte Carlo as my first car.

When I was sixteen I did find a 70 SS in the local classifieds, but it was a little rough and the price was more than I could afford at $2200. I later came across a 70 350 car in much better condition and the price was right at $1000. It was Black Cherry with a black vinyl top and black bucket seat interior. It had the 300 HP 350 with PS, PB and AC. I had my first car. (As a side note, I discovered the SS car a couple of years later sitting on blocks in an empty lot. The car was in rougher shape than before and looked abandoned. I tracked down the owner and was able to purchase the car to add to my growing Monte Carlo fleet.)

Over the years I would buy and sell several first gen Montes, including two SS cars and two 402 cars, as well as several SS Chevelles and a 67 GTO, but I have held onto my first car and the worn out SS. The SS is finally going up for sale to make room for new projects. I promised that I would never restore the car unless it was a full frame off to do the car justice. In my youth I had the time, but not the money. Now that I am in my fifties, I have the money but not the time. I will post it in the For Sale section soon.

My first car somehow survived my teenage years and several different engines, transmissions and rear ends in my quest for more HP and lower ET's at the drag strip. Up until 1987 it was still my daily driver, but was parked when I purchased a new 5.0 Mustang. At the time it had a 450 HP 454, M-21 Muncie 4-speed and 4.10 12 bolt posi. I just recently started working on it to get it back on the road. Once running I will do a frame on restoration with new paint, interior, suspension, brakes and fuel system.

In 1989 I sold the Mustang and purchased my first turbo Buick and have been hooked on them ever since. I have bought and sold many of them over the years and currently own four of them, but that is for another story.

RJ

Last edited by 70SS454; 08-21-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!!
Sharp Monte in your avatar!!
What times were you getting with her at the track? (Race it, break it, fix it, repeat..huh?) Know all about that!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 02:12 PM

P343,

That is actually a Buick Regal T-Type. The funny thing is most people come up to me and say "Nice Monte Carlo" because they thinks it's a Monte SS. It's a running joke in the turbo Buick community. I'm sure they look very similar to the average person.

In the avatar photo the car was running 10.95 at 122 MPH with a stock engine with 99K original miles. Mods include a bigger turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel system, built tranny, suspension and slicks. The car actually has the distinction of being the only turbo Buick to get into the 10's with a stock engine and a 60 mm turbo. There have been several into the 10's with a stock engine, but all had bigger turbos. The car now has a forged bottom end and ported aluminum heads and matching cam, but I am waiting for the weather to cool off in AZ before I take it to the track. I am confident it will run at least 10.50's. I run E85 so I can drive it on the street with drag radials.

RJ

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It really looked like a 79 Monte and wow, I am not your average person..lol (note to self..get eyes checked)!!!
We have a few turbo Regals out at our track. They do very well. The GN's do well too.
Wow that is impressive for stock!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by P343
It really looked like a 79 Monte and wow, I am not your average person..lol (note to self..get eyes checked)!!!
We have a few turbo Regals out at our track. They do very well. The GN's do well too.
Wow that is impressive for stock!!!
The photo is small, so it would be easy to mistake the two. Sometimes I have to do a double take if I get a glimpse of a G-Body going by to see what it was.

Turbo Buicks are easy to make fast if you know how to tune them and can deal with their idiosyncrasies. It takes almost nothing but good tires and race fuel to run high 12s.

RJ