New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello it's me

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 06:47 AM
1 Year Member
Default Hello it's me

Nice to see there is a forum for Monte Carlos. It's funny, I never was a fan of them, and now I own one and really love it. So onto me. I am a native Nashvillian. 69 years old. Don't do nearly as much as I used to, but can still turn a few wrenches. I change my own oil and tranny fluid, and do the things I can get to on a car without disassembling. it. Played golf all my life, and also 10 years of Rugby. Started going to the Drag Races when I was 15 and was addicted ever since. Raced a 1957 Chevy with a 283 .60 over and a turbo 400. Ran 12.70's in the 1/4. Not bad for a little motor. Then I moved up to a 23T with Big Blocks on alcohol with Enderle injection. We ran many divisional and national events. I own a home near Nashville, and was tired of sitting on my butt, so bought a 2005 Supercharged SS in electric blue. Needs a lot of work, but that's half the fun right? Have already posted on the main forum a few times and gotten some great advice. Look forward to meeting more of you.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to MCF! I love the color of your car...

I don't see any water beading on it, though...

DualPolymer waterless acrylic polish

DualPolymer by Ken Hendrix

Old 10-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum.
I had a Pontiac Torrent the same color. Just sold that and we have a new Blazer now that we just purchased.
I spent some time in Nashville a few years back and then on up to Cookeville for a while, you all had a ice storm there and I was part of the disaster response team back then.
About the same age as well. Check out the Photo contests I do and maybe you will have something to share.
The folks from Tennessee are the friendliest people on the planet.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:19 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum.
I had a Pontiac Torrent the same color. Just sold that and we have a new Blazer now that we just purchased.
I spent some time in Nashville a few years back and then on up to Cookeville for a while, you all had a ice storm there and I was part of the disaster response team back then.
About the same age as well. Check out the Photo contests I do and maybe you will have something to share.
The folks from Tennessee are the friendliest people on the planet.
Thanks much. We love our fast cars here. I am too old to race now so just looking to restore this 2005. Having fun sourcing parts. Found a set of stock SS rims with Firestones on them for $150 up in Kentucky. This car color is really strange. It looks blue in pics but kind of purple in person.

Off of 2008 Impala SS

Old 10-23-2020, 03:22 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by chifan
Welcome to MCF! I love the color of your car...

I don't see any water beading on it, though...

DualPolymer waterless acrylic polish

DualPolymer by Ken Hendrix
I just got this two weeks ago. Paint is the last thing I will do. I have lots of other things to do first Like doing an autopsy. The tranny is good, not sure about the motor yet. Needs a cat and stuff. Suspension redo. Maybe a radiator. One thing at a time. Just hope to have it ready for shows next year. I have a paint shop nearby and the guy owns about 20 hot rods. I am sure he will do a nice job. It's a 20 footer. The closer you get the worse it looks. Fender corners are rusted. I think it may have been hit in the front. The hood is ruined from bird droppings. Saving cosmetics for last.

Last edited by GrayGhost1951; 10-23-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member

That is exactly what this one was like, It was blue then a Purple shade in the sun as you walked around it.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
Thanks much. We love our fast cars here. I am too old to race now so just looking to restore this 2005. Having fun sourcing parts. Found a set of stock SS rims with Firestones on them for $150 up in Kentucky. This car color is really strange. It looks blue in pics but kind of purple in person.

Off of 2008 Impala SS
Those look like brand new!! great find.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:32 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
That is exactly what this one was like, It was blue then a Purple shade in the sun as you walked around it.

Yep, exactly what I have. I have the factory sticker, I should have looked up the paint description. How do you find out how many of a certain car was made?

Old 01-15-2021, 07:38 AM
1 Year Member
Default Update

Update: So ordered a new Cat and downpipe off Ebay for around $120. Fit just fine. Was going to replace entire exhaust but got to looking and decided it really wasn't in that bad of condition. Went to an exhaust shop and eliminated the resonator. I love it. The sound is good but you can hardly notice it is not there unless you go WOT. That saved a lot of money. So now to the shop. I am too old to turn wrenches and knew this would be a major project. Massive oil leaks from the valve covers and pan. Had that fixed and new intake gaskets (really bad fault on 3.8's). 180 thermostat, rebuilt Cordone rack and power steering pump and reservoir. Total bill was a bit over $2500. Since I trade with this shop for my other cars he gave me all parts at his cost. Windshield had some small cracks and the cold weather finished it. Giant crack all the way across. Safelite was the best, and got a new factory looking windshield for $191. Did some more cleaning and found the car even has heated seats. Button light comes on but no heat. Just another project. Got the new dash in last time and everything works now. Car runs very smooth but need a downstream CO2 heated sensor. Ordered a Delco from Advanced Auto. Next trip is to the body shop to align the front fenders and clean up some fit problems. Not ready to have it painted just yet. I still plan to upgrade the FE4 suspension with new struts, etc. Probably go with Powerstop brakes and slotted rotors. It's getting there and I do love this car, more than I ever thought I would. When I bought the car the steering wheel had a cover over it, and I assume that the wheel was ripped and torn. I finally was brave enough to look and to my surprise the wheel is in great condition. The only thing that is wrong is the surface of the controls is worn off. I now realize this is a plastic covering, and the buttons themselves are in perfect condition. In fact, the only button on the car that is rubbed off is the volume for the radio. Noticed the A/C vents are not perfect, and some jerk put that stick on crap all over the dash and sides of the car. Not sure how I am going to remove that tacky plastic junk - heat gun or something to dissolve the glue. If any of you have done this and know what works best please let me know. Pics coming soon. Also found a nice set of new headlights for $60 up in Kentucky, and ordered new tailights for just over $100 (I have the blacked out ones and hate them).

Heading to the spray wash

Clean motor

New ISS Dash

Last edited by GrayGhost1951; 01-15-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 01-15-2021, 02:42 PM
1 Year Member

Some fresh pics.

New ISS Dash

Engine bay cleaned

New pic - 1/15/21

Quick Reply: Hello it's me