New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Finally!!! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Default Finally!!! Now what?

Well after wanting a monte carlo since i was 8 now 10 years later i finally get one, and a nice one at that! Its a 2004 Dale Jr. edition with the supercharger. I am joing this forum because i want to do a few things to it already and i dont get it till tomorrow. I know this car goes pretty good but i was thinking about a cold air intake or mabe a chip but im making payments and insurance isnt cheap for a superchaged 18 year old male. These are likely my 2 best options and i just wanted a few opinions on doing one or the other and recommendations on brands to buy or stay away from so thanks alot.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Finally!!! Now what?

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your Dale Jr edition. As you can see from my sig, I have one also. It's a really nice car, and really turns heads.
The 2004 and 2005 supercharged Monte Carlo SS (including your Dale Jr edition) comes with 240 HP at the crank. Now to get that power and more to the wheels.

Your options are only limited by your wallet. Common first mods on 2000-2005 Montes are a CAI (cold air intake), complete exhaust system from the downpipe back, PCM tune (replaces chip change), pulley change, plus others I'm forgetting right now.

There are lots of performance upgrades for your Supercharged 3800, also known as the L67 engine on some performance sites. It's helpful to know that the L67 is also used in the Pontiac Grand Prix. You should be able to get engine upgrades for your Monte by looking under Grand Prix on some websites. But of course, exhaust you'll have to go with Monte Carlo.

Some popular sites that I can think of off the top of my head are:

PartsForYourCar.com

ZZPerformance

3800Performance

Milzy Motorsports

(Click on the nameof the site for link.)

Not trying to sound like your dad or anything, but always work within your budget. And don't be afraid to save up your money for what you REALLYwant. It's always better in the long run to do it right the first time.

Changing gears a little, did you get the certificate of authenticity with it? Do you know what number out of 2883 that you have? If you didn't get the cert of auth, don't worry about it.
Don't forget to take some pics and please post them here for us when you get a chance.

Once again, welcome to the site!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site! Congrats on the Dale Jr edition!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Welcome and congrats on the great ride. I was once paying 200 a month for a 1994 Firebird Formula and 300 a month for insurance. Being old does have some advantages. Enjoy your great car and be safe.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 PM

what kind of cai would you suggest i know k&n is big but are there any better and it does have the certificate and everything i think it is 1688 and i dont think the exhaust will happen but tell me more about the pcm tune or what ever it is

Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm glad you got the cert of authenticity. So many Monte owners have been trying to get their C of A only to be stone walled by Chevy.

As for the cai, of course K&N is the most popular. But a few people here have gone with the Thrasher CAI. A little cheaper in price, and they say it performs just as good.
There's no chip to replace, so a PCM tuner is needed to reprogram the computer to your new settings. I've never done it personally, my Monte is still stock except for the K&N replacement filter.

Something I didn't mention was the U-bend in the exhaust. If/when you're ready to do the exhaust, you'll want to eliminate the U-bend between the downtube and the catalytic converter. It's put there to make room for the sensor, but eats up a few horses. If you're getting an exhaust system done sometime in the future, get the U-bend delete done at the same time. But I wouldn't do the U-bend delete by itself.