New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Cold air intake power...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Default Cold air intake power...

I just bought my 01 SS MC and i was wondering just how much HP can i get out of this V6 cause im use to dealing with V8's. i no whene i put one on a 95 stang GT and thay say it gives 8 to 12 HP. so what can i expect out of a cold air intake for my 01 SS MC with the 3.8L V6 let me know please thanks...

Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's just a supporting modification, so you will get better throttle response, but your car will just be sensing more air coming in. Your engine wont' know what to do with it. So really it's not much of a HP gain.

It's a good supporting modification for other mods though. They all work together to get HP. You realistically will only see a 1 or 2 HP gain. However if you start coupling it with more modifications that increase the amount of air the engine can use, and how much exhaust can flow out, you make it more efficient and a tune that makes it all work = more HP.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM

Oh, ok well i guess insted of spending money on a cam i can use 1.9 rockers to bring up my lift i guess that will help some. see im trying to do some very cheep to almost free upgrades i know theres no such thing is free upgrades but you know what i mean. anyway i will spend money on it and probably a lot just not at this time because i just dont have it write now. i just priced some headers for this thing and my god they were like $750 bucks WOW! but if i want to play i got to pay. i think i'll try ebay cause i cant see it im looking for about 300 to maybe 325 horses and that will be fine for me i guess a chip would also be a good investment. well we'll holler at cha later...

Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 PM

15 Year Member

I wouldn't worry about headers if you aren't going boost.

A good ZZP downpipe, maybe a front powerlog is all you need to remove the restrictions of our exhaust.

1.9 rockers are a good mod, but modified ER Ratio Rockers are the proven best for staying Naturally Aspirated.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Ok dude if this was a stang GT i would no what you were talking about. i dont want to sound like an idiot but like i said this is my first 01 SS MC so please bare with me. ok now the ZZP down pipe sounds like what a turn down pipe or a bigger pipe im not shure. and im definatly not shure about what a front powerlog is and what kind of rockers are ER ratio. could you please write back and explain to me thanks...

Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 AM

15 Year Member

Sure, If you go to ZZP's website you will see a TON of parts for the car. A few things work great together if you want go keep it Naturally Aspirated.

The ZZP Downpipe is the downpipe that connects your rear exhaust manifold to your catalytic converter to the flange that connects to your downpipe. This pipe is a huge restriction because it's double-walled and not wide enough. Also around the rear oxygen sensor there is a huge bend (called the u-bend) and it is a large restriction also. The ZZP downpipe opens up the pipe, and removes the u-bend.

The front powerlog is a replacement for your front exhaust manifold. the stock one isn't tubular, it is more like crescent shaped on the side against the motor. Obviously exhaust doesn't flow well through that. The rear manifold and crossover pipe are completely fine. The ZZP Powerlog are 3 tubular pipes that go into a larger collector and connect up to your crossover to remove the restrictions from stock.

ER Ratio Rockers stands for Extended Range. ZZP did a ton of research and found that you need a different rocker height for the exhaust side rockers than the intake side rockers for maximum benefits. They never released what the difference was, they marker their rockers as ER Ratio and that's it. Granted a set of 1.9s will be good too, if you can find the ER Ratio rockers it is the best.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 AM

Well i found the ZZP web site thay got alot of cool $#it but you better come with some cash. it is a little pricey but i know im going to have to pay to play and i found those parts you were talking about except for the ER ratio rockers. but i found the 1.9's thay said thay help give like 10 to 15 HP or somthing like that. but with exhaust mods i also seen some exhaust manafolds that were stock but have been ported to give like 10 to 15 more HP so that was cool. you know all these 10 to 15 HP gains add up i wonder what that HP gain that downpipe gives. anyway i will order parts out of ZZP in do time thanks for the info man i'll holler at ya later dude.

Last edited by strypergt; 07-23-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 AM

I would still like to find this powerlog whene i lookd on ZZP i didnt see any thing that says powerlog. let me guess it dosent say powerlog write i dont now but that one powerlog manifold for the front has got to be cheeper than buying 2 exhaust manifolds for the engine write. ok well i just thaught i'd let ya know that i forgot to say that on my last post. tater...

Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pretty much, the 3800 is like any other engine.... The question is, how can you move more air in and then out of the car.
Chibi gave me a LOT of advise when I started tinkering with my Monte, hence why my mods are similar to his current mods (I have made some alterations of my own).
Here's a link to my web site when I did my ZZP DownPipe swap:
http://crzyz28.sytes.net/mycars/2004..._downpipe.html
Before I sent my downpipe back in for a core return, I took the sawzall and cut it open. The claims of being double walled not as wide on the inside diameter are 100% correct.
Here's the link to my main Monte Carlo page, listing all the mods I have done to the car:
http://crzyz28.sytes.net/04monte.html
And here's a link for the ZZP PowerLog:
ZZ Performance

I've been happy with everything so far.

OH, and something that might help you, it's common for different reasons that people will demod their 3800 (either they selling it and feel selling the mods separate may give them extra $$ or they are junking the car). Either way, once you know what you want, it's good to check the classifieds on forums for different 3800 powered cars. A real hot spot seems to be Club Grand Prix! Your online Grand Prix & G8 resource (a Grand Prix forum).

Whatever you're looking to do, we can all share out experiences to help you.

Last edited by The_Maniac; 07-24-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Ok well thanks dude, yea i went to your site and i seen where you were talking about how people kind of wonder why yall like those V6's. well i use to own a 95 stang GT 5.0 H0 and man that thing was fun to drive. but anyway what i mean is i wonderd that myself but man these things do have a little kick to them well when i get done it will. the mustang was a little pricey but these seem to be a little more priceyer but there also a newer car than the 95 was to this is a 2001 model car ofcourse it is LOL. and the 95 mustang GT 5.0 HO only came with 215 HP from the factory this 01 MC 3.8L V6 came with 200 HP man the stang only came with 15 HP more and this is a 6 cylender so that tells me that whene i get done im going to have one bad a$$ V6. and yes whene im done i will try a 5.0 just to see how it dose and thanks for the info dude.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake power...