New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Another newbie from NY here

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Default Another newbie from NY here

I found your site while I was doing a search on cold air intakes Chevy's 3.9L engine. You've got an interesting thread about that here. I'm hoping someone will start selling a CAI for my car soon!
I've been driving nothing but Japanese cars up until now, and decided to try something different this time, so I bought an '06 Monte 3LT with the 3.9L V6. Haven't done much yet other than putting on a pair of 3" tips and replacing the dealer's license plate frame, lol. Possible mods include window tinting, installing a CAI (like I said above, when someone sells one for this engine), and a cat-back system (thinking about Magnaflow).
Haven't taken many pics of the Monte yet; maybe when Spring comes around and I get it cleaned up.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Default RE: Another newbie from NY here

Welcome to our Community!

It's great to see another 7th gen owner. Especially with the exact same car! 06 3LT with the 3.9 Litre. Ignore my sig, it says LTZ, which also has the 3.9L, but Mines actually the same 3LT as yours.

What color is your? Better yet, get some pics up if/when you can!

Oh, and there's a Intake system on Ebay, unfortunately it's not a true CAI. I haven't seen one made for any of the Montes like the plug n play systems the ricers can get. Use the parts search option and you should pull one up no problem.

Keep in mind, they have CAI's for the 6th Gens, but you have to drill through the fenderwell if I remember properly. Something pretty extreme for the 1~3 HP (depending on season) you might gain over an engine bay cone filter intake.

I just have a drop in one for now, but have been considering the ebay one for quite some time.

Unfortunately some more expensive mods have taken precedence, including a aftermarket billet grille, and my next mod, 17" polished GM accessory wheels. (very pretty)

But, soon hopefully!

Well, I'm done rambling, let me know if you have any questions, I've given much thought to modding/upgrading the 3.9l engine... it's great to have such a strong engine, and to know it won't be too hard to really get it kicking!

Wishing you many happy/healthy miles in your new 3LT Monte Carlo!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 AM

welcome! enjoy mcf and remember we r a ***** free zone...lets c any of the pics u do have!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 AM

Welcome to the MCF Family, Be sure to check the forums daily for new information and enjoy your stay!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the welcome! I see you've got yours in silverstone metallic. That was actually my first choice, but I couldn't find one within a reasonable distance at the price and mileage I wanted. Mine is "dark silver metallic" (basically grey) with black cloth interior. I've got the stock 17" alloys on it, just like in your siggy.
It's good to see there are other 3.9 owners on this site! Here's a pic I took a few weeks after buying the car:

[IMG]local://upfiles/3694/EC76F5017CD34F018568D4607CE9A138.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Boost

Welcome to the MCF Family, Be sure to check the forums daily for new information and enjoy your stay
Hey, I recognize that Camaro from that other Monte site (which we won't mention here, lol). Thanks for the welcome.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 AM

lol well at least u seem to know our history with another site but remember...that was only one person and the rest seem to b good people

Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi `Mark, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
You are lucky to find a great looking LT3, the 2006 is the only
year the Monte Carlo put the powerful 3900/242 HPinto
the Monte : )
I used to own a LT3 [X(], but life's/school cost forced me to sell : (
I sold it in Sept 07 for $18K. A great price 4 a great car : )
I loved mine, and really miss it. I now amgett'in a 86SS
Explore the Forum, and ask questions.
Look forward to your future posts.
Good Luck with your Monte Carlo BadAzz LT3 : ).
`Space

Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Mark: thanks for the compliment, and the pic.TheMonte Carlolooks excellent! I wish mine had the black interior, even in summertime black still looks better, if it is a bit hot, lol! Did yours get the brushed aluminium interior trim?

The 17" alloys are great. I love ppl looking at em wondering if they're aftermarket, because they look very aggressive with the somewhat low profile stock tires. Even though I like them I'll probably be replacing them with some Chevy accessory polished wheels soon.

I do like the Dark Silver as well, and that pic really brings out the strengths of that paint job. I was lucky to find the Silverstone Metallic I have, it basically jumped right in my lap. I was considering buying a new (preowned) car to replace my Red 2003 Monte Carlo LS, even looked at some dirt cheap 06/07 Impalas ( I know, I know,flame away, lmao! )

I had all but given up, but here I decided to give the small local placeone morewalk-through and saw my beauty in the back freshly off the truck (with the invoice still on the front seat ;-)

Such is legend... err... such is luck, lol

So yeah, that's how I came about my Monte, is there a story to yours and how it came out on top ofyour past import preference?

We've got a goodknowledge-base of information going around, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Did yours get the brushed aluminium interior trim?

The 17" alloys are great. I love ppl looking at em wondering if they're aftermarket, because they look very aggressive with the somewhat low profile stock tires. Even though I like them I'll probably be replacing them with some Chevy accessory polished wheels soon.

I do like the Dark Silver as well, and that pic really brings out the strengths of that paint job. I was lucky to find the Silverstone Metallic I have, it basically jumped right in my lap. I was considering buying a new (preowned) car to replace my Red 2003 Monte Carlo LS, even looked at some dirt cheap 06/07 Impalas ( I know, I know,flame away, lmao! )

So yeah, that's how I came about my Monte, is there a story to yours and how it came out on top ofyour past import preference?
Yes, mine has the brushed aluminum (at least that's what it look like) trim on the upper half of the dash around the vents, and around the window controls. I would've liked a trim ring around the base of the shifter too, like on the '06 Impalas. I'll have to find out if the one on the Impala will fit on my Monte.

I like the 17" alloys on my car too. It's been a long time since I've had alloys on my car. These are a big improvement over the 14 or 15" steel wheels with wheel covers on my '96 Honda Accord.

No, I'm not gonna laugh about you considering an Impala before your Monte. Actually, I was thinking of getting an Impala too. We'd had two Impalas (different years) in my family when I was growing up, so I was familiar with the car. My imports (2 Toyotas then 2 Hondas) were great cars, but I wanted to try something different this time. Maybe it was seeing those Chevy commercials for the new Silverado (with the song "Our Country") that got me thinking American this time, lol. Was first looking at the '04 and '05 Impalas, then I started leaning toward the '06 redesign. Took an '06 Impala 3LT out for a test drive and liked the car, but not the color it was in (laser blue metallic). The dealer asked me if I'd considered a Monte Carlo, and I hadn't even thought about it. Never knew anyone who had one. The more I thought about it, the more I asked myself why I wanted to drive around in a big family car like the Impala, when it's usually just me and maybe a friend in the car. That's when I started looking for an '06 Monte.
Oh, the other top contender was the redesigned Ford Mustang (yeah, go ahead and rag on me). Looked at an '04, and it felt too small. Really like the retro looks of the '05+ models. But, the Mustang got mixed reviews from buyers, plus it was more expensive to insure than the Monte (my practical side getting the better of me), so in the end the Monte won out.
One of my close friends was trying to talk me into getting a Hyundai Sonata like his, but that car is just too bland to me. The Monte has much more style! I'm still a bit nervous as this is my first American car and first used car (it was a GM Certified Used), but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll go the distance with no big problems.

Quick Reply: Another newbie from NY here