New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

almost 16! should a monte be my first car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Default almost 16! should a monte be my first car?

ive been looking at a LOT of cars for my first car. my parents wont let me get a crown victoria p71 because they think its too much power. but they dont know that a monte carlo ss has 240 hp and 280 torque
are they fast or am i wasting my time?
and is it worth the money to get a supercharged ss or should i just go with the n/a 3800 ?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definetly get supercharged. Youll be pissed with the n/a 3800 when your friends van keeps up, trust me im 17 and have a n/a 3800. And make sure on the mileae and tranny, and dont get the first car jitters and buy the first one you see. If you have the right rice range you should have alot of good deals.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

Of course everyone here is going to tell you to buy a Monte. After all, this is a Monte Carlo site. :p

First and foremost, let me say that you should always stick to something that you'll be able to afford. Not much more embarassing than bragging about your "new-to-you" car, and getting it repo'ed because you couldn't make the payments.

A little history if you will.

The 2000 to 2005 Monte Carlo (commonly referred to as the 6th generation) had the 3.4 litre engine in the base model ("LS" in 2000 to 2004, "LT" in 2005), and the 3.8 litre engine in the SS model.

Only the 2004 and 2005 Monte Carlo SS had the supercharged 3.8 litre engine. It also has a beefier transmission. Together known as the L67 engine and tranny combo. But not all of the SS Monte's have it. The 04 & 05 SS had both, the Naturally Aspirated and the Supercharged engine available.

The naturally aspirated 3.8 litre has 200 hp, and the supercharged has 240 hp.

The supercharged SS will have the cone shaped supercharger on the passenger side of the engine when you open the hood. The car will also say Supercharged on the sides unless someone de-badged it.

A very important thing to know before buying is that the supercharged engine calls for PREMIUM GAS.

If you can afford the extra expense of the premium gas and the higher insurance rates, then it's for you.

The GM 3.8 litre engine has an excellent reputation for being reliable.

But I wouldn't pass up a nice 5th generation Monte Carlo (95 to 99) if it's in good shape. They are very affordable, and a decent and reliable car. It would also be cheaper on gas and insurance for you.

Not to sound like your dad or anything, but I wouldn't advise you to try and pull one over on your parents. It has a way of coming back and biting you in the a$$. I know from experience.

If you're really determined to get the supercharged engine, but can't afford a 2004 or 2005 Monte, may I suggest a Pontiac Grand Prix.

The Pontiac Grand Prix had the supercharged 3.8 litre engine available from 1997 all the way to 2005 or so. So there's more to choose from.

Hope this helps you.

Good luck!

Let us know what you decide. Even if you don't buy a Monte.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

a monte would be a great first car, not only are the supercharged models quick, they are sexy, lol. ladies seem to like them, not like a porche but damn near as good, at 1/4 the price. try that with a crown vic "cop car". keep in mind, though, that even the supercharged montes are not gonna win talladega. they are by no means a slug, and are way more fun than a honda, but they are not gonna snap your neck when you launch the car.

btw, welcome to the forum, man. post pics of montes that you want to look at, members are more than happy to help review whatever you find, and give a second opinion. like enzo said, dont buy the first one you find, caus a better one will almost always turn up.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You know, an old crown vic would be kinda fun. You could watch people suddenly become the best drivers on earth when ever you're around.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:06 PM

thanks for all the help!
but is there a lot of difference between the supercharged and the normally aspirated?
will i really noticce the power differnce? or could i just get the same power by throwing on an air intake and a new tune

and being able to handle the power isnt an issue with me,
my parents leave the keys to our hemi jeep laying on the counter when they arent home

Old 07-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Definetly get supercharged. Youll be pissed with the n/a 3800 when your friends van keeps up, trust me im 17 and have a n/a 3800. And make sure on the mileae and tranny, and dont get the first car jitters and buy the first one you see. If you have the right rice range you should have alot of good deals.
I have a N/A 3800 as well and sound like you might need a tune up cause mine is leaving people in the dust with just a K&N Intake. Heck I even took a Mazda RX8 on my way home from work (was just messing around but he was embarrassed). It was what I could afford to buy and now I have a sweet ride that Im not in debt for and can spend some money on mods now.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Super chargers are over rated. If you get a normal SS, get a turbocharged system which will out beat a super charged one any day, guaranteed if done right. A turbo will add atleast 150hp = 350hp where as a Super charged will jsut have 240 Stock. Superchargers also take power away. Another thing, once the insurance people hear your 16 with a supercharger you wont have any gas money. Which in turn a turbo will gain MPG*
http://www.ststurbo.com/

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 07-12-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Hey what everyone is saying is true, Monte's are great cars, and you should probably take advice from Taz about the 5th gen monte's me and my friend mike both have one, I have a 1996 z34 3.4l V6 and he has a 1998 Z34 3.8L V6, they are great cars, it's my first car, I am 17 and my car was only $3,000, they are great cars, and can take off also. Oh please don't get a civic because people think they are soo cool from the whole "fast and furious" craze, I have beaten three already in a race, the monte carlo also looks good, better than a civic, and a crown vic, the crown vic is a great car, but like others have said, you won't get second looks at it, and as for chicks, lets just say my roomy interior, more specifically my back seats have gotten a work out more than once. :P I always get compliments on my car. I even got a complement on my car from a cop who came to my accident scene. Lol even damaged it gets complements.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 PM

thank you vailliant, but i really like the 6th gen. the body lines in the side really are eye catching to me, but i did not know that there was a 3.8 in the 5th gen. do you know how much power that puts out? and dont worry about me buying a honda. you couldnt pay me to even sit in one of those ricers. and a civic has like 5 hp haha
. but i also wanted to know which would be faster, the n/a 3800 monte, or a gran prix gtp supercharged, considering the extra weight in the grand prix

Last edited by raceman946; 07-12-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: almost 16! should a monte be my first car?