New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

3.4 no start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Default 3.4 no start.

I have a 2001 monte 3.4. It cranks and no start. if I spray throttle body cleaner in intake it often starts and I can drive all day. No codes except Bank1 lean. I changed the Cam sensor, no help. As you know it is hard to get to the injectors to install a noid. I do not have a scanner. I really thought the cam sensor would do it. her's more. When you turn the key to run, the odometer lites up bright and then fades away to darkness, I'm looking for a fairly easy way to check Inj. pulse while cranking since I cannot get to the injectors. Who wants to tell me how good this motor is ? Thanks everyone. Please respond with questions but mostly answers ! LL Monte lover.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be a problem with the MAF sensor. Or crank sensor. Or BCM. Could be a lot of things. To check injector pulse, you'll need a scan tool to hook to your OBD port. Those motors are good though, they last a long time if taken care of.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Default 2001 monte crank, nostart but will stert will squirt of go juice then run great

Good call Nighthawk. With the help of my co-workers scanners we relearned the crank sensor and Whalaa. Starts good. Next item : Same vehicle, Turn key to on, odometer lights up as it should then dims away to unreadable. The service engine soon light will not reset and shows driver side door lock switch inop which it is.. My goal is to extinguish the service soon light. I appreciate response.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:17 PM

BTW on 2001 Monte with the odometer lite extinguishing. Any thoughts on how to test that so I just don't throw a part at it ? Probably not cheap that there BCM.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have a link to it, but sometimes an electrical component on the board in the cluster fails (I want to say a capacitor or resistor). It's not tough to remove the cluster and if you are handy with a soldering iron and can find the info, easy fix (I have not had to do it myself).

Do you have a scan tool that can access codes from the BCM? If so, that should explain why the Service Vehicle light is on. If it's from that drive side door lock switch, it might be as simple as a bad switch or something as annoying as a wiring problem.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Default 2001 Monte dah lights dimming out

A scan tool was used. it shows no codes. it is a snap on tool very good tool. No codes to help me. perhaps a resistor. Not sure at all where to look. if you hear of something more concrete, I'm all ears. I will do the same. Thank you. Signed," Can't get enough of Carlo"

Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 PM

10 Year Member

I don't know what all scan tools Snap-On offers. I have used one and it does have access to BCM codes, but only if you dial it in for your car, if you tell it generic ODB-II, I believe it only gets PCM codes. I find it odd you have a service vehicle light and no BCM codes for it.

I tried to google for the cluster repair info, I know it's out there but I could not find it. I did find one about a GMC truck and it was loose solder joints.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Default 2001 Monte

It is the Solis Scanner. We did have a Driver side door lock code and it does not work. I apologize for forgetting that. I think that could cause my light. Thoughts ?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 PM

10 Year Member

A code for a driver side door lock. Did not know there was such a code, but if the code begins with the letter B then it is a BCM code and that is more then likely your service vehicle soon issue. Fix that and that message should go away.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Default 2001 Monte

When I get the car back, I want to replace the switch or what ever is the trouble. Either way that lock needs to work just to be working for the operator. I will let you know. Thank you. BTW so far the crank relearn has been without fail. Still not sure why it lost it's education !