New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2001- check engine light is on

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Default 2001- check engine light is on

Hi I own a 2001 Monte Carlo SS that I just bought a few weeks ago. I know next to nothing about cars and today my check engine light came on. When I first start the car the ABS light, above the check engine light, goes on for a few seconds also. Don’t know if that means anything though? Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could possibly be, or what to check for before taking it in? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanx,
-Mandy Michelle.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by MandyMichelle
Hi I own a 2001 Monte Carlo SS that I just bought a few weeks ago. I know next to nothing about cars and today my check engine light came on. When I first start the car the ABS light, above the check engine light, goes on for a few seconds also. Don’t know if that means anything though? Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could possibly be, or what to check for before taking it in? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanx,
-Mandy Michelle.
When you first start the Car it is normal for the lights to all show on the dash. ABS is you anti lock brakes, Most of these systems are coming alive when you start the car. It's the ones that stay on or flash that are the headache. So sometimes what happens is when you get Fuel and the Gas Cap doesn't get tight enough this will cause that to happen. However that may not be the case. So if you have an Auto Zone in your area or other
auto parts stores they will sometimes hook the Car up to a scanner and it will tell you what the issue is. A lot of times it's some sensor that is dealing with the exhaust flow.
Hope that helps. You can also do a google search for the issue and select videos or youtube and there are plenty of vids that deal with that on there.
Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum and hopefully you will be able to solve it without to much headache.
You should see what the service record of the Car is and Check the Fluid levels or have them checked. Transmission fluid make sure it is not Brown, if it is have it changed by a reputable service. Not sure where you are but you can call a Garage and ask for a price to get service completed. Walmart for instance does a lot of service work. The technicians are fairly smart. Keep us posted as to what is happening. Good luck.

Last edited by drivernumber3; 08-28-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:09 PM

Thank you for your reply, very helpful. Will keep you posted.