New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

02 running hotter than usual

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:07 PM
1 Year Member
Default 02 running hotter than usual

Hi all. Well, I know I had been a member here before, but it's been a while. So, I just re-registered!

I was reading a similar post to mine about a hot running car, but now that I've done the registering thing....I can't find that post!

I did learn that the guy re-installed the....hmmm....not sure what it's called, but it's the reflector thing that goes under the car. I'm not sure if mine is still there or not. He stated that once he put that back on, it was running at it's normal temperature. I'll have to check that.

My mechanic always tells me "it's a big engine, it will run hot". But....I know it's NOT normal. I know my car. Bought it new in '02.

Does anyone have any feedback about those radiator caps that have the pressure release thingy? Are those better than just the normal screw on only ones? I thought about changing out the cap to see if that did anything.

Any direction/comments appreciated!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by doeadeer
Hi all. Well, I know I had been a member here before, but it's been a while. So, I just re-registered!

I was reading a similar post to mine about a hot running car, but now that I've done the registering thing....I can't find that post!

I did learn that the guy re-installed the....hmmm....not sure what it's called, but it's the reflector thing that goes under the car. I'm not sure if mine is still there or not. He stated that once he put that back on, it was running at it's normal temperature. I'll have to check that.

My mechanic always tells me "it's a big engine, it will run hot". But....I know it's NOT normal. I know my car. Bought it new in '02.

Does anyone have any feedback about those radiator caps that have the pressure release thingy? Are those better than just the normal screw on only ones? I thought about changing out the cap to see if that did anything.

Any direction/comments appreciated!
Actually that was me.... The airdem underneath the car was off... I put it back on and the temperature went back down...

However, I have had many cars since owning my Monte and none of them do what my monte does... All my other cars the temperature gauge goes to about the halfway point and doesn't move from that point...and if it does there's a problem that requires immediate attention...

Not with the Monte though... The temperature gauge fluctuates all over the place depending on the weather but never runs hot...

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing... Maybe the sensors are more sensitive than other cars or what...

Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM

I have a 02 as well, and mine just runs a little over the half line.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What have you done to remedy the problem?

Have you flushed the system?

Stock radiator caps are fine, they pressurize the system and increase the boiling point of the coolant so it doesn't boil out and run lower.