New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

02 monte carlo wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Default 02 monte carlo wont start

I just bought an 02' Monte Carlo and I am having a hard time figuring out whats wrong with it. The woman I bought it from said the pass lock system is faulty. the car thinks it's being stolen and will not start. I tried it, sure enough security light was on and it wouldn't start. So I put a fully charged battery in it (because hers' was dead) tried it, and it started right up. I drove it home, parked it, and immediately left for work. I came home briefly about 4 hours later and the tail lights were on. I got out of my truck looked at the head lights they weren't on. I walked back to the tail lights to find, there weren't on any more. I walked up to my house looked back, dome light was on now with the tail lights. So I got in it, started it, turned it off and made sure the lights were off. Came back that night I wanted to see if it happened again and killed the battery. Car started right up. Keep in mind each and every time I've managed to get the car to start the dome light has come on like normal. The next day I opened the door the dome light did not come on, nor did the car start. The ignition was worn and I thought it was an issue especially with the security light. So i bought a new ignition cylinder installed it, did the 3 step 30 minute process for the new fuse in the ignition cylinder for the security light. Still nothing. it'll turn over, the radio will turn on the lights come on. the dome light does not come on, the car won't make any attempt to turn over., what could this be? I'm thinking a wiring problem but I wouldn't begin to know where to look.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wow?

Ok this is just a shot in the Dark but do you think the Cars computer would have anything to do with this? It reminds me a TV show back in the 80's where the computer had a virus installed by the creator of the machine and it would do freaky stuff. I am not sure if you can test it? or switch with a salvaged car to see if that would help the issue. Good Luck!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 AM

Not sure this is the best way to do it, but it is what I would do.

Pull the dash back apart and ensure all wiring to the switch is secure. Inspect the wiring to make sure all wires are in good condition and the the connect does not have any loose pins in it. Disconnect and reconnect the ignition switch and plug it back in. Perform the relearn procedure again and see what happens. If it doesn't work, reinstall the old switch and see if the vehicle will start.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 PM

i have a buddy that works at chevy ill ask him,if you hvnt solved the problem yet.bu tit sounds like the issue is in the computer.and does it have the orginal radio in it?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check the battery terminals making sure they are clean and tight. Check the negative cable ground (located on a stud on transaxle housing) and the ground wire located under the air box. If all are clean and tight it may be a loose/bad connection at the Body Control Module (BCM). It is located under the glove box and has several connectors plugged into it. Disconnect the battery, then unplug each connector (one at a time), clean the plug and receptacle with electronics cleaner then plug back in. Reconnect the battery, do the security relearn process (if needed) and see if the problem goes away. It would be a good idea to put the battery on a charger while doing the work to insure it has a full charge. If none of this resolves the problem have the vehicle scanned for codes that would indicate a faulty BCM.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Default Any fix?

Did you find a fix for the problem?