New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

02 Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Default 02 Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition

Greetings. Nice to be in friendly and familiar territory. My son and I own Monte's. His an 87ss, and mine the 02ss Signature Edition.
I would greatly appreciate any discussion regarding the future of these signature edition cars, especially the 02. I'm 52....and looking 13 years into the future, will the car be an asset or liability? Is it a hold or sell? Personally I like the car, and my instinct tells me to keep it low milage, in excellent shape, and put it away soonas an asset for retirement. New factors: Dale Sr. passed away, and the Monte is once again being discontinued. There is another side of me that says its too risky an investment and unload it now. So I consult the experts here and any and all thoughts are appreciated.I fully understand that there is absolutely no guarantee of future value appreciation of any automobile. Talk soon! Frank

Old 01-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: 02 Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition

hey, welcome to the forum
nice to see another nascar edition around the forum.

personally what a car is worth and what a car is sold for is 2 completely different things, i dont think that the nascar editions will hold their value so much as everybody thinks, they kind of made 2 dale sr edition cars, the 02 dale edition and the 04 intimidator. value is really what you think its worth, but to have a car and not enjoy it is something i wouldn't do, i'm driving my tony stewart edition, because personally i dont think it will be worth more than it is now 10 years down the road

Old 01-12-2007, 02:05 PM

Hi Josh and thanks for the welcome and reply. I really enjoy driving the car. After almost 5 years I am ready to get into another car.I am thinking do I sell? Trade it in? or just put it away. I drive it7 mos a year, and have had it for going on 5 years now. Really cool is going to a race with it and just all the parking lot and traffic attention.
That is a very sharp ride you have there. You are in NJ also....whereabouts? I am up by West Milford.
Thanks again....talk soon.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 PM

actuall swammy says:
the first edition Dale SR. car is worth more then the 04 in certin circels due to the fac tthat he was there when it was built and died after it. the 04 was a after thought and more of a factory market scam in many way. I agree they had acontract with him to produce them but honestly they should have went with JR. on this one in stead of Sr. jsut for the simpel fac tthat he was not here any more and JR. was.
that is my personal opions.

As far as value in the future most of the tiem if you have a rear car IE a true 67 RS/SS rag top camaro they are worth much more then the avrage SS hard top car. But this is from a collectors stand point.
I would defently keep all documentaion on it if you have it If not find wha tyou can and keep it with the car So that when or if you decied to sell later on it will help the value of the car.

there was one on here not tolong ago for sale that had like impossabel miles on it . he basically took it home from the dealer ship and parked it. he wanted full price for the car. Now with this said the car was in #1 condition. and this is not easy to obtain with out a frame off resto job and even then it is hard to do.

So do i think the NASCAR editions will be worth more then my 03 SS ? sure i do , those cars were a full option car and also a sig. editon and with his name on it it will help keep the value of it. and becuse it was SR. that did the car it will hold value better then say Jeff gordon version of the same car un less god forbid he has thesame fate as Big E did.
I do not forsee that happening after all last i heard he was looking in to retierment in the drivers seat and becoming a team owner.

So basically and ultamatliy the choice is yours either way you will have to gambel on it.
but remeber the edsel? fo rthe 57 belair?
they were not ment to be wha tthey are today and now they are sought after in certin circels.
so is the vega to and even the pinto. so to someone that wants oen they could be worth millions if they want your car. but to someone who jsut wants a nice motne they might only give you half of the asking price with out a fight .

hoep this helps some. Oh and get ready at the end of 07 the monte will no longer be produced for at least a year or two so i would hang on till then at least to find out what the market will do.

87SS to me the cars are nic enomatter waht shape they can be redone and look real good .
I would love to have one of those right next to the 03 i have now but at the same time it is more due to me liking the Montes for years. after all i have owne 12 total so far and hopefully i only have one more to buy and it will be the SS or my 78 with T-Tops .

but please whe ya get a chance post some photos.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: frankv3

You are in NJ also....whereabouts? I am up by West Milford.
i'm actually from ontario canada, yup way up north and hopefully next year i can put my monte away for the winter, but we haven't had much of a winter this year yet though.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Wow that was a big miscalculation on my part! Enjoy the mild winter!

Old 01-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Hi Mickey. Thanks for the thorough reply. I have kept all of the documentation right down to the stock # tag on the mirror to the stock tag on the keychain. I only wish I could have had it flatbedded home and rolled into the garage...but thats maybe in another lifetime. Josh mentions that one should drive the car and enjoy it also.I did take it to many shows with a showboard and had all of the factory certificates, info plaques and window sticker laminated. Interesting stuff. Thanks.
The 87 my son bought when he was 15 (5 yrs ago) at a cruise night with me. The exterior and interior are real nice (not perfect but not ratty)clean, and he put a 383 in it, trans work etc. This all kept him out of trouble in high school so I'm happy he's still interested in it. Will be real curious to see what it will run this spring. Thanks and talk soon...I'll work on getting some pics up.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:39 PM

those are jsut the opinions of a crazy azzed Mouse.
btu that is what iw ould do if it was mine. As far as the 87 they are great cars and i actually would love to find tha tbody but i want the blue and great version withc i belive was the 83 or the 84 . other wise knowen as the north and south edition.
To me they are jsut the oen i first saw with the SS trim and also had the privlage of driving one for a while. So i am partial to that year of the SS . but honestly other then colors etc. there is not to much diffrent between the years on them

Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

In my humble opinion to the content of this thread:

The jury is definitely still out on the collectibility of front-wheel drive cars. I have yet to find an FWD that has maintained any kind of value. Someone please correct me if I am wrong

Being a collector and owner of older muscle cars, I would personally go for the 06-07 Monte Carlo SS V-8's before any NASCAR Ed. car 13 years from now. Believe you me, I love NASCAR, but I love V-8's even more. Up until recently, I could easily acquire suite tickets at the Fontana Raceway here in Cali and would go there twice a year.

Back to the topic: As an example, my friend just bought a Lexus 350I with the full grounds effects package. Is there any reason that the most expensive Lexus cars are rear-wheel drive? I think they know that RWD's hold their value over FWD's. I would buy a Lexus 300HP RWD 350I 13 years from now over any 3.8 Special Ed. FWD Chevy.

Is there a specific reason why the new Zeta platform starting with the new Camaro is RWD?

For what its worth, all my cars are American. (even though the monte was made in canada).

Drive your car and enjoy it. Just my very humble 2 cents.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM

I just found this on a norther Bord i visit once in a while.
Makes me wonder how many of them were of each model. I.E. SS. NASCAR. LT. etc...
production totals:

00' - 68,072
01' - 71,268
02' - 70,781
03' - 71,129
04' - 64,771
05' - 37,143
06' - N/A

from the book - "Chevrolet Chronicle" (coffee table book)

as far as what your saying solar slayer i agree with what your says as i also like the V-8 cars.
but then again how many years have they came out with the FWD that are worth a crap?
not saying the Monte is the one that is the choice of collectors in the future. But at the same time we are trying to tell it.

big thing i would think of is do you enjoy the car? do you want to keep the car? the list goes on.
but like i said i would be interested to fins out the actual production numbers are for each model in the Monte world.
We know the Nascar editions were limited but do any or you know what the Numbers wereon all of them? the other thing to realize is how many were totaled out? or stolen and striped etc.. this is not just the limited editions but of all the model years and models.
not being in the states for the last two years + i don't know what is on the streets there but i know here they are not found very often at all.

Quick Reply: 02 Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition