NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

WEEKEND NASCAR @ `Chicago : )

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up WEEKEND NASCAR @ `Chicago : )

Is any Member going to the Race in Chicago ?
Let us know/post it ?

Joining the party

At the halfway point of this season, there have been 11 winners. Last year there were 12 total -- and seven of those drivers have yet to celebrate this year. Can one of them break that winless '09 barrier this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway?

Chicagoland: Get tickets | Garage Cam | Entry List: Cup | Nationwide
Joliet, Ill.
Sunny 78°
Forecast

Watch Live: Drivers speak from Chicago

Gordon, Johnson, others answer questions from Chicago media center.
Video Highlights

Harvick's past makes a Chicago favorite

Odd-numbered years have left driver with victory past two times.
Season Statistics

Busch and Stewart 'on the same page'

Two drivers talked this week about last-lap bump at Daytona.
Final Laps: Daytona

One race remains in TNT's Summer Series

We're under the lights at Chicagoland before the curtain falls on '09 stint.
Buddy's blog: Day 35

Thunder Road: Local racing at its best

A visit to Barre, Vt., shows short track racing is alive and doing well.
NASCAR Home Tracks

Preview Show: Second-half starts

Marc Fein and Mike Bell look ahead to Chicago under the lights.
Around the Track

NASCAR asks appeals court to restore ban

Driver tested twice Monday although sides differ on what happened.
Unsure on return

Power Rankings: Delivering on time

Stewart leads, but his former teammate is rising up the standings.
Daytona Moment ...

Last edited by Space; 07-10-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i was also wondering if any of our local members are going to the race(s) this weekend???

should be a good one!! shall we make picks????

1. tony stewart
2. denny hamlin
3. carl edwards

*kyle busch will be in the 2nd spot going to the checkered flag, and will probably wreck himself again*

i watched the top drivers' press conference today from chicagoland. the young mr. busch seemed very po'd at being asked questions about last week's wreck. his suggestion for changes that nascar should make were that if the 2nd place driver "dumps" the leader coming to the checkered and goes on to win, nascar should (and i quote) "black flag his ***". he was then asked if he believed he was "dumped" by tony, and he said yes.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love the kid but he wrecked himself.

then tony did his presss conf. and wouldn't talk about last weekend. he stated before the media even started asking him questions that yes, he and kyle had spoken during the week, and yes, they were on the same page. about halfway through one of the "rookie" reporters tried to "bait him" (tony's words, it was pretty funny) into talking about the situation with kyle and wanted to know if he felt kyle had changed his mind since they spoke, since kyle had just said that tony had wrecked him intentionally. tony near 'bout bit the reporter's head off and said no.

who knows what was said when they spoke to each other earlier this week? who cares? (well, the media does obviously but.) the bottom line is that kyle did what he had to do, and so did tony. it happened and its done, and now we're in chicago.

if anyone is interested, here is a link to kyle's portion of the press conference, and here is a link to the portion of tony's video where he briefly talked about his chat with kyle.

Brian Vickers wins the pole for the LifeLock 400 this weekend at Chicagoland, and his teammate Scott Speed will be on the outside of the front row. great job to the Red Bull team!! hopefully they will be able to carry that over into the race. i really like vickers and i've been pulling for scott speed, he's a riot.

Complete Race Lineup

ALSO
Chris (monte Carlo 3831) brought to my attention the other day that Tony and Kasey Kahne raced their winged sprint cars on Tuesday night at Sharon Speedway (dirt track) in Hartford, OH. it was a memorial race for lou blaney, whose son dave is currently in the nascar sprint cup series but is probably best known for his years in dirt sprint cars, and as the 1997 World of Outlaws (WoO) sprint car champion.

anyway....guess who won???

Lou Blaney Memorial Classics Results 7/7/09

14 Tony Stewart
3l Cale Conley
25 Lee Jacobs
45au Steven Lines
10 Dale Blaney
23 David Blaney
Complete Race Results

now keep in mind that Tony's ever only raced winged sprint cars a handful of times. he's raced on dirt his whole life but normally in non-winged cars. he's just brilliant. i swear you could put a number on a big wheel and he'd win in it.

Attached Thumbnails WEEKEND NASCAR @ `Chicago : )-7.7.09-racing-sharon-speedway-hartford-oh-kasey-kahne-lou-blaney-memorial-rac.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

thanks jamie lynn for the mention, once i saw it in the paper the first thing that came to mind was you would probably like the picture of smoke, i really only thought of tony as the chef boyardee race car driver, but know i kinda like him!!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

and by the way jamie lynn, as always i think we all look forward to your nascar posts, thanks again!!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 PM

chef boyardee????? whaaa?????

Old 07-10-2009, 05:00 AM

Hello `Jamie Lynn, thanks for another great/informative racing report. I would luv 2 go to races like Sharon Speedway.
Yes, Tony has amazing natural racing talent in any vehicle he gets behind the wheel. THanks for posting/sharing 4-Sure.

Left to right: Dave Blaney, Kasey Kahne, Tony Stewart, Jack Johnson and Dale Blaney. The featured racers competed in the Lou Blaney Memorial Classic on Tuesday night at Sharon Speedway.
Jason Kapusta/Herald

Stewart (14), Dave Blaney (23) and Kahne (9) line up for the start of the 30-lap Sprint car race.
Jason Kapusta/Herald

Dale Blaney drives the red No. 10 car. The color and number are the same that his father drove to many dirt track wins over the years.
Jason Kapusta/Herald

Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM

I live about 20 minutes west of the track. I may be headed out there later this afternoon. I don't have any tickets yet.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 AM

VICKERS WINS POLE AT CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY

It’ll be an all-Toyota front row for the start of Saturday night’s LifeLock.com 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Chicagoland Speedway.

Full Story

MRN Racing HeadlinesMore: News

Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChevySSGirl

i watched the top drivers' press conference today from chicagoland. the young mr. busch seemed very po'd at being asked questions about last week's wreck. his suggestion for changes that nascar should make were that if the 2nd place driver "dumps" the leader coming to the checkered and goes on to win, nascar should (and i quote) "black flag his ***". he was then asked if he believed he was "dumped" by tony, and he said yes.
I think Tony dumped him. And I think he made the right choice. The results definitely agree. Kyle Busch was asking for it when he chose to race Tony like that and Tony made the call on how Kyle would have raced him. I have no doubt that would not have happen if Martin was in Kyle's position. Martin would not have tried to block and Pony wouldn't have dumped Martin. That's why Martin lost that Daytona500 to Harvick. Regan Smith also played the nice guy at Talladega last year when he didn't dump Tony for blocking him, and he got burned for it.

Pony is not a nice guy, but he's getting good at finishing these restrictor plate races, that's for sure!

Anyways, my picks last week sucked! And I thought I had some things figured out. I haven't the foggiest idea who's gonna win Chicagoland, but I don't have high aspirations for it to be a good race. On these tracks the winner will be the fastest guy. And since practice went something close to this - that's what I'll call:

1. Mark Martin
2. Jeff Gordon
3. Brian Vickers

Did you read that Martin & Gordon are eligible for a million dollar bonus if they finish like this?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar

1. Mark Martin
2. Jeff Gordon
3. Brian Vickers

Did you read that Martin & Gordon are eligible for a million dollar bonus if they finish like this?
from hendrick?? i didn't hear that. interesting...any idea why? is JJ involved?

PS i still don't think tony dumped kyle. i watched tony's in-car camera about a dozen times and when kyle came across tony's fender, tony lifted for a split second. by the time he got back to the throttle kyle was already in the wall. he didn't move, he held his line. kyle tried to block him high and tony was already at his quarter panel. it's kyle's own fault (or hell, maybe his spotter's?) that he tried to block when tony was already on him.

(i love nascar debates with people who actually know what the heck they're talking about!!! )

Quick Reply: WEEKEND NASCAR @ `Chicago : )