NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Texas/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Texas/Sunday Afternoon

Not going to give you guys a rundown yet...... but will start out the intro and put the thread up for all those interested...

Points, Intro, Congratulatory Remarks

Martinsville was a crazy race in reality and on the MCF Fantasy, Lots of gusy picked the smae way... but picking the same way proved that great minds think alike!!!! A three way tie was won by zJerry, with a tying 2nd and 3rd place run from 03JGMonte and Teacher Todd respectively.

The run gave RocknSS04 the Segment Points lead, with Teacher Todd only 2 points out....

RocknSS04 595 Leader
Teacher 593 -2
Cowboy6622 587 -8
77P 582 -13
zJerry 576 -19
KidSpace 568 -27
JuniorCar 567 -28
montecarlo3831 565 -30
lougreen03 561 -34
03JGMonte 538 -57

The overall points have really stretched out.

Cowboy6622 3229 Leader
77GP 3182 -47
zJerry 3160 -69
KidSpace 3153 -76
montecarlo3831 3152 -77
JuniorCar 3135 -94
RocknSS04 3059 -170
lougreen03 3050 -179
03JGMonte 1759
Teacher 1464

Three races to go....

This Week and the run to the championship

With two of the biggest wild cards of the chase, Talladega and Martinsville, both behind us, it's time to look ahead to the end of the year nad see who our champion will be! At this point... despite what Stewart or Harvick may say, it is Edwards championship barring bad luck. He knew Talladega and Martinsville were his worst tracks, and he is still 8 points ahead coming out of those two. Texas, Phoenix, and Homestead are three of his best tracks, he's won them all, and as we saw in 2008 and last year, 2010, Edwards can go on a tear and win races when the time is right, and right now, Edwards is looking at his three best tracks and may damn well win all three of htese next races.

Texas History, The Francis Ferko 500!!!

I always tell this story this time of year. I know many of you ask me, "Duane, why aren't we racing in Rockingham, NC or Darlington, SC this week?" Well, I'm glad you ask.... See, this man named Francis Ferko was an investor in the Texas Motor Speedway. He claimed that he invested in the track under the conditions it would get two cup series races a year. After 7 years of quality racing at Texas Motor Speedway, Ferko claimed the track deserved the 2nd race and sued NASCAR claiming it held an unfair monopoly by allowing its own tracks, which had smaller attendance levels, to have races while Texas had triple digit sales and wasn't getting a race. He sued and won. The result was Darlington loosing a race, and Rockingham losing the race it had left. Thus, some dubbed the race that replcaed it, the Francis Ferko 500 at Texas Motor Speedway. This upset many traditonal fans of the sport, and led to a lot of threats against the Ferko family. Sadly, Ferko's son commited suicide in early 2004, the year Texas recieved its race. His father attended the race, but has since become a very depressed man and regrets his decisions.

Roush Fenway Racing

It's time for these guys to shine! They were great at Charlotte, great at most of the other 1.5's, and I don't see it being much different this week. Carl Edwards is probably the statistical best in the series here, and Kesneth won in the spring!! Time for Edwards and Kenseth to turn their luck around and run for a win this week!!!!

Biffle and Ragan may even turn good races this week. Thing is, I don't trust Biffle to finsih the race with 4 straight fenders. I'd go with Ragan over Biffle for that reason right now. Plus, Ragan is racing for a job.

Hendrick Motorsports

I'm going to go against the grain and say JIMMIE JOHNSON IS A BAD PICK RIGHT NOW!!! So far in this chase, every good race was followed by a bad one. Martinsville was a good race, and Texas has traditionally been a bad track in the cahse for Jimmie. In 2008, he spent a lot of time in the 20s and 30s and almost handed the championship to Carl Edwards that night, but rallied to 15th. In 2009, Sam Hornish wrecked him in the opening laps, giving Mark Martin a chance at the title. Last year, his pit crew nearly butchered the race for him. What will happen this year? Will he win Texas and become a dark horse for the title? Will he wreck and become mathmatically eliminated? We'll just have to see.....

Jeff Gordon is fickle on 1.5s this year. Jr. is good at Texas well. Martin is running all over people right now so I do'nt know what to think of him.

Childress

Harvick is the only guy in this crowd to worry about. Burton was wrecking people under caution here last year. Bowyer is already out. Harvick is just trying to get himself into position to be a title contender come homestead and will probably put together a solid run, considering how strong the Childress group was at Texas in the psring.

Joe Gibbs Racing

Kyle Busch is good and a threat anywhere, so hard to say. Hamlins last chance at another 2011 win was last week... he swept last year, but I don't see him winning this race agains this year. Joey is having a bad year and will probably have another bad race.

Penske Racing

Keselowski is getting good at tracks he has been to already this year. I look for him to run well. Kurt Busch is too inconsistent to really make a strong decision about. He seems to fall apart at the end of a race too much to risk.

Stewart Haas

Stewart has won at all the tracks left, much like Edwards. He sounded intimidating to say that Edwards better look out, but lets look at some facts. He won Loudon on fuel mileage. He won Chicago on fuel and being there at the end. He pinched Jimmie on a restart to win Martinsville. He is being in the right place at the right time at the end which goes a long way, but Texas hasn't been his greatest track. It's a track that is hard to get a grip on some years, so if he is good in practice and qualifying, watch out. Newman isn't much of a contender I wouldn't think.

Petty Motorsports

If Edwards wins a title this year, he has to thank the King. PEtty figured out the front end geometry for 1.5s and it is their strong suite. I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ or Ambrose run well at Texas.

Random @$$Hats

The only random @$$hat to watch out for is Kasey Kahne. He is better at Charlotte, but Texas is a good one too. He's going to Hendrick next year, and has his eye on the 5 already. However, I don't know if I'd pick him for htis one or not anyway.

My Picks

Well it's tough to say. I think I might try to hold on to my points lead, however, with.

1) Carl Edwards
2) Matt Kenseth
3) David Ragan

May edit my 3rd pick, but I'm quite certain I'm going with 1 and 2. I'm looking at Amrbose, Allmendinger, and Harvick for that 3rd pick though.

First time I've ever taken all my cars out of one stable. High risk, high reward... hope hte FR9 holds up.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 11-01-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my pick's

1)Kevin Harvick
2)Jimmie Johnson
3)Jeff Gordon

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM

5 Year Member

Rundown is up! Let's get going!! I'd encourage those who normally don't look at the run down to read the historical bit... kind of a sad ending, but just a weird way of oging about how we got a 2nd race at Texas.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Hi `Duane (MCF NASCAR Historian)
Another great thread post information...I sure don't know who to guess for this weeks race I should've just picked your picks all year & then we would be tied ~>

I will post my guesses b-4 the start of the Race.
Wish you & member's a Super Day & good luck on your picks...I guess we are all having a better day then Mayfield
Ex-driver Mayfield arrested for meth possession
click 2 read It's sad...

Last edited by Space; 11-04-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Edwards
Keselowski
Jeff Gordon

Last edited by 03JGMonte; 11-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM

5 Year Member

My original picks stand for who I am choosing. For those who wish to copy me, these are the picks you can choose from

1) David Gilliland
2) Travis Kvapil
3) Robby Gordon

'Space, you will have a Super/Super race 4-$ure if you take these picks!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:03 AM

..I'd crack `up if those picks won 4-Sure `Duane, thanks for sharing

Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 PM

5 Year Member

My all Roush team was good in practice and qualified well. Biffle is on the poll, I say he makes it 125 laps before screwing up a good run though.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

HF!!! I'm watching this truck race tonight, and Pyle Buschit just "got parked" for the most malicious assault I've ever seen a truck do to another truck. Hornaday had gotten loose under Busch causing Kyle to brush the wall (although Hornaday took the wall harder himself trying to recover). It brought out the caution, but Busch drove up Hornaday's a$$ to build speed, then spun him around and into the wall. Both cars were destroyed, so parking Busch for this race was irrelevant. Hornaday's driver door hit the wall very hard and the really could have killed the guy. Going into the race Hornaday was 16 out of the lead, but that move has mathematically eliminated Hornaday from the championship now.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Edwards
Keselowski
Kyle Busch
...Mike, I think U might want to change your third pick for 2morrow race
===========================================
I was going to post my picks 2night, but I have to go to work now...Will post 2morrow when I'm `off..
============================
I hope `Duane confirms that Kyle won't be in the Race 2morrow...Wish everyone a great eve & super race 2morrow.
Good`night from `Space ~> I'm gone = = = = = = = = = = ==
=============================================
Update:

Menzer: It's time for Busch to take a long look in the mirror

Busch parked by NASCAR for Nationwide, Cup races at TMS

Last edited by Space; 11-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Picks/Texas/Sunday Afternoon