NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Shootout/Sat. Night

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012 | 07:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

True to some extent 'Space. Luck had a lot to do with surviving. But Pyle really earned that one, wheeling his way out of 2 major wrecks. Then he timed the perfect pass. When I saw him spinning in that Gordon wreck and realized he didn't hit anything, I told my wife he was going to win. He'd been so resilent at that point I knew he would not be stopped

Old 02-19-2012 | 07:48 AM
Smile

Hi `Brent,
I agree that Kyle is a Super Talented driver 4-Sure, (I hope his attitude/personality has improved) but to me
the race (as I viewed from the recap from NASCAR) was just a crash fest with driver's putting their life/their racecars in jeopardy with each lap....I think all the driver's are talented, but to me it's not good racing...Maybe good drafting.
Personally, I rather go to the local short track & watch them race...My interest is fading fast in NASCAR & I have more interest now in road courses, then just watching the BIG $ NASCAR's going around in a circle...That's `all that falling out of my tired mind this early morning of a new day...

Peace/Out

p.s. I hope that our MCF NASCAR Member's enjoyed the race....I bet Hunter did ~> I'm not sure `if his father `Jerry did ~>

Old 02-19-2012 | 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That race proved to anyone that watched the race that Kyle is one of the best drivers of all time, and probably THE very best driver out there right now. PERIOD! And no, I AM NOT A KYLE BUSCH FAN! But that race was one of THE best races I've EVER seen, and the finish was what NASCAR is all about. FABULOUS race!

If Kyle would only grow up! Look at his older brother. OH WAIT! HE DOESN'T HAVE A TOP TEAM RIDE NOW CUZ HE'S BURNED TOO MANY BRIDGES! Must be hereditary!

Grow up Kyle, and you'll be a NASCAR champion without a doubt.

Great race!

Old 02-19-2012 | 08:43 AM
|

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
3 Year Member1 Year Member
5 Year Member

I think this was actually one of the better Daytona races we've seen in many years, and definitely the best since the inception of the COT cars. The two car draft is there, but it is a tool, and a dangerous tool at that.

The entire night, I saw no one talk about what I see as the fatal flaw right now. The car is so large and punches such a hole in the air, that when you get within about 3-4 car lenghts back of a car, you suck up to him EXTREMELY fast. The closing rate of these cars right now is ridiculous. There were several near crashes over it. Several guys made quick moves trying to avoid each other.

But what caused all of those crashes was just impatient drivers who need to learn not to hit that left corner of the car. They've got to take a deep breath and be sure not to be into a guys rear bumper like that.

For the Daytona 500, I think we need to be careful with our picks. I may revise my strategy 4-$ure. I think you need to pick someone who is going to lay back, because as tight as the packs are due to the smooth surface and design of the race cars, combined with this dangerous bump on the left corner of the cars that is causing all of these accidents, you need a driver who is going to be around at the end of the race incase all of your top guys get knocked out.

PS Anyone else find it ironic our Budweiser Shootout winner is the only participating member not old enough to drink? Brent will be happy to take the celebratory drink for you, Hunter!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 02-19-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2012 | 08:49 AM

Thanks Mod `Wayne for your post & words about Kyle...
Like I posted before, he is a very talented Nascar race driver, but to me his past behavior is not a champion
behavior that I would admire....I hope he does grow `up & can be admired for his talent & be a good example to `all in racing.

I'm happy that you thought it was the best race that you've ever seen ...We sure are a very diverse group 4-Sure...
I know that racing is a risk & expensive, but maybe it's just me, but I don't like to see driver's unnecessarily putting their life in danger in a crash fest race like the Bud Shoot`out..., but admit that many seem to enjoy the danger & see race cars totaled out & drivers put inunnecessary danger...I would prefer to see the talent of close competition....& not a race of cars just drafting each other in lines...I rather see talent & raw horsepower on the tracks....

I guess that's why there's other options to enjoy in auto racing & I think I shall fade from Nascar & explore other options...
Below is a link from the Fox Network on the Bud ShootOut..
NASCAR Sprint Cup Budweiser Shootout marred by multicar crashes - NASCAR News | FOX Sports on MSN

Last edited by Space; 02-19-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2012 | 09:24 AM
|

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

Space, I think you just contradicted yourself a bit there. but first, let me just say I didn't say I think ti was the best race I've ever seen, I just said it was the best since the inception of htis new car. The best Daytona races were probably those ones in the 90's-2000s. I also love some of those older ones from the 60s-70s with the Torinos on the track... but you had races back then with 2-3 cars on the lead lap at the end.

They were drafting in lines, but that is how it has been for all of our time. And ever since they put restricter plates on the cars starting in 1988 and holding to the present day, the "Big One" crash has been a part of it ever since really. So for all of our time (Space and I being roughly the same age), the "Big One" has been a part of restricter plate racing. All these races have ever really been is a giant crash fest.

In 2002, about 13 cars were running at the end. In 2000, Dale Earnhardt climbed out of his car and said it was the sorriest race he had ever seen in Daytona. He was still complaining in '01 when he died in a crash at Daytona. One of the things I liked about the two car draft was it spread the cars out and put them in a position where they weren't as likely to be crashed by someone else hitting another guy in the left rear bumper. However, the drivers seemed to have hated that they were only dependent on one driver instead of 42 not to crash them, so I suppose we have to defer to what the drivers and about 85% of the fans wanted. And that is what we got Saturday night.

NASCAR will always work at these restricter plate races... and they will never get it perfect. The competition will not be tight enough, or it will be so tight that it is a crash fest. There will either be two car drafting or there will not be. The closing rate will be too fast (as I think it is now), or be so low that no one can seem to pass the leader. I've seen ti go several ways. In the late 90s and up to about 2000, everyone complained because that lead car had the air on him and everyone could get ot him, but no one could seem to drop out and pass the lead car...

And I'm as guilty as complainig as anyone, maybe more so!! I applauded two car drafting early last year, then cursed it by the second Talladega race when team orders, car to car communication, and that BS with Ford telling Trevor not to push Jeff Gordon happened. I've complained about the racing being too close that they crash, I've complained about not being able to pass hte leader. But right now, I think it is exciting, the drivers are smiling after the race, and all is right in the world.... well, not all, but it's more right than last year.

Old 02-19-2012 | 11:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

I don't mind saying that was perhaps the best Daytona race ever. It doesn't feel like a classic yet and cause it was just the shootout it will probably never have a completely epic feel like it was a 500. But I can only hope the 500 will have that much action, even if it is spread out over more laps.

I love a race of attrition. I find a race that keeps eliminating driver very exciting. Thats the best part about superspeedway racing: every second of race can affect the outcome. The risk of wrecking wasn't entirely necessary. I pointed out that BradK and AJ never ran with the pack at night. The playing it safe strategy was a pretty good one as Brad was there at the end (AJ got a little mixed up but survived on the lead lap). If there is only 12 guys running at the end of the 500 I'll be happy

Old 02-19-2012 | 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Space, I think you just contradicted yourself a bit there. but first, let me just say I didn't say I think ti was the best race I've ever seen, I just said it was the best since the inception of htis new car. .

Hi `Duane,
I did not post that you thought it was the best race ever, I posted that Mod `Wayne thought that it was
I'm was just posting what I thought of the reviews I watched from NASCAR.com & Fox Sports on the race.

Maybe, I'm just to burned `out to enjoy the race(s) anymore...I'm sure that any avid NASCAR fan would not agree with me 4-Sure...

I'm happy that you love it & really appreciate your dedication to the MCF & NASCAR....I wish you a winning season with lots of fun & good racing 4-Sure...
Peace/Out from `Space

Old 02-19-2012 | 11:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Good race and congrats to the boy. Anyways we got our As## hand to us by a 12 year old. He will be 13 in April.
Brent he needs a new sig.

Old 02-19-2012 | 11:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Just watched the highlights, looked like one heck of a race. Duane, i'm not 21 either, only 18 If this is a sign of things to come its gonna be an interesting season

Quick Reply: Picks/Shootout/Sat. Night