NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Is Dale Jr's streak of good runs over?
Nah, just some bad tracks with bad results
9.09%
Yeah, those first 15 races of the year were a big tease
45.45%
I sure hope not....
45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Picks/Loudon/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Loudon/Sunday Afternoon

Points and Congratulatory Remarks

Lots of congratulatoins to go around! Congratulations to Chris (montecarlo3831) for winning Segment 2! Congratulations to KidSpace for winning Kentucky! We don't have any segment points for this week, because we're beginning a new segment!

And the overall points bring us to our last congratulatory remark for this week.... congrats to Brent (JuniorCar) for taking the points lead!

Overall:

1) JuniorCar 1777 Leader
2) 77GP 1776 -1
3) montecarlo3831 1749 -28
4) Cowboy6622 1744 -33
5) RocknSS04 1729 -48
6) KidSpace 1651 -126
7) lougreen03 1632 -145
8) zjerry 1583 -194
9) BocaReject 1009
10) carlm54sl 374
11) silverfish 328
12) 03JGMonte 273
13) nichols2k 196
14) Nocturnx 85
15) dessadude 73
16) dustybird3 34

My Own Sorrows

I've been 2nd in 3 of the last 4 races... I want a win!! POUT POUT!

Mid Season Thoughts and Poll

DALE JR

Dale Earnhardt Jr. is starting to show some of that 2009-2010 luck and running in the last 3-4 weeks. He has had bad runs at Daytona, Sonoma, Kentucky, Michigan.... and he is falling like a rock in the points.

Is the magic that had Junior Nation up in delight coming to a close? He had some good runs when he first went to Hendrick.... is he collapsing again?

Steve Letarte and Jeff Gordon had a lot of magic in 2007, then it ended. Steve Letarte and Dale Jr. had it going on for half the season, now they're in a string of bad luck. What gives here?

But if there is any reason to delight, it is new Hampshire... although I don't believe he has ever won here, he runs well here... 4th last year while he was running like crap even!!!

ECR

Are there problems at Earnhardt-Ganassi with this engine of theirs? Jamie McMurray blew up at Kentucky and Charlotte, at Darlington, Jeff Burton and Clint Bowyer blew up.. they had problems in the Daytona 500. You can't win a championship like this. Are Paul Menard and Juan Pablo pulling the team down, as Brent suggests? Is it just Chevrolet dependablity?

PENSKE?

WHY ARE THOSE DODGES GOING SO FAST ALL OF A SUDDEN??? I think NASCAR is letting them use Hemi's. Apparently, whoever Kurt Busch said needed to be fired was right, because those guys are both contendors all of a sudden. I figured with Dodge pullign support from other teams and focusing on tehse guys would be a mistake, but they are making it work now.... WOW!

2008 Esque?

2008 saw Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards at the top of the poitns standings as we neared the chase. when the chase started, Kyle Busch fell apart and Carl Edwards and Jimmie Johnson became the talk of the season. Look who the top 2 in points are now....

HENDRICK:

Is Hendrick getting it turned around? Ijust talked some trash about Junior, but I think the answer is yes and no. On 1.5s this year, Jeff and Mark haven't been doing well.... but Jimmie was in contention at Kentucky, Jr. was running well at Charlotte..... is it just something wrong with the 24-5 combination on 1.5's? Jeff has won the fast, flat tracks this year.... or, tracks that start with a P, Phoenix and Pocono.

I still think Lance McGrew needs to be gone from that 5 team to have 4 competitive teams in the Hendrick stable. Jr. and Johnson are doing well.... the two old farts aren't.

This Week

Loudon was added to the schedule in I believe 1991... it picekd up a second date from North Wilkesboro. Therefore, us southern folks, especially us North Carolinians, can't stand the place. But I think the racing in recent years, especially with double file restarts, actually provides better racing than the 1.5 milers. Strange to say, I know, but I feel it is truth.

Coincidence?

Clint Bowyer and Dale Earnhardt Jr. are two names that come to mind when you think Daytona and Talladega. Yet Clint Bowyer has won races at New Hampshire, and it is statistically a really good Dale Jr. track... coincidence?

Hendrick Motorsports

Jimmie Johnson seems to be hot and cold at New Hampshire to me. He has had bad luck here that set him back in the chase (although he rebounded strongly) for a few years. He has also won a couple of races here too.... he's had some good runs lately, but not great runs.

Jeff Gordon has run well here a few times, and his wins on flat tracks this year show that he has somethign for those guys. Alan Gustafson, his new crew chief, has been known for being good at setting up flat track cars. Historically though, JEFF GORDON HAS NOT WON AT NEW HAMPSHIRE SINCE BILL CLINTON WAS PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!

Dale Earnhardt Jr. could be a sneaky pick for this week.... not a track you think of when you think Jr, but a good one for him. However, he is riding a string of bad luck that reminds me of 2009-2010.... hmmmm......

Mark Martin..... I'll start picking him when Rick Hendrick picks a new crew chief.

Childress

Clint Bowyer could be a good pick. He had his worst race of the year at Kentucky, and New Hampshire is a good track for him to bounce back. Hopefully, the team has the rear end geometry right on that car for this weekend. The ECR engine is no joke, when it is running. New Hampshire is a pretty short race, so I think they will do well this week.

Harvick isn't a name that comes to mind at New Hampshire, but the last 2 years have been career defining years for him and he is running well at tracks he traditionally doesnt run well on.

Jeff Burton and New Hampshire go together well if this is 1999. He still gets some of his better runs out of this track, but the man has some of the worst luck in the world.

Need I even mention the 4th driver in this group?

Stewart Haas Racing

Tony Stewart is good at New Hampshire... had Clint Bowyer not been forcing him to run harder with that illegal car, STewart may have won a New Hampshire last year. Stewart was running good in Kentucky, and he is coming up on some of his better tracks. Plus, summer and Stewart go together like Michael Jackson and being white (Aw what, too soon?) I think Stewart is a good pick this week as he needs to get some wins going to insure a spot in the Chase.

Roush Fenway Racing

Roush Fenway doens't come to mind when I think New Hampshire... haven't looked up the stats, but I don' tthink a Roush car has won this track since Mark Martin drove for them.
What makes this year different is that the Ford guys are running that new engine which may help them power off those corners.

Carl Edwards has had a couple of good runs here in recent years... yet he is about the only Roush guy who has that i can think of, and he still hasn't won.

Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle are names that come to mind when you think 1.5's. I wouldn't look for them to win, but we have seen many surprises in NASCAR too.

David Ragan is driving for a job.... well, he was. Daytona may have secured his ride for another year or so.

Petty Motorsports

These guys seem to be dead focused on 1.5 mile tracks, kind of like Roush. That's the bread and butter of the series too. Kasey Kahne had a great run going at one of the New Hampshire races last year and blew an engine. With the guys they have now, I wouldn't look for a Petty driver to get his first win this week.

Joe Gibbs Racing

Okay, okay, Greg Zipadelli won this race 2 years ago, NOT JOEY LOGANO!!! Joey barelly ran top 15 that day... Zippy won the race. SHUT UP NASCAR.COM!

Denny Hamlin runs well here. Kyle Busch has picked up his 1.5 mile program recently. However, New Hampshire was the beginning of Kyle Busch's 2008 downfall....

If I were to pick a Gibbs driver this week, I think I'd go with Hamlin. the team has been making big strides since Richmond-Charlotte area, and I think they might get some things together at Gibbs and run well here this week.

Red Bull Racing

Kasey Kahne has been running surprisingly well since about Darlington. He had had some good runs here, and could have won last year wtih Petty had his engine held up. He might be a sleeper for this week.

Brian Vickers is driving for a job... if this team doesn't pull together, he'll become a start and park guy for the rest of his life!

Earnhardt-Ganassi

They have those powerful and undepdnable ECR engines.... Jamie McMurray is going through some engines this year though. Juan Pablo is a good flat track driver really, since that's what he larned open wheels on. He has turned out some decent runs, and if he wants to make the cahse, he better roll out some wins at New Hampshire and Indy.

However, I do'nt think Juan Pablo has the mentality to be able to close the deal on the races.

See ya in 2012, Jamei Mac... the 2010 magic that won those major races seems to be gone.

Michael Waltrip Racing

David Reutimann almost won Saturday night... he won this races slot when Chicagoland had it last year too. The thing is, this guy is good on 1.5 mile tracks, at night, when they have mild banking.... and New Hampshire is none of that.

Penske Racing

I am impressed with the Dodge Boys lately... Wreckalotski won Kansas on fuel mileage, but still. Kurt Busch, even on off years, runs well at New Hampshire. And right now, that 22 team is hot. Better hop on the bandwagon before Busch has another patented blow up. I'll have to check Keselowskis stats, but I don't think he'll get another win at New Hampshire just yet.

My Picks

So I need to break my string of 2nds and get a win.... I think I will go for a win this week with:

1) Kurt Busch
2) Jimmie Johnson
3) Kevin Harvick

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 07-16-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Hi `Duane,
I like your new poll & I voted "I sure hope `not"
I still think Dale `Jr has been a proven winner, but he just doesn't seem to have the team that fits his driving style.
Also, I think he needs some Racing Luck 4-Sure
Thanks for another great thread & racing information...
I EnJoyed

Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 PM

im goin with
1.kurt bucsh
2.kyle busch
3.denny hamlin

Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought the other question would have been better discussion if everybody knew who the ECR guys are out there. McMurray and Bowyer have been kept down by bad luck and engine failure. Menard and Peblo can make no such excuse.

But I fear the good luck has run its course for Jr. Its was never that great of luck - he was actually making the most of some pretty bad luck with his Charlotte and Kansas finishes. Harvicks the guy with all the luck. But Junior has recently been failing on his good tracks, and that's gotta be a bad thing. I think he was on his way to salvaging Kentucky with a fast go-and-go when he ran down some debris exiting pit row. This stuff happens to Junior all the time really. Now I'm just hoping he can hand in there to make the Chase and start anew when the Chase begins

Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I thought the other question would have been better discussion if everybody knew who the ECR guys are out there.
There is always next week.....

Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Hey guys I am joining up for the last segment of racing.

My picks

1.Kurt Busch
2.Jimmie Johnson
3.Denny Hamlin

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 AM

5 Year Member

Everyone so far ahs followed my lead and taken Kurt as their first pick and Denny as their 3rd pick.....

Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 AM

==MCF NASCAR NEWS==

Stay tuned 4 updates Above reporter needs
to learn how to spell 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 07-11-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM

5 Year Member

Awww... my left hand made it to the a before my right hand made it to the h..... I'm such a terrible speller!!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Awww... my left hand made it to the a before my right hand made it to the h..... I'm such a terrible speller!!
You should feel shame! You should be stripped of the Nascar Historian title and your MOTM win. We'll take away your Torino and MonteCarlo. And may God have mercy on your wreched soul - the MCF shall not...

Quick Reply: Picks/Loudon/Sunday Afternoon