NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Loudon/SunAfternoon

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Loudon/SunAfternoon

Points, Intro, and Congratulatory Remarks

When the dust finally settled around 1:00 am yesterday, the man who came out on top of everything was Carl Martin, who won the race, the segment 2, and extended his overall points lead. NASCAR moved Kasey Kahne's finishing position at about 12:30 and that gave Carl Martin the win in the Segment.

Guys... we've got to do something with him!!!!

We are beginning a new segment this weekend. Therefore, all we have to look at this week is the overall points.....

Overall:

1) carlm54stl 1932 Leader
2) JuniorCar 1863 -69
3) Cowboy6622 1834 -98
4) Leprechaun93 1831 -101
5) bblackstone 1810 -122
6) SupplySgt 1809 -123
7) zJerry 1769 -163
8) 02 Earnhardt 1762 -170
9) lougreen03 1755 -177
10) 03JGMonte 1747 -185
11) montecarlo3831 1733 -199
12) butch049 1701 -231
13) 77GP 1640 -292
14) silverfish 1620 -312
15) STUMPMI 1545 -387
16) adgm2005 1326 -612
17) RocknSS04 1142
18) SuperSportSteve 928
19) 01 Monte SS 908
20) 06 Mistre SS 428
21) Ricks 2006 SS 403
22) Teacher 306
23) yutzybrian 211
24) monte06ltz 92
25) Racebound2 83
26) Possum 77
27) 04chevyboy 76
28) nichols2k 62
29) Emily666 61
30) SS Means SuperSexy 60
31) mousehouse 54

For a full look at the MCF Fantasy statistics.... check the stats thread!!

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...tistics-33871/

Defending Winner lougreen03

New Hampshire History

It doesn't haev a lot of history to really discuss as far as "ancient" history that I like to talk about. But it has, in its 30 years on the NASCAR circuit, still established quite a history...

This track, while being only 1 mile in length, is quite lethal. Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty both died in accidents at this track in practice and testing crashes. Davey Allison's last race here was in 1993, because he died in a helicopter crash the next day at Talladega.

Due to the deaths at this track, NASCAR took drastic measures in the 2000 running of this race, running restricter plates. The race was won by Jeff Burton, who started 2nd, got the lead on the start, and never looked back, through pit stops or anything. The lack of passing in the race, plus the fact that there were 0 lead changes in a race for the first time since the 1970s, meant that NASCAR couldn't be that safe.

But on a lighter note, you always have to watch out for tires, like in this race at the Nashville Fairgrounds in 1971.

This Week at New Hampshire

For what is usually a lack luster and boring race, a lot of thigns are gonig on this week. For one thing, New Hampshire is a track that is in the chase. It is odd at this time of the year to be going to a track that you will revisit in just 2 months, but we are. So a few different races are going on.

For one, guys at the top of the points, like Matt Kenseth, Dale Jr, Greg Biffle, and Jimmie Johnson, may not necessarily be bringing a "tried and true" car and set up. They may be experimenting to see if they can find something that will work when they com here in the chase, since they are all but locked into it anyway.

Also, guys like Brad Keselowski, Carl Edwards, and the scuh need good, consistent finishes to make sure they make it into that Top 10 and secure a spot in the chase.

Then, there are drivers like Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne, and Joey Logano who need to win a race to secure a chase berth.

And then there are drivers who just need good consistent finishes. So who do you pick?

I think looking at tracks like Martinsville and Phoenix show us a lot about what we're going to get at New Hampshire.

CHEVROLET TEAMS

Hendrick Motorsports

Any Hendrick team should be a good pick.... except for maybe, just MAYBE, Jeff Gordon. Jeff Gordon has not won a race at New Hampshire since Bill Clinton was the President of the United States... but he has made some good runs.

Jimmie Johnson usually runs well in this race, yet strangely either wins or crashes in the fall race. But this week is his good one. I'm looking to see how well Jimmie can run.

Kasey Kahne was about to win this race in 2010 in a Petty Enterprise Ford when the engine went up.

Then Dale Jr... he has never won here, and he is known for running well on those big fast tracks like Daytona, Talladega, and yes, even Michigan, but New Hampshire is statistically one of Dale Jr's best tracks. Even on his bad years, Dale Jr ran about 10th place or so at New Hampshire!

Stewart Haas Racing

Last year in this race, Stewart-Haas ran 1-2 at New Hampshire. Stewart is a threat anywhere, traditionally these days on 1.5's, but if his car doesn't have issues, he will be a threat this week as well.

If you read my rundowns, you know I don't often mention his teammate, and if I do, I mention that Newman basically wins 1-2 races a year and then runs like crap everywhere else. This is one of those tracks where Newman tends to win at, or even run top 5.

Richard Childress Racing

I think this team is just lost right now. They're traditonally strongest on restricter plate tracks, and they had to run in the back until the heat went down this year. That's unacceptable. Plus, they're 1.5 program isn't right. I just don't know how that will translate to New Hampshire.

Harvick can pop up and win just about any race, but that "Where did he come from" magic from last year just isn't very strong this year.

As bizarre as it may be, this is one of Jeff Burtons best tracks. However, that guy is running several laps down in most races and I just don't see it changing for him. I don't think he has won a race since they went to this new COT.

Menard... LOL!

TOYOTA TEAMS

Yes, I put them second this week....

Joe Gibbs Racnig

Kyle Busch has had trouble in the last 6 races and he is free falling through the points like a fat man who was dropped on on a tall, frail tree. Denny Hamlin, however, seems like he may be turning things aruond, and Hamster is really good on these flat tracks like Richmond, Martinsville, Phoenix, and yes, even New Hampshire. So is his teammate, Joey Logano, who won his first race here (well, Greg Zippadelli won it for him), but he is good on flat tracks.... he really is.

Michael Waltrip Racing

I feel like this team could be a threat. I think some of that early season magic is wearing off of Martin Truex, but who knows, he might surprise me and show me that I shoudln't think that.

This track is one of the best out there for Clint Bowyer!!! He has won here a couple of times, once getting a points penalty for a tow trucking screwing up his rear end geometry for it. I think this might be the place for Bowyer to get another win!

I don't know who may drive the 55. That car in general has been running quite well this year. This track can strangely be tough on engines because of the variance in the RPM's run here.

FORD TEAMS

When you think New Hampshire, don't think too hard about Ford's. Ford, in general, even in the 70s, didn't like these flat tracks.

Roush Fenway Racing

Greg Biffle I think is the best threat for Roush this week... he won here in '08, but the Ford's just aren't strong. Plus, I think these top Ford teams, like Kenseth and Biffle, will be running some sort of experimental set up. THey are either going to win the race or run like crap, or even blow their engines pushing too hard. I'm gonig to watch and see how they do in practice, and make my decision based upon that.

Carl Edwards has to win races, and I think that team is just too strongly based on making strong, consistent finishes to go all out for wins like they did a few years ago. But they might change their minds. If he has his regular Fastenal paint job back, h emight run really good!!!

Petty Motorsports

Ambrose is a guy who does okay with a flat track, and we don't really know about Almirola. But just judging by Ford's general performacne on this track type, I really wouldn't consider a Petty car to be a threat this week.

DODGE TEAM

Penske

Keselowski seems like a hihg bank, high speed kind of driver. I do'nt really see him bringing himself down to a low, flat track to run too well. I think he will get one of his trademarked "decent" finsihes. Remember a few years ago, Kurt Busch won this race for Pensek... but that was Kurt Busch and it was a few years ago.

Who knows who will drive the #22.... but I agree with what STUMPMI said in Daytona... what a dueschebag. This guy had the life, something many of us would love to have, with great talent, great abilities, great positions, great sponsors, a great team, and he blows his whole career with a drug test. He still has the option (as of sunday afternoon when I wrtie this) to file for a nwe drug test of his "B" Sample, or else his suspension becomes indefinite until NASCAR repeals it based on an evaluation and screening to be determined by NASCAR.

My Picks

1) Ryan Newman
2) Tony Stewart
3) Denny Hamlin.

Good luck everyone, and enjoy the race in New Hampshire.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 07-13-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson
Tony Stewart

Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my Pick's..

1) Jimmie Johnson
2) Jeff Gordon
3) Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Carl is doing what Jimmie Johnson Did so many times to win championships.....Win races.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Dale Earnhardt Jr
Martin Truex Jr
Clint Bowyer

Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM

this should be a pretty good race this weekend.

Last edited by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS; 07-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 AM

14-18-39

Last edited by bblackstone; 07-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 AM

Hopefully this segment I wont miss any races and make a run at it with you guys :P

1. Dale Jr
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Matt Kenseth

Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I'm going to get in on this this week!

1.) Denny Hamlin
2.) Jimmy Johnson
3.) Clint Bowyer

Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Points, Intro, and Congratulatory Remarks

When the dust finally settled around 1:00 am yesterday, the man who came out on top of everything was Carl Martin, who won the race, the segment 2, and extended his overall points lead. NASCAR moved Kasey Kahne's finishing position at about 12:30 and that gave Carl Martin the win in the Segment.

Guys... we've got to do something with him!!!!

We are beginning a new segment this weekend. Therefore, all we have to look at this week is the overall points.....

Overall:

1) carlm54stl 1932 Leader
2) JuniorCar 1863 -69
3) Cowboy6622 1834 -98
4) Leprechaun93 1831 -101
5) bblackstone 1816 -116
6) SupplySgt 1809 -123
7) zJerry 1769 -163
8) 02 Earnhardt 1762 -170
9) lougreen03 1761 -171
10) 03JGMonte 1747 -185
11) montecarlo3831 1733 -199
12) butch049 1701 -231
13) 77GP 1640 -292
14) silverfish 1620 -312
15) STUMPMI 1545 -387
16) adgm2005 1326 -612
17) RocknSS04 1142
18) SuperSportSteve 928
19) 01 Monte SS 908
20) 06 Mistre SS 428
21) Ricks 2006 SS 403
22) Teacher 306
23) yutzybrian 211
24) monte06ltz 98
25) Racebound2 83
26) Possum 77
27) 04chevyboy 76
28) nichols2k 62
29) Emily666 61
30) SS Means SuperSexy 60
31) mousehouse 54

For a full look at the MCF Fantasy statistics.... check the stats thread!!

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...tistics-33871/

New Hampshire History

It doesn't haev a lot of history to really discuss as far as "ancient" history that I like to talk about. But it has, in its 30 years on the NASCAR circuit, still established quite a history...

This track, while being only 1 mile in length, is quite lethal. Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty both died in accidents at this track in practice and testing crashes. Davey Allison's last race here was in 1993, because he died in a helicopter crash the next day at Talladega.

Due to the deaths at this track, NASCAR took drastic measures in the 2000 running of this race, running restricter plates. The race was won by Jeff Burton, who started 2nd, got the lead on the start, and never looked back, through pit stops or anything. The lack of passing in the race, plus the fact that there were 0 lead changes in a race for the first time since the 1970s, meant that NASCAR couldn't be that safe.

But on a lighter note, you always have to watch out for tires, like in this race at the Nashville Fairgrounds in 1971.

This Week at New Hampshire

For what is usually a lack luster and boring race, a lot of thigns are gonig on this week. For one thing, New Hampshire is a track that is in the chase. It is odd at this time of the year to be going to a track that you will revisit in just 2 months, but we are. So a few different races are going on.

For one, guys at the top of the points, like Matt Kenseth, Dale Jr, Greg Biffle, and Jimmie Johnson, may not necessarily be bringing a "tried and true" car and set up. They may be experimenting to see if they can find something that will work when they com here in the chase, since they are all but locked into it anyway.

Also, guys like Brad Keselowski, Carl Edwards, and the scuh need good, consistent finishes to make sure they make it into that Top 10 and secure a spot in the chase.

Then, there are drivers like Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne, and Joey Logano who need to win a race to secure a chase berth.

And then there are drivers who just need good consistent finishes. So who do you pick?

I think looking at tracks like Martinsville and Phoenix show us a lot about what we're going to get at New Hampshire.

CHEVROLET TEAMS

Hendrick Motorsports

Any Hendrick team should be a good pick.... except for maybe, just MAYBE, Jeff Gordon. Jeff Gordon has not won a race at New Hampshire since Bill Clinton was the President of the United States... but he has made some good runs.

Jimmie Johnson usually runs well in this race, yet strangely either wins or crashes in the fall race. But this week is his good one. I'm looking to see how well Jimmie can run.

Kasey Kahne was about to win this race in 2010 in a Petty Enterprise Ford when the engine went up.

Then Dale Jr... he has never won here, and he is known for running well on those big fast tracks like Daytona, Talladega, and yes, even Michigan, but New Hampshire is statistically one of Dale Jr's best tracks. Even on his bad years, Dale Jr ran about 10th place or so at New Hampshire!

Stewart Haas Racing

Last year in this race, Stewart-Haas ran 1-2 at New Hampshire. Stewart is a threat anywhere, traditionally these days on 1.5's, but if his car doesn't have issues, he will be a threat this week as well.

If you read my rundowns, you know I don't often mention his teammate, and if I do, I mention that Newman basically wins 1-2 races a year and then runs like crap everywhere else. This is one of those tracks where Newman tends to win at, or even run top 5.

Richard Childress Racing

I think this team is just lost right now. They're traditonally strongest on restricter plate tracks, and they had to run in the back until the heat went down this year. That's unacceptable. Plus, they're 1.5 program isn't right. I just don't know how that will translate to New Hampshire.

Harvick can pop up and win just about any race, but that "Where did he come from" magic from last year just isn't very strong this year.

As bizarre as it may be, this is one of Jeff Burtons best tracks. However, that guy is running several laps down in most races and I just don't see it changing for him. I don't think he has won a race since they went to this new COT.

Menard... LOL!

TOYOTA TEAMS

Yes, I put them second this week....

Joe Gibbs Racnig

Kyle Busch has had trouble in the last 6 races and he is free falling through the points like a fat man who was dropped on on a tall, frail tree. Denny Hamlin, however, seems like he may be turning things aruond, and Hamster is really good on these flat tracks like Richmond, Martinsville, Phoenix, and yes, even New Hampshire. So is his teammate, Joey Logano, who won his first race here (well, Greg Zippadelli won it for him), but he is good on flat tracks.... he really is.

Michael Waltrip Racing

I feel like this team could be a threat. I think some of that early season magic is wearing off of Martin Truex, but who knows, he might surprise me and show me that I shoudln't think that.

This track is one of the best out there for Clint Bowyer!!! He has won here a couple of times, once getting a points penalty for a tow trucking screwing up his rear end geometry for it. I think this might be the place for Bowyer to get another win!

I don't know who may drive the 55. That car in general has been running quite well this year. This track can strangely be tough on engines because of the variance in the RPM's run here.

FORD TEAMS

When you think New Hampshire, don't think too hard about Ford's. Ford, in general, even in the 70s, didn't like these flat tracks.

Roush Fenway Racing

Greg Biffle I think is the best threat for Roush this week... he won here in '08, but the Ford's just aren't strong. Plus, I think these top Ford teams, like Kenseth and Biffle, will be running some sort of experimental set up. THey are either going to win the race or run like crap, or even blow their engines pushing too hard. I'm gonig to watch and see how they do in practice, and make my decision based upon that.

Carl Edwards has to win races, and I think that team is just too strongly based on making strong, consistent finishes to go all out for wins like they did a few years ago. But they might change their minds. If he has his regular Fastenal paint job back, h emight run really good!!!

Petty Motorsports

Ambrose is a guy who does okay with a flat track, and we don't really know about Almirola. But just judging by Ford's general performacne on this track type, I really wouldn't consider a Petty car to be a threat this week.

DODGE TEAM

Penske

Keselowski seems like a hihg bank, high speed kind of driver. I do'nt really see him bringing himself down to a low, flat track to run too well. I think he will get one of his trademarked "decent" finsihes. Remember a few years ago, Kurt Busch won this race for Pensek... but that was Kurt Busch and it was a few years ago.

Who knows who will drive the #22.... but I agree with what STUMPMI said in Daytona... what a dueschebag. This guy had the life, something many of us would love to have, with great talent, great abilities, great positions, great sponsors, a great team, and he blows his whole career with a drug test. He still has the option (as of sunday afternoon when I wrtie this) to file for a nwe drug test of his "B" Sample, or else his suspension becomes indefinite until NASCAR repeals it based on an evaluation and screening to be determined by NASCAR.

My Picks

I just don't know what to do. I'm looking at the Roush cars in practice to see what kind of race tehy're going to run... if they really get the handle on their cars, I might pick them. In general, I'm looking at Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr, Clint Bowyer, and Denny Hamlin though.

1)
2)
3)

Not making them yet....

Good luck everyone, and enjoy the race in New Hampshire.
I think u should let me win. ty

Quick Reply: Picks/Loudon/SunAfternoon