NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Indy/SundayAfternoon

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Indy/SundayAfternoon

Points and Congratulatory Remarks

Congrats to our magical, lucky Irish friend, Leprechaun93 Keane, for winning it all last week! He won the race in a tie breaker, and that gives him the segment lead for the time being. That win also broke the tiebreaker for the championship lead, which will now go to Keane.

2012 Winner Keane, Leprechaun93
2011 Winner Jerry, zJerry

Segment 3 Points

1) Leprechaun93 105 Leader
2) 03JGMonte 105 Leader
3) 77GP 103 -2
4) SSmeansSuperSexy 102 -3
5) 02 Earnhardt 101 -4
6) BlazedSS 100 -5
7) SupplySgt 98 -7
8) butch049 95 -10
9) silverfish33 94 -11
10) montecarlo3831 93 -12
11) RocknSS04 92 -13
12) zjerry 88 -17
13) MnteCrloSS47 87 -18
14) STUMPMI 83 -22
15) KCFITZ78 79 -26
16) Cowboy6622 76 -29
17) carlm54stl 71 -34

Overall

1) Leprechaun93 1864 Leader
2) Cowboy6622 1835 -29
3) MnteCrloSS47 1805 -59
4) monte carlo 3831 1804 -60
5) 02 Earnhardt 1804 -60
6) STUMPMI 1791 -73
7) BlazedSS 1754 -110
8) SSmeansSuperSexy 1750 -114
9) butch049 1749 -115
10) SupplySgt 1744 -120
11) 77GP 1742 -122
12) silverfish33 1672 -192
13) Ricks 2006 SS 1671 -193
14) zjerry 1671 -193
15) carlm54stl 1624 -240
16) 03JGMonte 1617 -247
17) RocknSS04 1561
18) 05MistreSS 869
19) KCFITz78 403
20) BocaReject 180
21) DarrynSami 115
22) Lorenzo 114 '

This Week at Indy

One of the biggest stories coming into this week will be if Chevrolet can maintain its dominance. Chevrolet has won the past 10 races at Indianapolis, and with the way the Hendrick group has taken to the cars, there is a good chance that streak will continue.

Also, drivers who are good at Indy tend to be good every year.... but we'll get into some exceptions. There are solid good drivers, solidly bad drivers, and a few who might accidently break through here. In some cases, like Jimmie or Jeff, you might be betting against the market to not take them. Others, like most of the Ford camp, you're betting against the market hoping they'll win when they usually flop here..

Hendrick Motorsports

One of the favorites going in this week will be Jimmie Johnson. He seems to win this place every year, but when you look at his stats, his wins are his only top 5's. This is a race Jimmie and Chad circle every year and pull out all the stops. Basically, they'll either win this race, or they'll end up in the garage after trying. With the way they're running this year, it's hard to bet against them winning it all again.

So it may seem like this week is a race for 2nd place...

The man who is consistent every year at Indianapolis is Jeffrey Micheal Gordon. He has 4 wins, plenty of top 5's, and seems to always get some momentum going. Coming off a season where he seems to run good one week and bad the other, this seems like a good week to get some good momentum going to keep those hcase hopes alive.

Then there is Dale Jr... man held on to a good finish last year and took the points lead after Kenseth crashed. But I don't think he is strong and consistent enough here to take the place on.

Kasey Kahne will be alright here most years, but he just seems too inconsistent and all over the place this year to bet on him at a place like Indy.

Stewart Haas

Tony Stewart is another rock here. He loves Indy, but hasn't won it in several years. He's had the good runs and the such, but never that win. He has the correct emblem on his hood and the right stuff under it, so he might do really well here. His only finish outside the top 10 here in the past 10 years was the year he drove a Toyota at Gibbs in 2008! And that streak includes 2 wins.

Newman and Danica... bleh

Richad Childress Racing

Harvick is good at thisp lace too, and infamously blew teh quarter fender off in a burnout here many years ago. His last two runs here were just outside the top 10, but prior to that, he was great here. There is no reaso nto think he can't get on track again this weekend.

Burton has a few top 10's here, but most of his finishes are in the 20's and 30's. He seems to be doing "okay" right now so he might not be bad to pick for a good long shot and try to be different than everybody else.

and I feel like Menard's win here a couple of years back was an accident.

Earnhardt-Ganassi

Juan Montoya for a couple of years seemed like he would win this place. He ran 2nd one year, led the most laps the next two... but just as JPM always does, he found a way to butcher it. He would crash after a bad pit stop, he would speed on pit road... and this year, he is running better and seems to finish teh deal a bit better (think Richmond and Dover.) However, with all of his hiccups putting him so far back so many years, I have to think of Juan Montoya as a great long shot pick against the likes of the Hendrick and Gibbs groups.

Jamie McMurray won here a couple of years back and is alright, but I think he is just another long shot.

Joe Gibbs Racing

Indy should tell us if these Toyota engines are really more durable these days.

Matt Kenseth has run 2nd and 3rd here numerous times, but his Ford never sealed the deal against the Chevrolets. Here lately, it's hard to read Kenseth. Sure, he has 4 wins, but those 4 wins are his only top 5's, and that inconsistency is keeping him from being 2nd in the points to King Jimmie. If the Toyota's can keep ti together, he might do well. We've known the other Gibbs cars to run well and with Kenseth's cam demeanor, maybe they acn get something together.

Denny Hamlin has been good too, but like his Toyota comrades, he just seems too inconsistent here lately... and he seems to be taking too much risk in getting to the chase and miring himself further back in traffic.

Kyle Busch, when he finishes the races right now, finisehs top 5. At Indy, he ran 2nd lats year and has other top 10's.

Michael Waltrip Racing

Being a flat and fast track, it should be up Clint Bowyers alley. However, he has two 4th place finisehs and numerous others in the teens and 20's. Clint Bowyer has to be a consistent loser and a long shot this week.

Same goes for Martin Truex, and whoever goes in the 55... just don't see it happening.

Roush Fenway

The biggest losers this week have to be my beloved Ford's.

Quite honestly, a Ford hasn't won here since 1999 when Dale Jarrett was driving them. He is pretty much the only guy in a Ford to ever win this place too. To take a Ford is to be betting against the market, and to be hoping for a good top 5 and not a win from that driver. I just tihnk they're too long of a shot to bet on....

With that being said, Carl Edwards has a couple of decent runs here and who knows about last year... he qualified really well and had early problems that set him several laps down. Biflfe has a few good runs, and Kenseth had 3 2nd place runs during his tenure at Roush.

Penske

The only Ford's that probably have a good chance this week are going to be these cars.

Brad Keselowski has put up some good efforts at Indy. Last year, Paul Wolfe got him off sequence and was running right with Jimmie, but placed 9th when all was done. The year before, he finished 9th. Last year hwen going for the championship, Paul and Brad said to ignore the stats and they were going out to run the best they could everywhere... that philosophy won them a couple of races. They're still long shots in my book though.

Then there is Joey... the move to Penske has been good for him, but I don't think this is the week he breaks out and sets the world on fire.

My Picks

The only teams worth picking are Chevrolets... unless another Michigan happens, that's how this will go down.

1) Jimmie Johnson
2) Jeff Gordon
3) Tony Stewart

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 07-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Last edited by STUMPMI; 07-28-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM

5 Year Member

Anyone planning to watch the dirt race at Eldora? Anyone even feel like making picks for it and tallly it up as an exhibition race?

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Race Info Page

Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Anyone planning to watch the dirt race at Eldora? Anyone even feel like making picks for it and tallly it up as an exhibition race?

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Race Info Page
That's tomorrow night correct? with the truck series?

That's gonna make for some exciteing racing!

Count me in should EV1 else deceide to go with it!
Great Idea Duane!!!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM

1. #48 Jimmie Johnson
2. #29 Kevin Harvick
3. #5 Kasey Kahne

Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM

5 Year Member

Here is something to factor into your Fantasy decisions...

Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Dale Earnhardt Jr
Jimmie Johnson
Kevin Harvick

Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Default Error

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Points and Congratulatory Remarks

Congrats to our magical, lucky Irish friend, Leprechaun93 Keane, for winning it all last week! He won the race in a tie breaker, and that gives him the segment lead for the time being. That win also broke the tiebreaker for the championship lead, which will now go to Keane.

2012 Winner Carl Martin, carlm54stl
2011 Winner Jerry, zJerry

Segment 3 Points

1) Leprechaun93 105 Leader
2) 03JGMonte 105 Leader
3) 77GP 103 -2
4) SSmeansSuperSexy 102 -3
5) 02 Earnhardt 101 -4
6) BlazedSS 100 -5
7) SupplySgt 98 -7
8) butch049 95 -10
9) silverfish33 94 -11
10) montecarlo3831 93 -12
11) RocknSS04 92 -13
12) zjerry 88 -17
13) MnteCrloSS47 87 -18
14) STUMPMI 83 -22
15) KCFITZ78 79 -26
16) Cowboy6622 76 -29
17) carlm54stl 71 -34

Overall

1) Leprechaun93 1864 Leader
2) Cowboy6622 1835 -29
3) MnteCrloSS47 1805 -59
4) monte carlo 3831 1804 -60
5) 02 Earnhardt 1804 -60
6) STUMPMI 1791 -73
7) BlazedSS 1754 -110
8) SSmeansSuperSexy 1750 -114
9) butch049 1749 -115
10) SupplySgt 1744 -120
11) 77GP 1742 -122
12) silverfish33 1672 -192
13) Ricks 2006 SS 1671 -193
14) zjerry 1671 -193
15) carlm54stl 1624 -240
16) 03JGMonte 1617 -247
17) RocknSS04 1561
18) 05MistreSS 869
19) KCFITz78 403
20) BocaReject 180
21) DarrynSami 115
22) Lorenzo 114 '

This Week at Indy

One of the biggest stories coming into this week will be if Chevrolet can maintain its dominance. Chevrolet has won the past 10 races at Indianapolis, and with the way the Hendrick group has taken to the cars, there is a good chance that streak will continue.

Also, drivers who are good at Indy tend to be good every year.... but we'll get into some exceptions. There are solid good drivers, solidly bad drivers, and a few who might accidently break through here. In some cases, like Jimmie or Jeff, you might be betting against the market to not take them. Others, like most of the Ford camp, you're betting against the market hoping they'll win when they usually flop here..

Hendrick Motorsports

One of the favorites going in this week will be Jimmie Johnson. He seems to win this place every year, but when you look at his stats, his wins are his only top 5's. This is a race Jimmie and Chad circle every year and pull out all the stops. Basically, they'll either win this race, or they'll end up in the garage after trying. With the way they're running this year, it's hard to bet against them winning it all again.

So it may seem like this week is a race for 2nd place...

The man who is consistent every year at Indianapolis is Jeffrey Micheal Gordon. He has 4 wins, plenty of top 5's, and seems to always get some momentum going. Coming off a season where he seems to run good one week and bad the other, this seems like a good week to get some good momentum going to keep those hcase hopes alive.

Then there is Dale Jr... man held on to a good finish last year and took the points lead after Kenseth crashed. But I don't think he is strong and consistent enough here to take the place on.

Kasey Kahne will be alright here most years, but he just seems too inconsistent and all over the place this year to bet on him at a place like Indy.

Stewart Haas

Tony Stewart is another rock here. He loves Indy, but hasn't won it in several years. He's had the good runs and the such, but never that win. He has the correct emblem on his hood and the right stuff under it, so he might do really well here. His only finish outside the top 10 here in the past 10 years was the year he drove a Toyota at Gibbs in 2008! And that streak includes 2 wins.

Newman and Danica... bleh

Richad Childress Racing

Harvick is good at thisp lace too, and infamously blew teh quarter fender off in a burnout here many years ago. His last two runs here were just outside the top 10, but prior to that, he was great here. There is no reaso nto think he can't get on track again this weekend.

Burton has a few top 10's here, but most of his finishes are in the 20's and 30's. He seems to be doing "okay" right now so he might not be bad to pick for a good long shot and try to be different than everybody else.

and I feel like Menard's win here a couple of years back was an accident.

Earnhardt-Ganassi

Juan Montoya for a couple of years seemed like he would win this place. He ran 2nd one year, led the most laps the next two... but just as JPM always does, he found a way to butcher it. He would crash after a bad pit stop, he would speed on pit road... and this year, he is running better and seems to finish teh deal a bit better (think Richmond and Dover.) However, with all of his hiccups putting him so far back so many years, I have to think of Juan Montoya as a great long shot pick against the likes of the Hendrick and Gibbs groups.

Jamie McMurray won here a couple of years back and is alright, but I think he is just another long shot.

Joe Gibbs Racing

Indy should tell us if these Toyota engines are really more durable these days.

Matt Kenseth has run 2nd and 3rd here numerous times, but his Ford never sealed the deal against the Chevrolets. Here lately, it's hard to read Kenseth. Sure, he has 4 wins, but those 4 wins are his only top 5's, and that inconsistency is keeping him from being 2nd in the points to King Jimmie. If the Toyota's can keep ti together, he might do well. We've known the other Gibbs cars to run well and with Kenseth's cam demeanor, maybe they acn get something together.

Denny Hamlin has been good too, but like his Toyota comrades, he just seems too inconsistent here lately... and he seems to be taking too much risk in getting to the chase and miring himself further back in traffic.

Kyle Busch, when he finishes the races right now, finisehs top 5. At Indy, he ran 2nd lats year and has other top 10's.

Michael Waltrip Racing

Being a flat and fast track, it should be up Clint Bowyers alley. However, he has two 4th place finisehs and numerous others in the teens and 20's. Clint Bowyer has to be a consistent loser and a long shot this week.

Same goes for Martin Truex, and whoever goes in the 55... just don't see it happening.

Roush Fenway

The biggest losers this week have to be my beloved Ford's.

Quite honestly, a Ford hasn't won here since 1999 when Dale Jarrett was driving them. He is pretty much the only guy in a Ford to ever win this place too. To take a Ford is to be betting against the market, and to be hoping for a good top 5 and not a win from that driver. I just tihnk they're too long of a shot to bet on....

With that being said, Carl Edwards has a couple of decent runs here and who knows about last year... he qualified really well and had early problems that set him several laps down. Biflfe has a few good runs, and Kenseth had 3 2nd place runs during his tenure at Roush.

Penske

The only Ford's that probably have a good chance this week are going to be these cars.

Brad Keselowski has put up some good efforts at Indy. Last year, Paul Wolfe got him off sequence and was running right with Jimmie, but placed 9th when all was done. The year before, he finished 9th. Last year hwen going for the championship, Paul and Brad said to ignore the stats and they were going out to run the best they could everywhere... that philosophy won them a couple of races. They're still long shots in my book though.

Then there is Joey... the move to Penske has been good for him, but I don't think this is the week he breaks out and sets the world on fire.

My Picks

The only teams worth picking are Chevrolets... unless another Michigan happens, that's how this will go down.

1) Jimmie Johnson
2) Jeff Gordon
3) Tony Stewart
I did not win this race in 2012, Duane. I wish I did, lol I would be 2012 Champ. lol

Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oMHG-jJTpLk?list=UUIkedRBb9U35RXj0mqrcahQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Harvick
Kyle Busch
Jeff Gordon
I think we are going there Saturday to watch quals and maybe Nationwide race. That is the plan anyways. $25 not bad for a complete day.

Quick Reply: Picks/Indy/SundayAfternoon