NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR 2day 4 `Brent & Member's : (

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry NASCAR 2day 4 `Brent & Member's : (

Hi `Brent, Duane & NASCAR fan Member's,
I did not want to post this in the other NASCAR threads to
confuse the picks of member's...
Check out their report on Dale Jr + More

Play Video
Go to Video

Costly accident for Daytona 500 favorite

Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s hopes are dealt a crushing blow just days after he secured the No. 1 spot. » 'That was so avoidable'

Attached Thumbnails NASCAR 2day 4 `Brent & Member's : (-55724519-23194841-400225.jpg   NASCAR 2day 4 `Brent & Member's : (-spacehome.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 02-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Member's what do `YOU `THINK ?

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript defer> YAHOO = window.YAHOO || {}; YAHOO.Media = YAHOO.Media || {}; YAHOO.Media.SocialButtons = YAHOO.Media.SocialButtons || {}; YAHOO.Media.SocialButtons.conf = { lang: "en-us", content: { url: "http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/Kornheiser-60-percent-sure-NASCAR-is-fixed?urn=nascar-322244", title: "Kornheiser '60 percent' sure NASCAR is fixed", print_url : "http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/Kornheiser-60-percent-sure-NASCAR-is-fixed?urn=nascar-322244&print=1", mail_property : "sports", mail_locale : "us", mail_meta : "" }, config: { widget_type: 'mit_share', facebook: { action: 'like', width: 90 }, fblike: {}, YuiIo: { transportCfg: 'http://yui.yahooapis.com/3.2.0/build/io/io.swf' } }, tracking: { _S : '95958322', intl : 'us', lang : 'en-US', pkg : 'urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,yhoo:20050301:nascar,arti cle,yhoo-ept_sports_nascar_marbles-322244:1', ct : 'a' } }; YAHOO.Media.Facebook = { init: { appId: '111580892213144' } }; YAHOO.Sports.SocialButtons.render(); </SCRIPT>From the Marbles
Wed Feb 16 11:57am EST by Kid Space : )
Kornheiser '60 percent' sure NASCAR is fixed

By Jay Hart

Did NASCAR rig things so Dale Earnhardt Jr. could win the pole for Sunday's Daytona 500? That's the accusation Tony Kornheiser made Tuesday on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption."
"Someone I talked to who covered auto racing for a lot of years, said she believed there was a 60 percent chance that Junior qualified with a car not quite up to code, and people looked the other way," Kornheiser said.
Well, there you have it. Kornheiser talked to someone who's "60 percent" sure the fix is in, so it must be true. Never mind that he doesn't mention who said reporter is or offer what evidence — if any — she provided to back her claim.
Look, we get that there are conspiracy theories out there, especially when it comes to Dale Earnhardt Jr. But it's one thing for fans to espouse those theories, quite another for a journalist to do so on national television — even in a light-hearted forum like PTI — with no more proof than he talked to someone who's 60 percent sure.
"We're hearing opinions from people who have no idea," former crew chief and ESPN analyst Andy Petree said. "You're working right next to every team in there. If I saw something on somebody else's car that I thought wasn't right, I'm gonna be the first one to make sure somebody knows it. And they'll do the same thing to me. That's not possible in this garage area. The integrity of this sport, I can vouch for it for 30 years I've been doing it, and I've never ever seen anything like that."
Even by Kornheiser's own admission the story has no merit. Journalism 101 dictates you don't report anything you don't believe is 100 percent accurate. So why would Kornheiser question the validity of an entire sport when he acknowledges his own claim has a 40 percent chance of being wrong?
We'll let you decide.
Here is the transcript of the conversation between Kornheiser and guest host Dan LeBatard:
LeBatard: Since we are already questioning college football's integrity, why don't you start investigating NASCAR's too, Mr. Restrictor Plate.
This is the 10th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death, [TV] ratings are down since. Two hundred thousand fans will hold up three fingers in his honor at the Daytona 500 on Sunday. It just so happens that his son, Dale Earnhart Jr., has the pole position for that race. You believe the fix is in, don't you?
Kornheiser: Well, it's a great America moment isn't it when Dale Earnhardt Jr. at Daytona can have the pole position ... a guy who has not won a race in his last 93 starts.
There are people in and around the NASCAR world, not just drivers but people who cover the sport as well, who are winking at this one. Who are wondering if this wasn't a set-up because it's the pole position, it's not winning the race.
It's just getting on the pole, having the lead and bringing the viewers in. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the most popular driver for the last seven or eight years and he can't win a race. This is a good set-up moment, is it not?
LeBatard: But is it a great American moment or is it professional wrestling? If you're going to lob this accusation out there ... and look, I've heard the comments where people say you let something go on the car and give a guy a certain advantage. I can't deny that Junior winning would be good for NASCAR.
Kornheiser: Everytime he runs if he wins it's good for NASCAR because he is the most popular guy out there and they want to get the ratings back up. I think the suggestion here, someone I talked to who covered auto racing for a lot of years, said she believed there was a 60 percent chance that Junior qualified with a car not quite up to code and people looked the other way.
There are no points involved, the other drivers don't get hurt and running three good laps is not the same as running 500 miles. Everybody in NASCAR is going to feel good about this.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – So here’s the situation: Dale Earnhardt Jr. wins the pole for the Daytona 500 but will start dead last because he’s had to go to a backup car after a crash in practice on Wednesday. Meanwhile – Martin Truex Jr., involved in that same crash with Earnhardt – could start as high as third in the 500.

If this doesn’t make sense, it’s because, well, it doesn’t. But such is life living within the NASCAR rulebook. Per Section 9-6-I: “Once qualifying has begun (whether completed or not) or the starting field has been determined, if a backup car is used, the car must start the Race at the rear of the field.”

It’s a good rule – on most race weekends. Just not this one.
To recognize why, it’s imperative to understand the qualifying process for the Daytona 500, which is as confusing as an Ozzy Osbourne soliloquy. Qualifying is held every year on the Sunday before the Daytona 500, but only for the front row. The rest of the field is set the following Thursday in the Gatorade Duels.
This year, Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon locked themselves in by finishing 1-2 in qualifying.
Fast-forward to Wednesday, when Earnhardt and Truex wrecked, forcing both to go to backup cars. Both will start at the rear of the field in their respective Gatorade Duels, as they should. But here’s where the breakdown begins: Because he hasn’t officially “qualified,” Truex’s starting spot in the Daytona 500 will be determined by where he finishes in his Duel. Regardless of where Junior finishes, he’ll start last.
In essence, Earnhardt is being penalized for winning the pole.
This is why Junior was nervous prior to Wednesday’s practice; he knew nothing good could come of it, only bad, and his worst fears were borne out. Now he has no recourse – not even the ability to race his way back up toward the front row. For him, Thursday’s Duel is nothing more than a practice session. Is this what fans are paying to see?
Had he not won the pole on Sunday, he’d be better off today.
Does that make sense? Not 2 the Kid from `Space 4-Sure

Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There will probably be a change after this to the qualifying rule at Daytona, giving the front row the opportunity to race their way up.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM

...Hi `Duane, thanks for your post...I sure hope that they change it, because I really believe it is not fair 4-Sure
I personally don't think that NASCAR is fixed, but sometimes it can appear 2 `be

Just finished unloading last late shipment...I must rest & recharge....Hope everyone enjoys the rac'in 2day...
I wish I could watch, but I do wish ~> A lot : )

Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I dont thik its fair either. He should be able to race on up there as Truex is. If he wins his duel he should start third which in essence means pole again.