NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Dale Jr vs Jimmie Johnson For 2012 championship?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Default Dale Jr vs Jimmie Johnson For 2012 championship?

Nascar.com writer is saying this year will be the year the 48/88 shop show they are the strongest teams in the business. They are predicting Dale Jr and Jimmie Johnson battling it out for the 2012 Sprint Cup championship. (article below)
(Jimmie vs. Junior? - Aug 01, 2012 - NASCAR.COM)

personally i think jr will edge jimmie. Jr has been on it all year. No DNF finishes, always running in the top-10. Avg finish of 2 spots better than jimmie through the first 20 races. Yes jimmie has three wins and jr only has one but with the consistency of what jr has had this year and how jimmie already has three dnf finishes for the year, i think it will be very hard to beat that 88 team this year.

Attached Thumbnails Dale Jr vs Jimmie Johnson For 2012 championship?-jr.vs.jimmie.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I think itll be Johnson as much as i dont wanna see him win another, but he can run okish for the first 26 & be crazy good at the last 10 & itll take wins more than consistancy to win it

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't mind if it was JR but I'm not sure anyone can beat that 48 team when they are dialed in. I want Harvick to win but if not go Dale Jr.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM

I think the 48. Chad is the difference over Steve Letarte. But would be happy if Jr. won.

Last edited by carlm54stl; 08-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm going with Carl and Mike this time. Jimmie Johnson is not consistent at Indy, but look who won. Chad and Jimmie are ticking very well right now. They're really in the same mode that they were in the whole time they were running for the last five championships. Last year was just a "shenanigan." The whole Hendrick team was just all over the place and kind of in "reorganization" phase with all the teams moving around and the anticipation that Kahne was coming over.

Every year, there is that driver who goes into teh chase as the "guy who will dethrone Jimmie." Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Mark Martin, Dennis Hamlin.... this year, it will be Dale Earnhardt, Jr. And like five times before him, Dale Jr will be put in his proper place by Jimmie and Chad.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I'm going with Carl and Mike this time. Jimmie Johnson is not consistent at Indy, but look who won. Chad and Jimmie are ticking very well right now. They're really in the same mode that they were in the whole time they were running for the last five championships. Last year was just a "shenanigan." The whole Hendrick team was just all over the place and kind of in "reorganization" phase with all the teams moving around and the anticipation that Kahne was coming over.

Every year, there is that driver who goes into teh chase as the "guy who will dethrone Jimmie." Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Mark Martin, Dennis Hamlin.... this year, it will be Dale Earnhardt, Jr. And like five times before him, Dale Jr will be put in his proper place by Jimmie and Chad.
read the article jimmie is using stuff jr and stevie learned in the first 20 races now. jimmie came out and said that. in another article i was reading jimmie said if it wasnt for dale and steve the 48 team wouldnt be running as good as they are, he said jr and steve keep finding little things that are setting them the 88/48 shop apart from the rest of the field. when it comes down to chase time i know steve and jr will not be giving out all the have to the 48 anymore.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM

5 Year Member

They said that about Steve and Jeff Gordon too...... who won the championship? I give you a hint... his initials are J.J.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM

The 48s mile and a half program is the best in NASCAR. There r so many in the chase. I don't like the 48 super speedway program at all. it sucks. Jr is great on the Super speedways, but there is only 1 in the chase.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM

5 Year Member

Junior is clicking on the superspeedways, been close all year. but I do'nt think he has won one since 2004. He got a monkey on his back for a while, the two car draft just never worked out ofr him, there was a string in there where he hadnt' even finished a restricter plate track at one time. There are a lot of ways this could shake out.

I wonder if the champion is neither of them. I wonder if Brad K, Carl Edwards, Kasey Kahne, or someone else is going to slide in by the skin of their teeth, go on a tear, and win the championship.

NASCAR traditional fans will riot if they do the math and Junior would have won under the old system, yet teh chase system gave Jimmie a title. And I'll probably chuckle....

Teh Roush cars were so fast for a while, they have fallen off since about Michigan or Pocono. I wonder if they have put some stuff back for the chase or if everyone else has just figured them out and beaten them.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 08-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 PM

Chad and Steve have worked together for a long time and it continues 24/48 shop and now the 48/88 shop. Jimmie I believe that the 88 shop has helped them. But Chad is the man at Hendrick along with Ron Malic. They r the team. Chad can handle the championship pressure better then any one at NASCAR. Steve can also, but we will have to see. I read the article and it good teammate talk to me. Same thing was said when the 5 car (Mark Martin) and the 48 car were the last 2 standing in the chase in 2009.

Quick Reply: Dale Jr vs Jimmie Johnson For 2012 championship?