NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

`Track Talk + NASCAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile `Track Talk + NASCAR

THE BIG STORY
Denny Hamlin won Monday's rain-delayed Pennsylvania 500 at Pocono International Raceway. Amidst plenty of aggressive driving, Hamlin's Toyota was the dominant car. He finished .869 second ahead of Juan Pablo Montoya's Chevrolet. Clint Bowyer, Sam Hornish Jr. and Kasey Kahne completed the top five. Tony Stewart (10th) leads Jimmie Johnson (13th) by 197 points.
Also: Ferrari says seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher will emerge from retirement to sub for injured Felipe Massa. The team reported that Massa, who suffered a head injury when hit by debris during Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying, is progressing well after surgery and returning to Brazil to continue his recovery… NASCAR plans to phase-in the new generation of Nationwide cars next year, and Ford announced it will feature the Mustang model when that happens… Crown Royal will be Matt Kenseth's sponsor for half the Cup series next year… BMW will end its Formula One participation after this season… The 2010 IRL schedule includes eight ovals, four permanent road courses and five temporary courses. The opener is set for March 14 at a to-be-determined site in Brazil. St. Petersburg, March 28, opens the U.S. slate. Milwaukee and Richmond are off the calendar. Alabama's Barber Motorsports Park is on. The Indy 500 will be May 30… Donny Schatz won Saturday night's World of Outlaws feature at Ohio's K-C Raceway… Nelson Piquet Jr. is out at a Renault F1 driver.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Friday qualifying was rained out at Pocono, so Tony Stewart was scheduled to start from the pole. But he crashed in Saturday practice and had to go to the back in a backup Chevrolet. After Sunday's rainout, Jimmie Johnson led the first 22 laps Monday. Stewart pitted on lap 11 because he thought he had a flat tire. NASCAR called a competition caution on lap 21 and Denny Hamlin came out of the pits first. Bobby Labonte spun on lap 96 and Kasey Kahne took the lead. About mid-race, Johnson lost power and pitted several times to replace spark plugs and his carburetor. He was three laps down but finished on the lead lap. On lap 138, Hamlin passed Kahne for the lead. He pitted on a lap 142 caution. Robby Gordon and David Stremme banged together several times and both got five-lap penalties. On lap 166, Clint Bowyer didn't pit on a yellow and took the lead. On lap 181, David Ragan bumped Labonte into hard contact with the first-turn wall. The restart came on lap 188 with Bowyer leading and Hamlin in sixth place. Hamlin took the top spot for good on lap 190. Three of his five career Cup wins have come at Pocono. Hamlin averaged 126.396 mph with 10 yellows for 39 of the 200 laps. A.J. Allmendinger started 27th in the No. 44 Valvoline Dodge and finished 17th.

NASCAR Nationwide Series
A restart with 10 laps to go set up a battle between Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski for the win in the series' first race at Iowa Speedway in Saturday's U.S. Cellular 250. Keselowski's Chevrolet passed Busch's Toyota with eight of the 250 laps left and won by .515 second. Keselowski gained track position by not pitting for new tires on a late yellow. He averaged 91.852 mph, with 12 yellows for 56 laps, for his second Nationwide victory of the year. Busch and Carl Edwards started at the back due to practice at Pocono. Busch, who led 84 laps, tied the series' record with nine consecutive top-two finishes. Jason Leffler was third in a Toyota. Busch leads Edwards (fourth) by 207 points.

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Ron Hornaday Jr. won his fifth straight race in Saturday night's Toyota Tundra 200 at Nashville Superspeedway. He joined Richard Petty and Bobby Allison to take victory five times-in-a-row in a NASCAR national series. Hornaday's Chevrolet passed poleman Timothy Peters on lap 34 of the scheduled 150 and led 115 laps. Terry Cook's spin in the closing laps added four laps to the distance. Hornaday beat Brian Scott's Toyota by .944 second and averaged 115.006 mph with six yellows for 28 laps. Colin Braun was third in a Ford. Hornaday tops Matt Crafton (fifth) by 216 points.

IndyCar Series
Ryan Briscoe beat Ed Carpenter by .0162 second to win Saturday night's Meijer 300 at Kentucky Speedway. It was the first event using the IRL's new aerodynamic rules and Honda's overtake assist system to give drivers limited increased horsepower to make passes. Carpenter, driving for Tony George's team, led until Briscoe inched by on lap 192 in side-by-side action. Tony Kanaan was third. Briscoe averaged 200.893 mph with just one yellow for six laps. It was his second win of the season. He took the championship lead, by eight points, over Scott Dixon (seventh).

Racers of the Week
Rusty Wallace and Iowa Speedway management. Temporary grandstands were added to handle the crowd for the debut of the Nationwide Series at the Wallace-designed oval, which produced one of the best races of the year.
Yes, He REALLY Said That
Larry Dixon, on his job as an NHRA driver. "I love the fact that it's not a 9-to-5 job. The last 9-to-5 job I had was working at Jack in the Box, and you spent the time watching the clock, waiting so you could just go out and play."

This Weekend
Sprint Cup road races at Watkins Glen Sunday with a Saturday Nationwide Series prelim. Race Course Plus Grand-Am. IRL and ALMS go to Mid-Ohio.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM

It'll be cool to see what Hamilton can do against Schumacher! Wonder how quickly he can shake off the rust... if there is any. Speedy recovery to Massa.

I think it would be cool to see Nationwide race different cars. Some may look at it as a TransAm kind of thing but still, would be neat to see Camaros vs Mustangs vs Challengers. Talk about flashbacks. Not sure what Toyota would bring to the table though... B-210???

Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM

...I would love to see the Trans Am type racing come back & Nissan could use their GTR or 370 Z

Camaro's/MoPar/Mustangs/370Z's
It's a great `Dream 4-Sure

Old 08-04-2009, 11:24 AM

That's right, my bad the B-210 is Datsun/Nissan Guess Toyota uses the Corolla?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by JAFO
That's right, my bad the B-210 is Datsun/Nissan Guess Toyota uses the Corolla?
..No Bad @ `all. Toyota could use the Solara or a Lexus : )
I would love to see it return....But I did like the video's I've seen where all the top drivers had the same vehicle and raced each other.
I think it was called IROC, but it was fun watch'in them...
Maybe our government will start a Racing Division, and tax us : )
High Speed MPG Rac'in LOL

Thanks 4 your post/input 4-Sure....