Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

MIGHT BE A VIDEO OR ARTICLE THAT WOULD HELP YOU IN HERE.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...k1.zPlEXFOLjlE

Old 08-28-2017, 08:14 PM
1 Year Member

*UPDATE* I did try the relearn trick with pcm but i dont think it helped.Had alot of debris,grim, oil all over motor,so i degreased it (especially ground wire),i also put anticorrosive on grounds and both fuse boxes (as well the new batt terms). I inspected fuse panel/block and just saw some green so i lightly spray some more anti corrosive on it.I also pulled pcm fuse for a good 10mins. Also swapped out a relay, one on right middle row.I finally got sound!!! It was trying to crank and my air blower would work.Still,I did not hear my fuel pump (i can usually hear it)or do not have power to radio.Found out my ac pulley is froze(Ill get a shorther belt and bypass it).Hopefully tomorrow i can work on car. Will keep informed. Thank you all for the replys. This is my work car and work on car.I like and want to work on it ,not to mention save some money.lol.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like you attitude, like most of us on this site you strangley enjoy working on our cars...LOL. I think your on the right track cleaning the contact points. A couple ground connections to pay special attention to are:
1. Where one thicker cable and two smaller wires joined with one loop connector are bolted to a stud on the transmission bell housing under the air intake duct. It's for the VAT circuit.

2. I believe one for the PCM is under the air box.

Sounds like your persistence is beginning to pay off, keep up the good work and thanks for the follow up.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 PM
1 Year Member

8-29-17 Did not get a serpentine ac bypass belt today. I found out my coolant sensor came undone and plugged it in and could get car to crank. Still no power to radio nor can i hear fuel pump. I do have another 99 monte (good deal and car in waiting) and had similar issues with the weird noises. Got the backup car started and heard fuel pump and no security light (i also bypassed the vats). After a couple of times it just stopped working (try to start and absolutely no power). On daily driver since i bypassed it back in march security light has stayed on. Im thinking it is a security issue on both cars. Can resistors go bad? I dont understand since i match the resistance on both cars and hardly start the backup. Also can vats/passlock mess with the air blower (not working today) and air compressor?Any ideas?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member

Yes resistors can go bad or get dirty just the same as the one embedded in the chip key.
As for the radio, HVAC blower motor. I agree with the security issue, and I'm leaning toward the BCM, weird noises in the dash can be a symptom of that. The BCM controls everything you're having a problem with. Can you scan for code(s)?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Yes resistors can go bad or get dirty just the same as the one embedded in the chip key.
As for the radio, HVAC blower motor. I agree with the security issue, and I'm leaning toward the BCM, weird noises in the dash can be a symptom of that. The BCM controls everything you're having a problem with. Can you scan for code(s)?
Sorry its been so long. I replaced the AC compressor because short belt wouldnt work. I believe now i have a fuel issue/dead battery or like mentioned a bad BCM. Also blower and radio still nonexistent. Will keep posted. Thank you plumebob.

Last edited by jeepshane; 09-11-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:14 PM
1 Year Member

Ok,its been a couple of weeks that Ive been trying to get car to run. Im pretty sure its not the fuel pump. I do not hear the pump but attached a gauhe and had a couple of lbs then cranked it amd got 39ish. I still habe no radio,hvac or blower. I have foumd out that i dont have power going to passenenger side fuse panel. I peeled back tape and plastic wire holder amd did not find anything wrong. I have a good battery and driber side fuse box power. Could i have fried something when the ac clutch ball bearing (replaced clutch)got wedged internally? Where do i start looking? And thanks in advance.This forum and the people on it are very knowledgeable.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member

Yup, that would do it. Jamming the electric motor like that will cause a spike in amps.
Could a be a burnt fusible link or melted connector in the engine compartment fuse box(es). I assume you've checked fuses? especially the big ones in the engine compartment?