Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Wobbly car

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wobbly car

My 05 SS has developed a pretty serious wobble at all speeds but at around 50-60mph its MUCH worse. Large bolt punctured my tire and caused a slow leak. Tried to make it home and had a blowout on the highway. Drove on the flat (which ive done before without issue, we have "run flats" on it) for about a half mile until an offramp where I could safely put on the spare. Got two new tires put on the back, the flat happened on one of the rears. Ever since I got the new tires on I have this wobble problem. I thought maybe getting the two new ones on the rear threw off the balance on the front so I went and got all 4 balanced. Now the wobble is even worse. The car feels like its drifting off side to side and feels like the rear swings out on quicker turns.

Any ideas here?

Old 09-24-2023, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member

So upon further inspection, seems the axle boot is ripped on the passenger side which flung grease everywhere and with the car up in the air I spun up the tires to about 20mph. I could feel a bit of wobble on the passenger side and when I touched the brakes, the car felt like it was going to fall off the stand from shaking so bad. Would a bad axle cause such a horrible shake? Would getting newly balanced tires exacerbate a bad axle? What about a bad hub? There is no play when I try to move the wheel but ive known something to be wrong with the hub for some time now, Ive had the TC off ABS off problem for a while.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member

Another thing to add... When accelerating or braking hard, it wobbles. Much worse when at that 50-60mph range.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member

What assembly holds the front wheels in place? I mean, I know all the parts up front and how they go together but what should I examine here is what Im asking - I feel like accelerating from a stop, the front wheels shift about an inch forward. Then when braking, it feels like the wheels pop back that inch or so. I believe whatever is worn out causing this wheel shifting is the same thing causing the wobbling.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might have a tie rod issue? Check the wheel bearing for play?

Old 10-01-2023, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
You might have a tie rod issue? Check the wheel bearing for play?
Actually the tie rods were the only thing I could confirm were still good. Decided to just refresh everything I could. Bearings were good but the wires were messed up so changed all 4 of those along with a ton of other stuff. Im almost positive it was that axle with the torn boot. Having the car off the ground and rotating the wheel (with the car running), that wheel would start bouncing.

Thank you tho!

Old 10-03-2023, 06:22 AM

Id be checking the rear trailing arms. Thinking the tire shop might have lifted the car incorrectly and bent the arm's.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Id be checking the rear trailing arms. Thinking the tire shop might have lifted the car incorrectly and bent the arm's.
It was so bad with the Grand Ams have damaged rear lateral arms from shops incorrectly lifting the car, GM has a TSB about it. The one time I felt the issue, the car felt let the rear hopped to the left or right going over bumps.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:59 AM
10 Year Member

Ok, finally checked out the rear. Everything is good back there. The issue is coming from the front, thats for certain. Front passenger to be precise.

Ive replaced axles, hubs, brakes, sway bars. Wheels are balanced and aligned, I can confirm this.

Changing direction (forward or backward) or turning the steering wheel, there still exists very audible and tactile pops and clicks. Raising the car and putting it into gear to allow the wheels to spin, causes that front passenger wheel to start hopping in the wheel well. Felt like the car was going to jump off the stands. Ive also noticed that front passenger tire has much more wear than the driver side, much worse on the inside of the tire.

Lol, its so strange to feel the car SO much smoother but also SO much worse after replacing all this stuff.

There is no play in the tie rod, could it still be bad? Should I be looking at the steering rack?

Any other suggestions? Ive started to feel unsafe driving and I drive my wife and kids around in this car.

Thanks as always.

Old 10-12-2023, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member

Does a bad control arm bushing sound like it could be the problem, more specifically the front bushing? Raising and lowering the car causes the same popping in that area. I can also move the control arm up and down about an inch with a prybar with very little force. There doesnt seem to be any "free play" on that part of the control arm and the right control arm (same front bushing) looks like the left meaning there is no visible damage?

Quick Reply: Wobbly car