Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Wire Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Default Wire Question

I have an 06 Monte Carlo LT and I am wondering something:

What on earth is the wire that comes out of the left side of my car and connects to an embeded wire in my front windshield?? On the front driver side pillar, there is a black wire (looks about the thickness of a house cable) and then connects to a thin wire that goes the whole way across the windshield at the top.

Basically what has happened is that the dealership was replacing the plastic on the driver side pillar and when I got into my car to leave the dealership, that wire was no longer connected to whatever it connects to.. Basically there is the whole embeded wire, which is all intact, but there is about 2" of the black cable that is just hanging there.. They are going to replace it for me free of charge since it wasn't like that when I came in, but I want to know what is it's purpose.. I didn't have time to wait around because I had to get my butt to work so they are gonna call me when the part comes in and set up a time to get it replaced.

But what is this wire?? Help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you.

Scott

Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Wire Question

Do ya happen to have a picture? The only wire I can think of on my windshield is the one running to the mirror...

Old 10-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Just went outside and checked, I have a wire coming out the top of the driver side pillar and comes out about an inch. Then theres like a dime sized plastic piece at the end of the wire that is attached to the windshield. I dont know what this wire is for but if anyone knows please let us know. Maybe its for the sirius radio, which actually just ended for me lol.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM

hmm only thing i can think of is that ur radio antenna runs along the top of ur windshield

Old 11-01-2008, 12:54 AM

Well the radio antenna is actually on the back window, and the little black dongle is for the XM and the OnStar system. I did snap a couple of pix from the inside of my car.. I am sitting in the driver's seat when I did take these.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...1031081508.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...031081508a.jpg

I checked my remote starter and it works just fine, the compass in the car works, the FM radio works just fine.. I don't have XM running in my system so I couldn't tell you that, but the OnStar does work fine too.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 AM

factory starter

Old 11-01-2008, 11:18 AM

But I tried my factory car starter and it works just fine.. Is it for long range starting?? The reason I'm asking is because I was probably about 40 feet away when I tried it and it worked fine.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:55 PM

I noticed mine right after I read that yesterday when I was cleaning my windows. It looks like it might have been snipped right at the A-piller. I don't know if you've tried looking but in mine there is a little hole towards the top of the pillar that the wire comes out.

This is what my Haynes Manual says about the windshield antenna:

Windshield antenna
On some models the antennas are mounted in the windshield and on the inside of the rear window, The windshield antenna is an integral component of the windshield; it's installed between the inner and outer layers of glass. To replace a windshield antenna you mush replace the windshield.

Also talks about the rear antenna being a grid baked onto the rear glass, and the roof antenna being a cellular navigation and/or digital radio antenna.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:16 PM

There is a small hole in the A-Pillar where the wire is supposed to go into, however, ever since I bought the car, it hasn't been in that slot because the plastic on that pillar was broken. Well, the tabs that hold it in tight were broken, hence the reason I ordered a new one. But when they put the new one in, I got a bit suspicious when that wire wasn't in the little hole, like it should have been. It was about 2" below the hole. So I pulled on the wire and there was no tension at all and I got the stub of wire that you see in the picture in my previous post.

I know it isn't the radio antenna, XM, or OnStar. As for the remote starter, it works just fine. I just am not sure what this antenna goes to. And it would really be nice if they wouldn't have done what they did to it. Hell, even if it is something that my car doesn't use, I don't want anything broken on my car. It's my baby. When ever the dealership calls me, when the part is in, I'm going to be asking them what was it that they broke.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 PM

[blockquote]
It is for the remote start. Did you have your car in for poor range with your key fobs? when thedearlshiprepalce the rcdlr antenna they cut the old wire and the new oneruns under the a-pillar [/blockquote]

Quick Reply: Wire Question