Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Winter Curb Hop/-Damaged/Steering knuckle/lower Conte Arm/Suspension/Axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM
1 Year Member
Default Winter Curb Hop/-Damaged/Steering knuckle/lower Conte Arm/Suspension/Axle

Had a bad night two days ago.Bad Weather, I just bought this Monte Carlo ss a few weeks ago.So i was driven home hit a spot of black ice and car sled into a carb and missed up passer drive Steering knuckle, lower control arm,Suspension,Axle and my new rim and new tire.Not happy but Sh*t happens.
So Ive got all the parts off that got bent /broken off with axle but cant get the end part off of axle that connect to trans.
Any help would be great or if u got any of these parts laying around ill buy them off u.Plus any good deals on sites .Thanks

This is what im talking about that i cant get off below

All Broken parts Off

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, tough hit. That had to be exciting...... Good to see your mechanically inclined and are doing most of the repairs yourself. I have the axle with about 65,000 miles on it. You can have it for free, just pay the shipping and give me $5 for boxing it up and taking it to the post office.

I think that part you can't remove has a C-clip on it and it slips into a groove inside the tranny. Look at the below link and this might be applicable to you.

How to Replace Monte Carlo CV Joints | eHow.com

Old 12-29-2012, 11:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That part is the CV half shaft. I've removed this same style half shaft (just smaller) a couple of times on my old '94 Grand Am. The trick is the use an item like a punch/drift, get behind it and place the drift close the the center of the CV shaft and smack the drift with a hammer to dis-engage the retaining clip (when you get the shaft out, you'll see the retaining ring on the part that is in your hand). I believe this is what the GM shop manual says to do in order to remove it.

First time is a pain, as you're always wondering "am I doing this right", after that, it all makes sense.

Also, I assume the Monte trans is like that on my Grand Am in respect that there is a seal you will need to change that sits between the CV shaft and the trans. I did not know about that when I had to replace the CV shaft on my Grand Am and as a result, I was loosing some trans fluid (small amounts, caused no harm on the trans as I was keeping check on it), but it took about a week to figure it out.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 PM
1 Year Member

I haven't had much time to work on it with the car being so cold and snowing.
But could I just leave the old one in and just install new CV axle into old one?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by killerBee
I haven't had much time to work on it with the car being so cold and snowing.
But could I just leave the old one in and just install new CV axle into old one?
Hey, no I don't believe thats possible as that is part of the axle assembly if I'm not mistaken. See all the grease and such, that is meant to lube the bearings. Looks like your axle has separated from itself....

Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I wouldn't. Replace the entire CV shaft and the transmission seal. Re-using any of the existing shaft is not wise, it's damaged goods at this point and the seal needs replaced to prevent loss of trans fluid. The seal is cheap and as I recall easy to remove and re-install (been a couple of years since I had to do this).

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

No you need to get it out. I have always used a pry bar like it says on the ehow link that zippy posted. Once you get it all back together make sure you get an alignment. A hit that hard will knock everything out of whack.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
1 Year Member

Ya i know. Was a stupid question to ask,i wasn't going to give up. When i get time ill get it off .I woke up today feeling little better and ordered a big list of new parts.
My baby well back on road with few days

Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
1 Year Member

Need some help finding a wheel like this one.17"'Brand made MSR

Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
1 Year Member

I got the cv axle out finally. Was easy once got the car lifted up alittle more. I pick up a transmission seal and was wrong one. How do u remove the full seal,i got half of the seal out.

Quick Reply: Winter Curb Hop/-Damaged/Steering knuckle/lower Conte Arm/Suspension/Axle