Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

windsheld wiper stuck in up when park HELP

Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Default windsheld wiper stuck in up when park HELP

Hello

I have a 2002 monte carlo ls v6 The wiper is stuck up when I turn off the wipers it goes down then up and stops in the up right. I took out the motor and put in a new pulse board. That didn't work still does the same thing. I looked at the bracket and looks good not bent.

Thanks
Bob

Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM

There is a small metal tab that is part of the wiper bracket it needs to line up perfectly with the wiper motor drive arm. There is a small rod attached to that arm that has a V notched into the end of it, the tab needs to line up with that.

Last edited by Justin Knight; 03-28-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Default Wipers stuck in full up position.

I have a 2001 SS and am having the same problem. After the last ice blast we got my wipers were on and when I went to turn them off they cycled up, down and rested at full up. Can not seem to figure it out. Did nothing mechanical at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM

As I mentioned above there is that metal tab on the wiper motor mounting bracket. I just fixed one of these today and the wipers are in the down position now. Remove the wiper arms and the plastic cover over top of the wiper motor on the drivers side just below the windshield. There is another plastic cover held on with a push pin, remove that and you will see the crank arm. It's a small flat metal tab that should be angled straight up. With the wiper arms removed and the bent tab re-aligned a small rod or lever should butt up against that tab after you cycle the wipers with the switch. If it didn't line up right try it again with the tab moved whatever way it needs to go for it to line up with the V in the small lever. Once the wiper arm stops it will be in the down (rest) position re-attach the wiper arms after it's all back together and they will work the way they should. This can happen from ice or a blockage being under the wipers when they get turned off. Or if they are frozen to the windshield when they are turned on.

It happens all the time. And if the metal tab wasn't bent the arms probably turned on the wiper posts and all the above procedure will fix that anyway so just do it. Don't be afraid to snug down the 13mm nuts to hold the wiper arms in place tightly it will keep them from spinning again.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Thank you for the info, fixed it and all is well again.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 PM

I just finished correcting my wiper problem using Justin’s write-up. It worked! Awesome! Thanks Justin!

However, for me some adjustment to the write up would have been very helpful. With that in mind I offer the following amendment to Justin’s write-up, it case it may help someone else:

First remove the wiper arms and the plastic cover over the top of the wiper motor on the driver’s side just below the windshield. Once those are removed, you will find another plastic cover over the wiper motor. This cover is held in place with a plastic push pin. Remove the push pin and cover. Now you will be able to see the crank arm (see crank arm description below) and the wiper motor mounting bracket.

The wiper motor mounting bracket is a basically horizontally mounted plate pressed out of galvanized steel. The wiper motor shaft extends up through a hole in the bracket to the crank arm and a piece of the mounting bracket is bent up to form a metal tab located slightly under the crank arm. This tab should be essentially vertical in comparison to the horizontal bracket and it has a little notch in it.

When properly aligned, a small lever on the bottom of the crank arm will catch on this tab.
(note: in the clockwise direction the lever will simply slide past the tab, but in the counter clockwise direction the lever will catch on the tab and stop the motor.)
The tab is a bit difficult to bend. I used a long regular screwdriver and a small hammer to bend it. My process took several adjustments and ended up with the tab just a little past vertical (toward the center of the crank arm hub). Again, when properly aligned, the notch in the small lever will catch on the tab and stop the motor. Once stopped in this manner, the motor will be in the “park” position. At this point, re-install the covers, pins and fasteners and re-attach the wiper arms in their “park” position. Once all is re-assembled the wipers should work properly again.
Note: This issue can be caused by ice or a blockage under the wipers when they are turned off OR if the wipers are frozen to the windshield when they are turned on.

Crank arm description:
The crank arm is basically an assembly of 3 flat plates. The essentially oval assembly is pressed on the motor shaft and the bottom ‘plate’ has moving parts (e.g., the lever described above). In OEM condition this crank arm will have a plastic cover of its own that snaps on/off.
While I was surprised that the wiper motor would/could eventually bend this rather hefty tab out of position, apparently it does and Justin says it happens all the time. Justin also notes that if you find that the metal tab isn’t bent out of position, the issue may be that the wiper arms have turned on their posts. Using the same basic procedure above will fix this problem also except you won’t have to adjust the tab. Don't be afraid to snug down the 13mm nuts to hold the wiper arms in place tightly it will keep them from spinning again.

Tim