Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Windsheild defroster problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Windsheild defroster problem

Okay guys,soo my montes been throwing me problems,just little expensive ones:/ But anyways,ever time i jump in the heat up the car and turn the defroster on for the windsheild it completly fogs the inside up when it wasnt fogged up before,and takes a bout 10 minutes to clean off on full blast heat,what could be wrong?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 PM

I just had the same problem today but only the driver side and its freaking hard to see. Help!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Its a pain! Cant wait to sell my quad to be able to fix my gauge problem,windsheild wiper motor,and got somethin wrong with my front cig liter which i was using for my gps aka my speedometer! lol

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM

I just found out with Google that its the heater core that is bad. The inside smells like coolant and vapor comes out the vents and all my windows are fogged up including my rear-view mirror. One of my friends have my old Monte Haynes manual but I'm hopping its the same for an 02' and an 06' to replace.

Any one know how hard it is to replace?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM

haven't done one before, but if i recall it's a pretty intense job. you have to pretty much rip your whole dash apart to get to it. i can't find the proper information on how to replace it, but i know it's a pain.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM

It sounds like 2 different issues to me. I mean, they could be the same but I have some moist air come out of my heater onto my windows most days since it was new, especially after a rain or snow or after I wash the car.

Kingreyna sounds like a heater core with the smell of coolant.

04Chevyboy sounds like normal stock issues. I read about a fix on it before to do with the air cabin filter but I never bothered.

10min to clear the windows is extensive but not by too much and it is very circumstantial (ie: weather, air temp, humidity, etc). Do you get the smell of coolant?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does your air conditioner work correctly? The Compressor helps dehumidify the air when it it set to defrost.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shandley
It sounds like 2 different issues to me. I mean, they could be the same but I have some moist air come out of my heater onto my windows most days since it was new, especially after a rain or snow or after I wash the car.

Kingreyna sounds like a heater core with the smell of coolant.

04Chevyboy sounds like normal stock issues. I read about a fix on it before to do with the air cabin filter but I never bothered.

10min to clear the windows is extensive but not by too much and it is very circumstantial (ie: weather, air temp, humidity, etc). Do you get the smell of coolant?
no, no smells what so ever
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Does your air conditioner work correctly? The Compressor helps dehumidify the air when it it set to defrost.
Yeah,ac works great,heat takes forever tho sometimes. pick up someinside window defogger,maybe it will help but noy to worried about this problem anymore lol

Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree that for Kingreyna it sounds like a bad heater core due to the smell of coolant.

04Chevyboy - Try turning down the heat. The difference between the outside ambient temp and the temp of the warm air coming from the defroster will fog the windows. The windows will defog much faster using cool air. Once they are defrosted then turn up the heat.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I agree that for Kingreyna it sounds like a bad heater core due to the smell of coolant.

04Chevyboy - Try turning down the heat. The difference between the outside ambient temp and the temp of the warm air coming from the defroster will fog the windows. The windows will defog much faster using cool air. Once they are defrosted then turn up the heat.
Ill try that! What ive been doing is turning heat on the floor first then going up to the windsheild,its been working too:p

Quick Reply: Windsheild defroster problem