Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Wheel hub replacement with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wheel hub replacement with pics

I'd like to thank everybody here for help and advice as it very useful. I did this back in August so my bolt sizes may be off.

Symptoms:
About a year ago I started getting traction control popping up randomly along with ABS about 6 months after that, it's not so fun when turning onto a busy road to lose traction for a second. Eventually I started getting the security message popping up either mid-ride or when the car started. I thought it was the ignition cylinder needing to be replaced or overridden via a resistor.

Turns out that the security message went away with the wheel hub replacement for the bad sensor on it.

HOW TO STEP BY STEP:
ChibiBlackSheep made an excellent write up ----> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...ssembly-33657/

I hope to add to this with pictures.

FYI I have no impact tools so the hardest part was getting the axle-nut off. Really cranked on it, no luck even with a breaker bar. The breaker bar was bending quite a bit, even my large roommate couldn't crack it. So be sure to have PB blaster and use it, I went to the store then came back and started again. Also get a long piece of pipe to extend the breaker bar leverage. I think this one was ~$10 at home depot.

Sqxkvgy.jpg

Remember to use a 36mm socket. You can get a loaner at most autoparts stores, that's what I did. I also loaned a axle puller just in case. Didn't need it

vUsWyLO.jpg

Once the wheel is off an axle nut cracked loose, remove the caliper. 2 bolts (15mm), maybe grind yours down and put caliper paint on them like I did years ago. A small pipe adds leverage and makes life easier.

o7vKNtz.jpg

Hang it via a bungie cord, makes life easy.

CbD89GM.jpg

2 more bolts to do (13mm) these are a different size than the previous.

dV4yOB0.jpg

Remove the rotor, I used these locks (optional) to help keep the jiggle down after my brake and rotor replacement years ago. Had to bend the teeth to remove them, replaced with new ones (optional)

KVofJwZ.jpg

Finishing removing axle nut (note i didn't remove my rotor yet in this pic)
nzRKsD6.jpg

The hub has 3 bolts to remove, two on the bottom one on the top like a triangle. For me the hardest is the top. It really pays to have a ratchet that has an adjustable head angle, and I needed an extension to get the top bolt off easily without my ratchet getting in the way. A ratcheting wrench can solve this issue too.

The bottom left bolt is shown here

Z96cE0M.jpg

Me using the extension to get the top bolt off.

ApEJPiw.jpg

DISCONNECT THE SENSOR before you attempt to remove the wheel hub, unclip the sensor, and hope the hub will pulls off easily, else use the hub puller.

oqaSW70.jpg

Another angle. Remember the orientation of the bracket. Your sensor will clip into this bracket.

M1Sy5GV.jpg

Here's your old wheel hub

3iFfZF8.jpg

Your wheel hub hole is probably grimey so clean the inside of your hub hole and then insert the hub. Have the sensor wire in the same position, remember the new sensor has a clip too. Getting the bolts back in can be a pain too, I started the the top one first then added the others. The wheel hub will slide into the CV axle as you tighten the axle nut, so don't worry if it isn't in all the way. Relatively painless job, assuming you have the right tools.

Last edited by xpage; 01-24-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:03 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for the write up with pics!! Good job!!

Old 01-25-2016, 03:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad my write-up helped you

Although a note to everyone, it seems like GM liked to change axle nut sizes constantly. Hopefully you have a way to test before you purchase, or pick up a few sizes and return what you didn't use.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sometimes when you get the axle nut kit they just come with an assortment of different sizes