Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

What is Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Default What is Traction Control?

Hi, I plan on buying a 2006 LT 3.9 within the next two weeks and am doing alot of research on the car. One of my biggest questions is, what exactly is TC, what does it do? And do you think it helps alot in slippery conditions? I will be giving up 4 wheel drive to get this car, which kind of sucks, but I know I'll be glad I did it. I did a search but all I could find were threads of people having a problem with their TC, but none explaining what it does. I appreciate any help.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: What is Traction Control?

here's a link i found on google for you...probably explains it better than anyone can write from the top of their heads
hopefully this helps you

i would take the front wheel drive monte over a 4wd truck any day

Traction Control
What is it and how does it work?

Ray Johansen
Asst. Instructor -- Advanced Driving & Security Inc. [font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]
What is traction, and what does traction control do on my car while I drive? Traction is the grip that your car’s tires have on the road, which is needed to accelerate, turn and brake. If your car, or more specifically, your tires have little or no grip; your car will not accelerate, turn or brake and will skid. Traction control devices in the car will help prevent this loss of grip so your tires will have traction to accelerate, turn and brake.
The most common and well-known traction control device is the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS). ABS is designed to prevent your wheels from locking up during panic or hard braking. When braking, if your front wheels lock-up, steering control is lost and your car will continue in the same path as before you attempted to brake. The system consists of a host of speed sensors and a central computer. Speed sensors are located at the wheels of the car, which tell the computer how fast they are turning. The computer constantly evaluates the speed of the vehicle and the speed of the wheels. When the brake pedal is depressed and the speed of the wheel reaches or get close to locking-up, the ABS computer will then modulate the amount of brake pressure (or “pump” the brakes), as fast as fifteen times per second, on that wheel. This continuing modulation or pumping will prevent or correct wheel lock-up and allow the driver to brake and steer. ABS systems do vary from auto manufacturer to auto manufacturer. It is important know if the car you are driving is equipped with ABS and how to brake if ABS is activated. Shortly after its introduction in the marketplace, there were insurance industry studies that showed ABS equipped cars were in a higher rate of accidents then those not equipped. In this study, it was shown that the most frequent factor in these accidents was driver error. Drivers were not putting enough pressure on the brake, not holding brake pressure long enough or trying to pump the brakes. Evidence also suggests that drivers were over confident when driving an ABS equipped car and were not allowing for a safe following or braking distance.
To correctly use the brakes in an ABS equipped car in a panic situation, the driver must apply the brakes 100 percent, using all available force. The ABS computer will prevent brake lockup and the tires sliding on the travel surface. This will allow the driver to steer around the threat. It is important to remember that ABS can increase straight-line stopping distances beyond that of threshold braking in a non-ABS equipped car. ABS offers drivers, in an emergency situation, the ability to maintain steering control so they can steer clear of an obstacle or threat. Current ABS systems give feedback to the driver to let them know it is activated and operating during the current braking maneuver. The most common way that ABS communicates to the driver is a pulsing sensation felt in the braking foot or a rattling noise during braking. This is normal operation and is telling the driver ABS is working. As di

Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Awesome, Thanks alot!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

no problem...

Old 02-14-2007, 12:37 PM

I'v had my Monte with TC for almost 6 years now. The only time the TC was usefull was when I hydroplaned. Otherwise, I always have to turn it off in the snow. Never got stuck with studed tires though :-) Best 2 wheel drive car in the snow!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Found out the hard way stuck my 06 SS this morning, everytime I got it to start moving the the wheels started slipping and it cut power. When it did STUCK again. Cut power so hard once that even though I had my foot half way down the T/B cut it back to idle.

I did kick in the a$$ pretty hard morePO'd at myself for getting in there in the first place, power getting cut didn't help matters.