Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): weird problems? or stubborn/possessed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Default weird problems? or stubborn/possessed?

Any help or advice is appreciated... these problems may be unrelated...

1) A/C is inop, however everything in the HVAC seems to be working. A/C worked when I first got the car a couple months ago. I figured it wasn't working due to a "high speed fan" CEI, which I am pretty sure I have finally repaired (had a thread for that too).

2) This one is weird...say I put the fan on 4 or 5, then say I turn it down to 2, HVAC control head and fan shuts off, all little lights go out, a second or two pause, then it all comes back to life again.

3) I don't have any remotes programmed to car thanks to aftermarket radio installed by previous owner, so I'm using key for every entry/unlock... intermittently, with no reason I can determine, I'll unlock car, get in and start it, then it will start pulsing the door locks to unlock (both doors), like someone is sitting there pushing the "door unlock" button or remote unlock? Stops when I shut car off.

4) lastly, seems like every time I get out, I get a little zap/shock almost like a strong static shock from the door. I know I have cloth seats, but this isn't the first vehicle I've ever owned with cloth seats. This is like literally every time I get out after driving or running it.

Last edited by SSBlue; 05-13-2016 at 07:43 AM. Reason: left out info.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you have an electrical short. The problem sounds similar to a previous thread posted by ScottS. Not sure if he was able to resolve.

Here's the link to that thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...io-wire-56013/

Last edited by plumbob; 05-13-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Arrow >Monte Carlo Exorcism<

Hi S.S.Blue,
I hope one of our expert member's can help you with your possessed Monte . Does the aftermarket radio work ? Have you checked your ground wire connections ? Have you checked all your fuses ?
Relays ? What experience, knowledge to you have ? Tools like electrical testers ? Are you getting any codes or lights ?

Good Luck & I hope one of our member's can assist.

p.s. Thanks `Curt for your above post. I was searching my files for a same or similar problem, but could not find it.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-13-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Often times strange things happening inside is a result of a failing bcm. Search around here and you'll probably find similar things. One key description is people usually say it's like their car is possessed.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi S.S.Blue,
I hope one of our expert member's can help you with your possessed Monte . Does the aftermarket radio work ? Have you checked your ground wire connections ? Have you checked all your fuses ?
Relays ? What experience, knowledge to you have ? Tools like electrical testers ? Are you getting any codes or lights ?

Good Luck & I hope one of our member's can assist.

p.s. Thanks `Curt for your above post. I was searching my files for a same or similar problem, but could not find it.
First of all, thank you for the replies so far, everyone of them helps as it gives me some directions to look into... Admittedly, I'm an Audi/VW factory trained tech, and have a lot of experience with old Fords-classic to 95 mustangs...last chevy I owned and worked on was a 91 K2500 4x4 w/throttle body fuel injection. I originally bought this car to be just a sporty, slightly modded DD, and after all the money I've got wrapped up in this car, I'm taking the budget blinders off, and I'm just wanting to fix and restore this car and modify the crap out of it. (I'm thinking boost. LOL)

That said... I'm pretty familiar with obd 1 & 2 systems along with digital multi-meters and test lights, but I'm new to modern GM's. I had a grunge of codes when I first got this... even had some posts about them... however I'm pretty sure I've knocked all of them out as the codes have not reoccurred since the last time I cleared them. I'll have to re-scan it for BCM codes as my scanner is old, and only handles the ECM. I know I have a code for a front wheel abs sensor, however, I'm pretty sure my front wheel bearings are shot, and I'm already planning on replacing those...

--BTW, Yes, the aftermarket radio does work... I did notice that it looks like a wire is spliced into the factory harness, probably for the aftermarket radio Does anyone have any digital/picture/scans of the wiring harness stuff they could share with me? With all the stuff I've had to buy and am buying to fix the mechanical stuff wrong with this car, I'm a little cash poor atm...