Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Warning indicator malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Default Warning indicator malfunction

I have a 2006 Monte LT at 78k with a strange electrical problem. Over the past week, several of the warning lights have been randomly coming on for a short period of time, about ten minutes. These include Check Engine, Security, ABS and Charging. And several times the DIC has displayed the Check Charging System message. They do not appear to have any affect on operation of the car. They do not appear to have any connection to starting.
Btw, the power steering has dropped out several times when at low speed and idle, but this has no connection to the indicator lights. Isn't steering purely mechanical? The belt feels ok with no squealing. Power loss is both directions with no additional noise at the limits.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by lpowell
I have a 2006 Monte LT at 78k with a strange electrical problem. Over the past week, several of the warning lights have been randomly coming on for a short period of time, about ten minutes. These include Check Engine, Security, ABS and Charging. And several times the DIC has displayed the Check Charging System message. They do not appear to have any affect on operation of the car. They do not appear to have any connection to starting.
Btw, the power steering has dropped out several times when at low speed and idle, but this has no connection to the indicator lights. Isn't steering purely mechanical? The belt feels ok with no squealing. Power loss is both directions with no additional noise at the limits.

Ok here is something I picked up on google, you might want to check on this as well. I have had a few go bad and so have a couple of friends as well and this might be the beginning of a bad ECM or ECU.
A symptom of a bad or failing ECM is erratic engine behavior. A faulty computer may cause the vehicle to intermittently have issues such as stalling or misfires. The symptoms may come and go, and may not appear to have any sort of pattern to their frequency or severity.