Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1st Gen ('70-'72): Vinyl Top Trim Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Default Vinyl Top Trim Removal Help

I am doing the traditional rust repair on my rear window pillers on my 1970 Monte with the original vinyl top. Does anyone know the "proper" way to remove the trim around the vinyl top? The clips appear to be spring loaded at the edges of the trim pieces holding them to the body of the car. They appear to twist/rotate/spin (suppose to but they are 45 years old now). I don't want to bend the trim pieces but need to remove them. The clips themselves are bolted into the body of the car. Surely Chevy didn't intend for someone to unbolt these from inside the car under all of the panels. The clips in the center of the trim is no problem. The ones I need help with are the end clips of the trim.

Eventually I will need assistance on how to remove the lower body trim as well for more rust repair.

Thank you Greg

Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi Greg. Welcome to the forum!!
I found this information and hopefully it will be helpful with your vinyl top removal.
"The rear corner "L" shaped pieces are pot metal. They have a stud and a speed nut. If you look up inside the trunk you will see the nuts. Unscrew them and you should be able to GENTLY pry them up/away from the surrounding trim. After they have been removed, you should be able to slide the piece by the trunk sideways and off the plastic clips. Next, slide the bottom trim between the rear 1/4 window and back window backwards towards the tail lights. Again, as you slide it there should be a slot big enough to dis-engage it from the plastic clips. Unscrew the tab at the bottom of the "Z" shaped vertical pieces and remove them. Next, carefully slide the long side pieces over the side windows backwards towards the tail lights and off the plastic clips. I don't remember if there are any tabs and screws for the front cross piece, but by now you should have the hang of it. Finally, the plastic clips have a keyhole shape to them, simply slide them to the opening and pull them off from the studs that are welded to the body. Go slowly and don't force things. The pieces mostly slide into and out of place and interlock. The key is the FRAGILE pot metal pieces on the lower corners.."

Old 02-04-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by P343
Hi Greg. Welcome to the forum!!
I found this information and hopefully it will be helpful with your vinyl top removal.
"The rear corner "L" shaped pieces are pot metal. They have a stud and a speed nut. If you look up inside the trunk you will see the nuts. Unscrew them and you should be able to GENTLY pry them up/away from the surrounding trim. After they have been removed, you should be able to slide the piece by the trunk sideways and off the plastic clips. Next, slide the bottom trim between the rear 1/4 window and back window backwards towards the tail lights. Again, as you slide it there should be a slot big enough to dis-engage it from the plastic clips. Unscrew the tab at the bottom of the "Z" shaped vertical pieces and remove them. Next, carefully slide the long side pieces over the side windows backwards towards the tail lights and off the plastic clips. I don't remember if there are any tabs and screws for the front cross piece, but by now you should have the hang of it. Finally, the plastic clips have a keyhole shape to them, simply slide them to the opening and pull them off from the studs that are welded to the body. Go slowly and don't force things. The pieces mostly slide into and out of place and interlock. The key is the FRAGILE pot metal pieces on the lower corners.."
Awesome, thank you.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Not a problem. We are here to help!!
Have a great day!!