Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

VIBRATION AT 45 MPH AND ON

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Default VIBRATION AT 45 MPH AND ON

Here's my issue I have a 2006 MC SS with very low miles. I noticed when i reach a speed of 45 mph or so the passenger seat vibrates, which is really annoying. The steering wheel vibrates a little not to bad. I took the SS in three times to the dealer. The first time they said all four tires were roadforced and all four had a flat spot in them, so they replaced all four tires(for free). The second time they re-balanced the tires and gave it back to me. They was still the same vibration. The third time the service tech and the mechanic drove in the vehicle the tech said there was bearly any vibration (enough to shake the fat on his legs) The agian balanced the tires and said NO PROBLEMS, he then stated that the tires are low profile tires sothats probablythe problem. Now with only 17000 miles I think i should drive nice and smooth with no vibration or is it just me?Does anyone else have this problem?

The car drives straight as an arrow so Im sure its not the alignment. Any suggestions I qould appreciate because the shaking is getting real old.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Default RE: VIBRATION AT 45 MPH AND ON

My 06 doesn't shake at all.Maybe there is a warped brake rotor???I had a Dodge one time that had avibration like that at certain speeds.It finally turned out that a golf ball sized rock had kicked up and was jammed between the frame and transmission.Sometimes it is something like that that you would never think of..

Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 AM

My 06 also doesn't shake. I once had a problem with an '94 Grand Prix that developed a shake after I rotated the tires (about 8K miles on the tires). I took it to be aligned. The guy set the car up perfectly, but still had a vibration. The mechanic said it was most likely a slipped belt in the tire, and that it only became apparent when that tire was put on the front of the car. Unfortunately, you had the tires replaced and still have the problem. You may want to look into something like a slightly bent rim. With the low profile tires, a slight bend with be accentuated while driving at 45 mph+. This could have been caused by hitting a pot hole.

One other thing you may want to look into is finding a tire shop that can balance the wheels on the car. This would take into account anything out of balance with the hub assembly. If that doesn't do it, you may have to have the front end looked at to ensure everything is as it should be.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 AM

I've got some minor vibration with my 06 SS (13K miles), but it's not a constant thing. Some cars are more sensitive to tire/wheel balancing than others (the Lincoln Mark VIII is notorious for this). I know that on a Mark, you're wasting your time unless you have the job done on one of the advanced Hunter machines. I believe this one is the current state-of-the-art: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/technical/4127T/4127t.cfm

However, aHunter 9600 or higher should do the trick. Apparently, these machines even communicate where to position the tire on the wheel itself in order toachieve a perfect balance - plus a bunch of other stuff that I don't understand. You might want to find out what machine your dealership uses.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:49 PM

It does sound like a balance issue, but could be other things. Since you said they were road forced I would make sure they put the lowest number on the left front then the right front then the left rear then right rear. Check to see if they wrote the road force numbers on the mounting surface of the wheel, as they should. If your tires are directional make sure they are on the correct side of the car.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Maybe try tightening down the seat? I mean obviously it's on the right side of the car... perhaps something hardly noticable is being enhanced by a loose bolt somewhere?

If it's in your steering wheel as well I would start seriously looking into checking out different parts of the drivetrain. If you can feel it in the wheel, then it's in the front end almost certainly.Inspect the brake rotor while it'soff. Believe it or not, even dried mud in the rotor can make a difference.

Have you flipped the engine mounts? Try this, if it enhances the vibration, you KNOW it's in the drivetrain (engine to the frontwheels) Don't worry, it's easy to reverse if you dislike the results. (look in the DIY section for engine mount or motor mount)

Rotate the tires just side to side, not front to back, see if that makes it worse on your side of the car, and less noticable on the passenger side. If it's still the same, then you know it's not the wheels.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Hi, check to see if you have thrown a wheel weight off one of the wheels. It could be any one of them.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:31 PM

i have an 06 2LT and i had the SAME exact problem. At least it sounded like it. I have 30000 miles on my car now and i just replaced my warped rotors.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:56 AM

I recently bought a 2007 MC SS, have had it 3 weeks and had been in the shop 4 times. Only has 8,700 miles on it. Same issue. The vibration I get is worse at 53-63 mph. My husband is a master tech and says its the axle. Try getting the dealership to listen to you!

They put on 4 new tires, lowest rating in the front for road force. Had the service manager ride with me so I can show him the issues. His reply is that all the new Montes, Impalas, and Malibus are having issues with all goodyear eagle rs-a tires. Good year is using old molds which is making the rubber not balance out right. There has been several cars in the shop for the same reason. He told me to run nitrogen in the tires.

Thats one of the first things I had done, second day owning the car had the tire air replaced with Nitro.

When I asked the service advisor today what year did goodyear start to have the road force issue with the eagle rs-a tires, she replies.." They arent! Its just the way the MC SS rides, it has a sport suspension. We have no issues with Impalas or Malibus with this tire." Nice conflicting statements. She stumbled over her words when I mentioned the service manager stated the opposite.

My steering wheel shakes, front seats shake, mirror shakes, my voice even shakes while talking when the vibration is at its worst. My radar detector just about pops off the window from the vibration. I took it in today being the 4th time, they tell me.... "It's normal!"

I had a Grand Prix GT with the same tires, NEVER had an issue!

My father had an 06 Impala SS, same issue. Bought the car off the show room floor. Dealership put over 300 miles and 4 sets of tires before they broke down and replaced the axle. Vibration went away after the axle was replaced.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM

New solution to the problem.... Try a different mechanic. If you have exhausted the current ones knowledge try to find someone more knowledgeable.