Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Vibrating steering while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Vibrating steering while driving

I've got this weird vibration while driving. I can feel it in the steering but also throughout the car. I've replaced the wheel hubs, new brake rotors and new tires, all which were necessary fixes anyway, but the problem is still there. I'm wondering if the alignment is bad? I've already spent enough on this car this month and don't want to shell out $70 more if I can avoid it, and if that is the issue I'd like to know. Just getting sick of it. It definitely feels like it's coming from the wheels I doubt it's engine related at all. I don't drive particularly rough roads etc. thoughts?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bfenty
I've got this weird vibration while driving. I can feel it in the steering but also throughout the car. I've replaced the wheel hubs, new brake rotors and new tires, all which were necessary fixes anyway, but the problem is still there. I'm wondering if the alignment is bad? I've already spent enough on this car this month and don't want to shell out $70 more if I can avoid it, and if that is the issue I'd like to know. Just getting sick of it. It definitely feels like it's coming from the wheels I doubt it's engine related at all. I don't drive particularly rough roads etc. thoughts?
Maybe,
You have a bent rim? The wheels and tires are improperly balanced? Maybe it threw a wheel weight? Have you had the balance checked?

How many miles on the "New" tires? Or are they used tires that are new to you? Maybe the tires are out of round? If its out of alignment generally it will pull in one direction or the other... Does it pull? Did you hit a curb? a bad pothole?

Maybe you have broken motor/trans mounts?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Only while turning, or while driving in a straight line too?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 AM

go under car grab axle by different segments and wiggle.... should be very little play. Although with this issue my symptoms were more prominent when trying to accelerate.

like above said, tighen and check condition of motor and transmission mounts, also check upper mounts, the rubber sleves are very easily to damage.

try to tighten down any loose bolts, check entite suspension.

if not that, jack both wheels up and have someone to spin the wheels up, you should be able to isolate the vibration from there.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the replies. It does not pull at all in a direction. It vibrates at random while driving, sometimes worse than others but not worse while accelerating. The faster I'm going it seems to be worse. The tires are brand new. I know what you guys are saying about trans and engine mounts but I just really don't think that's it.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Raise your car on a Jack like you are changing a flat but don't take wheel off. Then reach under and grab your axle. As said above, there should be little if any play.
My inner CV joint was bad and it gave me those same symptoms.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks-I will check the axle. If that IS it...how hard is the axle to replace? I just replaced the wheel hubs last weekend (thinking that might be the problem, they were bad too) and it seemed like it wouldn't be too much more to take off to get the axle off.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

If That's your problem, it's not that hard Theoretically! If it does not come apart. You may need a pry bar to pop it out of the Trans. But That's it.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member

Reason I think that might be it, is the mechanic mentioned about 6 months ago that it might need to be replaced but that it's no big deal. From the way he said it, it sounded like he was just trying to make some cash off of me, but now...it's got me thinking for sure. I've been chasing this vibration for a while, and several hundred dollars later, I'm ready to be done with it.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member

The more I read about the symptoms of an inner CV joint failure, the more it sounds like EXACTLY what I've been experiencing. Luckily it seems to be a (relatively) cheap and easy fix.

Quick Reply: Vibrating steering while driving