Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Vibrating steering wheel and front wheel squeaking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Default Vibrating steering wheel and front wheel squeaking.

Hello everyone,

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo LT with 120k miles on it. Two days ago I noticed when I first put my car in reverse (or drive) to leave my driveway, I hear a metal squeaking sound coming from the front wheels. Then, while driving, it feels like the road is bumpy and the steering wheel slightly vibrates until I reach 60+ mph. I don't notice any squeaking when I break - it's only when I'm first pulling off under 5 mph.

I've checked around on these forums for similar postings, and it sounds like it could be a wheel hub / bearings issue. That sound about right?

Thanks!

Last edited by silkwormxl; 06-07-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:25 PM

It's definitely related to something that turns, and has metal in it. That narrows it down to the hub, the rotor, or the tire. It ain't the tire. No squeaking when you brake doesn't mean it isn't the brakes--the modern wear sensor squeaks when you don't brake, not when you do.

So, brakes or hubs.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree, modern wear indicators can squeak sometimes when you don't brake and stop when you do brake. I would first check the health of your rotors and pads. As for the vibration, not sure the best point to start other then jack the car up and wiggle test all the suspension parts. I had cheap/crappy rotors on a car from the previous owner and the back side of the rotors was coming apart, caused a variety of problems, including a balancing issue (had a vibration like a wheel was out of balance, here it was a crap rotor).

Old 06-12-2017, 02:11 PM

Problem Solved: Took it in to the mechanic this morning. Ended up being separated tread on the front driver-side tire. Apparently from hitting something like a pothole. Wasn't me - most likely the girlfriend who also uses the car. In any event, got both of the front tires replaced. They said the metal squeak sound was from rust build up on the breaks due to the Oklahoma humidity. Haven't heard any more squeals and my car is steady once again. Good as new!

Thanks all for the input!

Last edited by silkwormxl; 06-12-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Even though I said it wasn't the tire, I did offer that as one of the three possibilities. So...(bowing deeply) Glad it's solved.