Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Uhhhh???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member
Default Uhhhh???!!!

SO I was driving down a wet bumpy gravel road tonight and my lights turned off and then turned back on... then only my brights and lows would stay on and when I flipped my multi-task switch it would turn my lights all the way off except my orange ones.... wtf??

My switch has been acting funny lately, I will click it and just my brights will come on, click it again and they both come on and once more and it's just my lows, sometimes nothing even happens and my lights will just dim and stay on the same setting.. not sure if I explained this well enough, but I hope someone can help me figure this out before I drop the thing off at the dealer and have to pay for them to figure it out...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
-Ash

Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The multi-function switch goes bad a lot on Montes from what I've seen, I haven't personally had a problem but that sounds like that's what your issue is.

Here's the cheapest one on ebay:

Multi-Function/Turn Signal/Wiper/Washer/High Beam Switch/Lever | eBay

I may be able to grab one at the yard but I'm not sure when I'll be going next, since I forgot my wallet this week and don't have cash :/

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Thanks Mitch! That's what Mike said too, so hopefully I can find one cheap that works and see if that's my problem. Fingers crossed it is.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

That link is the cheapest I've ever seen them. I have looked periodically because I need one. My washer's don't spray, but i'm not gonna change the switch just for that.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Wouldn't surprise me if that's what's bad.

I know the mid 90's Grand Ams had issues with their mutli-function turn signal wand (I have replaced the one in my Grand Am a total of 3 times, usually it starts with unable to turn on high beams and after a couple of months, the low beams might not turn on any more, thank god I at least had fogs that worked). Almost every mid-90's Grand Am I knew changed that part at least once.

I know on my Monte, I can't turn on the high beams. Since I hardly use the high beams, I wait until I have a larger scale problem before buying a replacement.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

That is pretty cheap for a new one, mine still works great lol prob cuz i nvr use it im bad about not signaling & my highs are on a new switch