Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Uh oh , car died 😱

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Uh oh , car died 😱

Hey guys !!!

Well finally took my car out of storage yesterday and was super excited . Drove it to work and around town and it ran perfectly . Anyways on my way home from work I got to a stop light and then bam the car just shut off. Didn't stumble like it lost fuel it just all at once turned off after wards it would not refire . It just cranks and cranks and nothing happens . So had to get it towed back to the shop I worked at and headed home .

So I took a look today and scanned the car only codes I had was for fuel pressure sensor to high. So I checked if I had fuel at the rail and I did. Next I hooked up our snap on scanner and looked at the ckp 3x and 18x signals while I was cranking and both numbers were changing . Next I checked for spark and I got nothing . I'm thinking its a bad icm but never had to replace one on these cars .
Not sure if having it in storage ruined it ☺️😄😄
Any ideas guys? Thanks

Old 05-06-2015, 10:03 PM

In all honesty I know exactly what you're talking about but in my opinion, always start with the basics.

If I was in your shoes and my car suddenly I'd attempt to get a jump start instead of pay 100-200+ for towing. If my car starts I'd know immediately the car has an electrical/charging problem. So there for first thing I'd check is the alternator, if it checks out, then starter.

Try those two guys first before you go too deep in and spend money on absolutely nothing necessary.

I say this cause my buddy's SNAP-ON scanner read I have 39 damn problems with my Monte yet I don't have a CEL on or intermittent CEL (I.E. Vacuum leaks). But do all these 39 code effect my mpg, acceleration, reliabilty? Sadly..... NO. they're there more for mechanics to print BS out to scare the unlnowlagable customer so they spend more molal$$. But truly a snap on scanner is useless IMO UNLESS TOU HAVE A HIGHLY MODIFIED car or a crap load of CEL codes.

This prolly didn't solve anything regarding you're original post but I did work as a mechanic for 3 years and if you would've broughy your Monte in, after the initial BS $100 diagnostic fee I'd be able to pin point your problem down with a needle.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member

Ok so i was able to get my hands on a brand new Ac delco ICM from a parts store to "try out" and still nothing so now im thinking the crank sensor might have died?? Any ideas guys

Old 05-07-2015, 04:43 PM

Crank sensor will give out a CEL

Old 05-07-2015, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Crank sensor will give out a CEL
Ive heard that it will and might not give a cel. Only codes i had were for a pressure sensor for evap. This is starting to drive me nuts! haha

Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
Default Bad Crank Sensor!

Hey Guys! So good news it ended up being the crank sensor as i first suspected Wasnt hard to change longest part of the whole job was finding bolts that were the right length and thread for the balancer. After that the car was running within 5 minutes of putting everything back together! Put a good 100 kms on it the other day going on the highway and city and it never stumbled! Hope this will help someone in he future