Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Default turn signal problems

Hey guys...i am new to this forum. i have a 2001 monte carlo ss. I have one major problem. When i go to use my turn signals...they either don't work or they work for a couple of seconds and then cut off. The same is true with my emergency flashers. Usually to get them to work again, i would have to keep pressing the emergency flashers until they come back on. Going to college where the cops will pull you over for not using you turn signal and issue you a $150 ticket...this has got me kind of worried. Thanks in advance.

Sorry guys....as you know i am new here and didnt search before i posted. I see other people are having the same problems as me. I figured out that it is the hazard flasher switch. Anyone have any information on where to get one and how hard they are to install. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Default RE: turn signal problems

ok the good news is this should hopefully be a easy fix.

the bad news is you will have to take the dash apart to find out. LOL

Not real tuff just watch your key in the Ing. as you will have to have it in there and most folks tend to pull the dash apart hard enough that it will force the key out of the switch and ruin a other wise good switch. so be carefule with it.

1. take the key off of all key rings.
2. take off bottom of dash on drivers side foot well
3. take off drivers side lower dash (part right infornt of your knees.
4. take out the three screws holding the dash in place. ( one in fuse panel on drivers side of car, one in glove box on pass. side of car, and two in the bottom part of the dash . (you should have those all out already to get this far)

5. now pull on the dash the whole front part of your dash will come out in one peice. JUST BECAREFUL!!! OF THE ING> SWITCH. and also the wires for the Hazard switch like to hang up to sometimes.

6. now after you get it snaped out the haz. switch wireing harness will be right in front of you at the top of the dash. has a green plug on it.

7. make sure it is not broken and is pluged soild. IF IT IS NOT then try pluging it back in and checking if the problem is still there. Could be someone took the dash apart and broke the catch off of it or the switch and causes it to wiggel free some.

8. If it is good there and or the problem still continues then take the switch out of the dash. IT will snap in there with a latch top and bottom of the switch. take a small flat screw driver and BEING REAL CARFULE NOT TO GET THE FINGERS OR THE REST OF TEH DASH. pop out the switch and replace it.

9. now try the new switch and see if this cures the issue. IF it still dose not then make sure all of the wireing and the harness all look in good shape and still not scuffed up or broke threw any where. Also check the ground wires that go behind the dash and make sure they are tight also.

this should cure it.
the t-signals on our cars are all tied in to that hazzard switch when it gose bad your T-signals wont work the way they should so you replace it and move on with life. Good news is they are like 30.00 orderd threw GM .

good luck keep us posted on this.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the help mickey...i will order a new switch tom.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:41 AM

any time hope it fixes it for you.

belive it or not you can pretty much take the whole car aprt with a few hand tools on the inside. if it dont snap in then it will have a few small screwes in there to hold it in place.

if it dont feel like it is comming apart for you dont force it it is plastic ! So make sure the screws are out and i didnt forget to tell you about one.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 PM

Not real tuff just watch your key in the Ing. as you will have to have it in there and most folks tend to pull the dash apart hard enough that it will force the key out of the switch and ruin a other wise good switch. so be carefule with it.

WHEN are you going to stop picking on me for this Mickey??? WHEN?

lol

Nice write up Mickey!!

Old 07-29-2006, 02:14 PM

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont feel bad the dealer just did it to mine last week and the damed ing switch in there was only a month old from the last fool that did it.

this is almost funny. think it is more i eed to laugh or i would cry for the way they treat the car there LOL

Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 PM

can you tape the key to stay in?
Also what is the significance of the key being in the ignition?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:59 PM

I just started having the same problems with the turn signals as well ...I think mine is messed up from the dealership doing work on my car 6 times to get warranty issues fixed correctly also me threatening to call gm customer assistance to get my car fixed correctly.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Mine decided to quit one day so I cruised to the dealer to buy a new switch. Well they were out and so was GM, but the dealer said he could have one in a few weeks. Well I got home that night and rapidly hit the switch with my index finger about 20 times. It started to work again and has been fine for a few months now. I would try this first before investing in a new switch.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
can you tape the key to stay in?
Also what is the significance of the key being in the ignition?
The key has to be in there (and in ACC or ON) to move the shifter out of the way. If the car is in Park, the portion of the Dash around the AC controls will get hung up next to the shifter. Also, for obvious reasons, set the Parking Brake! I know this because I had to replace the AC controls because of burnt out bulbs..

Quick Reply: turn signal problems