Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Default turn signal problems

Alll, My 2001 SS has a weird probem. Sometimes the turn signals don't work. To get them to work I hit the emergency flashers and they work again. Any ideas? Also, sometimes the driver's side window doesn't go up. Is that a switch or motor going out? thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

start by checking all your switches b/c usually thats what goes first & if its not them than start checking everything else

Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by jedimcca
Alll, My 2001 SS has a weird probem. Sometimes the turn signals don't work. To get them to work I hit the emergency flashers and they work again. Any ideas? Also, sometimes the driver's side window doesn't go up. Is that a switch or motor going out? thanks.
I had the same problem with my turn signals and once I replaced the flasher's switch the problem went away. Sometimes when the window switch gets dirty or wet, or both, it can get shorted out and refuse to work. I had a similar problem with a previous Monte and, once I too the switch apart and cleaned the contacts, the switch worked fine till I sold the car years later.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM

I too had some weird problems with turn signals. The brake lights, running lights and turn signals all worked, but not at the same time. Jiggling the multifunction switch would fix it. The problem was a worn out turn signal switch. It's a pain in the *** to get to. Involving removal of the airbag, steering wheel, various rings, clips, cancel cams, lower dash pads and connectors under the dash. Then, because its an electrical gremlin, you reassemble everything and hope that you resolved the issue! In my case it worked. Oh, and if you do this, buy a new cancel cam ahead of time. Mine was cheap plastic and was already broken inside the wheel. If you don't need it, you can return it.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 AM

If neither turn signal works, I wonder if it could be a turn signal relay. That might be a cheaper and easier first attmpted "fix" depending on cost/location.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Mine does the same thing about once a month. It's the hazard switch itself or a loose connection on the back of the switch. It's a very common problem.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:36 PM

It's the hazard switch. Its pretty easy to replace.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM

i had that same problem on my 97 lumina what i did was gets some electrical cleaner spray, and spray the crap out of the wires and turn signal bar by the steering wheel. it worked for me, but might not be the same problem.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Mine does this too. It's pretty much an everyday thing. Seems like once the car warms up they work normally, but until then, they rarely work

Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Default 2002 monte carlo hazard switch

i also will have the same problem that effects my turn signals. i bought a new one on RockAuto.com for $26. now that i have it, i need the steps to install the new switch. please help.

Quick Reply: turn signal problems